Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Hi All- has anybody been down this path? I’m thinking of replacing the old shingles with a metal roof. From research I gather its way more expensive but possibly worth into the long run. Anybody do this? Do you like the outcome or something to stay away from?

Regards

Tetto
what?! speak up! i can't hear you because of the rain on the roof!
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been watching this house getting built. Here is the episode where they started putting on the metal roof. It is notable for how the supplier made the metal panels onsite from a big coil of metal, so they could be as long as needed. Much like gutters are made. A nice roof with no exposed fasteners to worry about leaking.

triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:33 PM   #23

I've installed 5 roofs like that one above. We had an *in* with the manufacturer, the neighbor was a millwright there. I won't discuss the money for us, but my brother's was about 1.30 a foot as mentioned before.
It's not just about the money for us, we do love opening the windows and listening to the rain when we want. That is the only way it is louder, if you open a window. They are extremely fire resistant. They also add strength to a roof. You'd be amazed at the difference. Walking around on the sheeting you can feel it flex normally, then you lock down that roof and walk across and it is quite a bit stiffer. So it is much lighter than composition, and adds strength as well.
We live under big trees and medium sized branches do no harm at all.
The paint is guaranteed for 50 years. If you are concerned after it fades you can get it painted again.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:43 PM   #24

Metal roof at the cottage. Like the one above except old style with exposed fasteners. 20 years old now and still looks wonderful despite frequently exposed to lashing storms and gale force winds off Lake Huron. Absolutely love it.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The metal roof's a little more expensive, but that's relative. You won't be replacing it 12-15 years later.

One thing is the styling of the house. Many metal roofs just don't fit in with the style of the home. It's like wearing brown shoes when you're wearing a tuxedo.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:03 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The metal roof's a little more expensive, but that's relative. You won't be replacing it 12-15 years later.
This is very situational, but we're at 28 years on our asphalt shingle roof and it looks like it's got a couple of years left. And I only sprung for the 25 year shingles, not the thicker 30 year ones.

Once I re-roof, I'm not sure I'M gonna last another 30 years.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Metal roof on house
Old 04-06-2021, 05:04 AM   #27

Metal roof on house

We have a metal roof. We paid 3x the shingle roof. It is hidden fastener, 26 GA, copper cote color. Rain is no problem. Cell phone signal was a problem with T-mobile. Verizon works fine.

PS: We are in the hail country where average roof life is 7 years so it makes sense for us. This is our forever home and I am young so that helps.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:52 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBigfoot View Post
How long are you planning on keeping the house? If short term, not worth the extra expense unless you recover cost in resale value. Also depends on the area of the country. Metal roofs are good for high wind, high fire risk areas.
That’s a great question; I’m in Eastern Connecticut which is a very nice place to live. I’ve always though we would move out of CT when we retire, but looking across the fruited plain, I don’t see anywhere else to go that’s better, other than simply for less taxes. We have very high taxes in CT! We will stay here for at least another ten years. I’m thinking it would be an investment and possibly pay off in the long run.
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

One thing is the styling of the house. Many metal roofs just don't fit in with the style of the home. It's like wearing brown shoes when you're wearing a tuxedo.

When i reroofed 6 years ago the quote for standing seam metal roofing was 3x what it cost me for 30 year architectural shingles. Not "a little more expensive"plus as you say it does not look as good as the shingles I put on.
I did however use the standing seam just on the front farmers porch and it is a nice contrast and sheds snow easily for a 4 pitch roof.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I cringe at the thought of replacing my asphalt shingles. I do have sometime left but the cost is unreal. I would tackle the job myself but not sure what my condition will be 5 to 10 years down the road.

I did install a metal roof on the cabin, maybe 10 years ago now. I really like it and see no issues but the look fit with that kind of structure. I really like those metal shingles that are available these days. I will strongly look into installing something other then an asphalt shingle the next time.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #31

We have a standing seam metal roof that is now 19 years old. Looks like it is brand new and fits with the age of the building.
Rain doesn't make much noise, the only downside we see is when the snow starts to thaw and you can get a lot of snow/ice sliding off at once. We finally put on snow guards this year and will see how that works for us.

I would recommend it, but it does seem pricey.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I cringe at the thought of replacing my asphalt shingles. I do have sometime left but the cost is unreal. I would tackle the job myself but not sure what my condition will be 5 to 10 years down the road.
If you're capable of replacing your shingles yourself now, why not do it now? The downside is that you're "wasting" 5 or so years of remaining roof life. The upside is that you'll potentially save several thousands in labour cost.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Music Lover >>> That is great insight and I have been thinking the same thing. I might just do that very thing, come next spring. I need to dig deep and find the product, I want to install.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #34

Metal roofs are actually better for solar if you have the right installer...mounts can be clamped or glued to the roof...there's no need for penetrations like with a standard, asphalt-shingled roof.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Thanks for that link; I searched and could not find anything!

I wound up putting on the metal roof. It was 6 years ago, but the cost was $5800 (house is a bit less than 1600 sq. ft) I got some kind of small energy tax credit of a few hundred bucks too.
I had it installed right over the top of existing shingle roof. Dont really hear rain at all, maybe because I still have shingles underneath it.
Definitely saved on utility costs as heat reflects off of it now in summer. Looks fine, no fading yet. My one mistake was not putting snow guards on the edge. It doesnt snow a lot here but when it does, and it starts to melt, it falls off at once. And when it hits the deck, BOOM!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Can you walk on a metal roof safely? I've had to have people go up there to put in an attic vent fan, put new boots on sewage vents, and paint and seal the chimney. I'm probably done going up there myself, but in the past I went to trim away a branch overhanging and scraping the roof.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Can you walk on a metal roof safely? I've had to have people go up there to put in an attic vent fan, put new boots on sewage vents, and paint and seal the chimney. I'm probably done going up there myself, but in the past I went to trim away a branch overhanging and scraping the roof.
I've found that dry metal roofs to be fine with the right footwear, but I'll avoid going up if the roof is wet.

As always, if you're unsure play it safe.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
It was a steel roof a pair of shoes like in the thumbnail could help. I wonder if anyone makes a pair of magnetic plates that could be strapped to normal footwear.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I've found that dry metal roofs to be fine with the right footwear, but I'll avoid going up if the roof is wet.

As always, if you're unsure play it safe.

I fell off my roof in the dead of winter. Snow in my boot treads melted and all of a sudden I was sliding off the roof and hit the hard ground.
Fortunately I landed on my feet and only crushed an ankle and not my neck or head. Let’s just say that my running days are over.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgineER View Post
I fell off my roof in the dead of winter. Snow in my boot treads melted and all of a sudden I was sliding off the roof and hit the hard ground.
Fortunately I landed on my feet and only crushed an ankle and not my neck or head. Let’s just say that my running days are over.
Thankfully you weren't hurt worse. I doubt that I'd ever go on a metal roof in winter. I'm comfortable on shingles but they have traction even when wet.