Men: Why is suicide the answer to business losses?

That is a real sad story. Money is the only reason they are together? I'm sure there are many hidden factors behind the whole thing, but on the surface it looks very sad.

I did not think that money is necessarily the only reason that they are together. However it doesn't appear to be love any longer, and for his part I think he is a little or more than a little fed up, but he is in a bind. She respects him I think. But let's be realistic- they do not LBYM, they live in an expensive city, and she would be in deep poop without him paying the bills, providing health insurance and equally important being entitled to a good public sector pension. And he would join the legions of guys trying to get along on half his pay, then half his pension. Half at best, because the juge may decide that he has to make her whole with respect to health insurance or whatever he in in the mood to do that day. Same fo rher, her standard of living wojuld take a big hit if she were forced to go with 1/2- and she would have teh health insurance issue to deal with.

Is she going to commit economic hara kiri and go looking for love? He may sneak some here and there, but is he going to lay himself open to big losses by openly dating some other woman?

In a sane world they could stay together, get their own lovers but stay respectful of one another and not be taking big risks. But our world is no longer sane.

People like many on this board who escape these heavy emotional predicaments are doing an excellent job, and maybe also getting some help from God. :)

Ha

I have seen some very good points made by our male contributors which make a lot of sense. I do believe there are different expectations for males and females, especially when it comes to supporting your family. I can see where a man would be made to feel like a failure if he lost his job whereas for a female many people would probably blather about it being an opportunity for her to stay home with her family..

But I don't buy that a man will kill himself because he can not support his family... very few men carry enough life insurance to support a family, so him killing himself is the WORST thing he can do when it comes to his family... who does he think will take care of them now? Especially if there are children and the wife has not worked in many many years... they will go into poverty or be struggling until she can get her life turned around...

Society places such heavy expectations on men and so little on us women. If I, as a woman, don't achieve much and lack ambition nothing much is ever said about it by anyone. It's just accepted. However, it seems that if a man doesn't have much ambition...whooo, boy! he is really put-down for it by most middle and upper-class families, anyway.
The other thing I never got over is that I always had my own house after I divorced when my son was 2-1/2, and you would never believe how many people made comments about how "wonderful" it was that I bought a house..all by my little ole self. What's the big deal?
I'll guarantee if the shoe was on the other foot--and a man was in the same position as a single parent with a house--nobody would say anything much about it being so "wonderful" that he had a house for his child to grow up in.
There are some really big inequities in our thinking when it comes to the expectations we have for men vs. women.
Not only is this unfair to the men, but the common attitudes about women actually holds us women back!!! We have a looooong way to go with this equality thing.

My guess would be for love...or someone to help him find his socks.....:)

Sooo - I guess in Missouri it's ok to have an SO - she suggested goldfish so I bought six of them(38 gallon). Boy can those suckers poo. Had to go talk to another lady at the fish place - change water periodically, feeding habits, water chemicals, and lighting.

At least I know where my socks are now.

heh heh heh - :D ;)

(I was a Beaver Leader for 5 years and got to understand the complexities of dealing with moms and dads. I was going to write a book about it but too much time has passed.)

Must...Ignore...Slow...Pitch...

But I don't buy that a man will kill himself because he can not support his family... very few men carry enough life insurance to support a family, so him killing himself is the WORST thing he can do when it comes to his family... who does he think will take care of them now? Especially if there are children and the wife has not worked in many many years... they will go into poverty or be struggling until she can get her life turned around...
That reminded me of the insurance coverage approach DW and I took while we were working. We each carried enough term life that the other could retire if we died. Our theory was that after that trauma the survivor deserved to FIRE.

...late to this hijacked thread, but happy to be here- I am a beaver enthusiast, too!

June to Ward: I think you were a little tough on the beaver last night...

...been waiting for an opportunity to post this one,
thanks to Brewer for the hijack. :D

Attachments

• Beaver.jpg
    Beaver.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 59
beaver...interesting......

....so does this mean a woman should be looking for a woodchuck or woodpecker?

Back
Top Bottom