Mesh shoe repair

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I have a pair of shoes with a mesh top. They are so comfortable they are now my only choice for just about every occasion. After 7 months, though, there's a problem - a hole above the big toe. This has happened to me with running shoes but not regular wear. A patch over the hole is not an option because it would ruin the appearance. Duct tape on the inside doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions for how to repair the shoe mesh, and also how to prevent it from happening with a new shoe?

Might help if you could post a photo of it.

My first thought was a piece of moleskin on the inside, but another idea might be Tear Mender. Worth a try.

Can you stitch it? I also almost wonder if you are buying the wrong size shoes if you have this problem consistently.

It would seem unlikely to be able to repair mesh in a way that looks okay. Maybe a shoe repair place can make a new 'nose" for the front of both shoes (matching/complimentary color/pattern)? If made of something strong enough, it might prevent a recurrence.

You'd have to find a true shoe repair shop, and it wouldn't be cheap, but if you really like the shoes, it might be worth it.

Preventing--do you know what is causing it? I tear up a lot of my shoes on the wheels/undercarriage of my office chair as I often sit with my feet at all kinds of angles under there.

Sand off those sharp edges after you clip 'em?

Sorry, it's been a long day. A photo, as requested. I'll respond to the other comments in a bit.

Attachments

• Shoe.jpg
    Shoe.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 28
I bet you $100, you are buying a half to one size too small.

Shoe fits perfectly. (I'll take that $100, thank you :)). No socks. That's the issue - the hole is right above the toe nail.

To prevent future wear, a patch inside the shoe above the toe should work. I tried duct tape, it doesn't stay in place. I've browsed the interwebs and Amazon but haven't found anything useful.

A repair for this hole would also be nice, but I don't have high hopes. Perhaps the same patch, just colored to try and match the grey.

To get better adhesion - lightly brush (to keep from oozing through) the target area with rubber/contact cement. Let dry, apply the patch. Gorilla tape is stickier/tougher than other duct tape and black (top side) unfortunately the sticky side is grey.

Second alternative solution - black magic marker.

3rd option - line the toe with a dryer sheet... several folks around here have vast collections and may be able to offer one up.:)

Shoe fits perfectly. (I'll take that $100, thank you :)). No socks. That's the issue - the hole is right above the toe nail.

To prevent future wear, a patch inside the shoe above the toe should work. I tried duct tape, it doesn't stay in place. I've browsed the interwebs and Amazon but haven't found anything useful.

A repair for this hole would also be nice, but I don't have high hopes. Perhaps the same patch, just colored to try and match the grey.

I have the same shoes (love OluKai) and they are supposed to fit loose, wiggly. My toes don't touch. Try trimming your nail too.

If I really liked the shoes and had already bought another pair, before I threw out the first pair I'd dip just the toe of each shoe in black Plastidip (the stuff used to coat the handles of hand tools). It is tough, and might just work--the mesh will give it plenty to grab on to. Or, get a bright color to make a fashion statement. The toes probably would still get enough ventilation if it was kept close to the front.

I don't know what these cost, but if I wore a pair of shoes every day for 7 months, I would think I got my money's worth.

www.Sugru.com

Look in their gallery (links showing ideas on the website) and you'll see how others have repaired shoes.

I'm thinking that you make the toes of the shoes look like those Converse shoes (or a variation of). Use black or a contrasting color.

Might be a little stiffer, but Sugru is still somewhat pliable after curing, depending on thickness.

A place like Michaels may have some mesh material that looks close in texture. A small patch can then be made from the inside, using just a thin layer of Gorilla glue, or a contact cement. Not too much though, as it would seep through and show.

Dryer sheets clearly will not do it.

A patch made of black shade cloth mesh on the inside ?

My grandmother said you may be able to darn the mesh using a navy thread. She said that they use to repair socks by darning the hole. She said it was very common in her day. Probably a video on YouTube. She also said there are cloth press-on (not iron-on) patches. After you darn the shoe, cover the patched area on the inside with one of the press-on patches cut to a little larger than the hole and where your toe rubs the mesh. She's pretty frugal but if the shoes were that comfortable she said she'd buy a couple pairs in different colors. BUT she'd still try to repair the original ones. There's nothing like a great pair of shoes.

Back
Top Bottom