Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Men-Stay Single, Live Long
Old 08-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or at least cut out one threat to your lifespan.

Is Wife Who Killed Husband Cured of PTSD? - Newsweek Health - MSNBC.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why do single men live longer than married men(

(Scroll down)

Because they want to.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Because they want to.[/quote]

And are allowed to ....
Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I thought married men lived longer? Or does it only seem longer?

Just kidding! Don't tell DW I said that!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Best bumper sticker I ever saw:

"Marriage is the legal way for Women to Kill their Spouses over time"..........

Maybe HaHa needs that on his car.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I should probably make it clear that I don't think wives are any worse than husbands. Certainly I am as annoying as my ex, just in different ways. I could have stood her weirdness; she got terminally tired of mine.

I just think the whole institution was designed by the devil.

Over the past 5 years 4 couples in my social group have gotten married. So far, 2 of them have divorced. One couple seems to be doing fine, the other is still on their honeymoon so I think we’ll have to wait a while on that.

The ex-husbands just look kind of shocked like what the hell happened to me? The ex-wives are sure it would have continued copacetic if their husbands had only been willing to change in certain specified ways.

Personally, I have given instructions that if anyone ever notices me acting like I am experiencing romance they are supposed to take me out on a cold day and blast me with water hoses. If this doesn't work there are other steps to take.

I will say that the apparently happiest married people I have ever come across are on this board. Maybe focusing so intently on FIRE distracts people from their normal occupation of firing volleys at one another?

Ha
Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Common goals, common values, and belief that marraige is more than just a contract with tax implications. DW and I ( I believe/hope anyway) are just the marrying type, I've met plenty of people who should never get married. Some manage to avoid it and are just as happy as we are.

My two cents is that I try to compliment DW every day, and not just a generic "your great" but to point out something she's done that I really appreciate. Like the fact that when she packs me lunch she always puts on all the good stuff. In the lunch room when I've got a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, red onions and pickles and the other guys have meat and cheese, I smile.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

I've been happily married and unhappily married just not to the same guy .I learned my lesson find someone who doesn't need changing and life is good.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #9

Married men Live Longer

According to this and many other studies, marriage has a positive effect on men's health longevity, and a negative effect on women.

Although according to Johnny Carson, who was, is and will always be right, "Married men live longer than single men. But married men are a lot more willing to die."

GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and financial stability. Money problems are a leading cause of marital strife.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think working on a common goal such as FIRE definitely helps keep a couple together...at least it has for DH and me.

What's the use of being married and walking the path alone?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #12

"The woman applying for a job in a Florida lemon grove seemed way too qualified for the job.'Look Miss,' said the foreman, 'have you any actual experience in picking lemons?'
'Well, as a matter if fact, yes!' she replied.? 'I've been divorced three times.'"
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
"The woman applying for a job in a Florida lemon grove seemed way too qualified for the job.'Look Miss,' said the foreman, 'have you any actual experience in picking lemons?'
'Well, as a matter if fact, yes!' she replied.? 'I've been divorced three times.'"

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

laurencewill:
Quote:
Oh, and financial stability. Money problems are a leading cause of marital strife.
That was my experience. The problem wasn't that we were in debt. Rather it was that we weren't deep enough in debt to suit her. She ended up divorcing me and inside of 8 months had blown through her share of the settlement.

Although I didn't think so at the time, I can now look back and recognize that she did me a favor by divorcing me. It's nice to be able to reasonably LBMM saving for retirement and not have the strife of a different point of view and to constantly battle her irresponsible financial habits.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
Married men Live Longer

According to this and many other studies, marriage has a positive effect on men's health longevity, and a negative effect on women.

Although according to Johnny Carson, who was, is and will always be right, "Married men live longer than single men. But married men are a lot more willing to die."

i'm guessing cuz the single guys are eating more hungry man/mcd's dinners, not going to the doctor/dentist, and smoking/drinking a lot more?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I wonder if it is money problems or money incompatibility. I think it is the latter. My ex and I never had financial problems, but we did disagree on how much we should spend/save/invest/give away. I think some differences of opinion are OK as long as the two people are close enough that their comfort zones overlap. My ex and I, in retrospect, did compromise fairly well in the sense that what we ended up doing was half way between what each of us would have preferred individually. It's just that that compromise always felt like too much of a stretch for both of us.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #17

I have a few friends that are single and I have some relatives in their 80's, who are single and they say that the secret is the "absence of NAGGING."

Instead of a DW they have pets (birds, snakes, dogs, cats, etc.., etc..) which they say never talk much, they are not demanding and they do NOT NAG.

As a married man I believe that the NAGGING goes both ways and is about even. There is GOOD NAGGING and BAD NAGGING. I love both of them it makes for a very interesting life.

GOD BLESS
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

If I had stayed single, I would have drank myself to death long ago.