Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2021, 10:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My brother's roof is 6/12 pitch, and we worked up off scaffolding and put on cleats that we removed as we put the metal on. After the metal was on we used ropes over the peak to the other side for skylights and the roof peak metal.
Here is a picture that shows a bunch of detail:
Valleys
Snow bars
solar mounted to the standing seam with clamps, no roof penetration needed.

On the right is the original 1920 craftsman.
The middle section was an addition to tie it to the new garage on the left. Brother copied the gable end details and siding from the house to the garage.
I dug in the geothermal heat loops, and it also has solar hot water.

NgineER, glad you were not hurt worse that really sucks. We had scaffold across the whole addition, and I was working up the valley you can't see. I lost my cordless drill, it skipped on down the valley and one hopped off the guardrail and through that bay window, coming to rest on the dining table!
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 04:47 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

We've got a metal roof on our cabin (which also happens to be our home). Looks great. It does make extra noises that you don't get with shingles, if that's a problem for you. First, the roof will occasionally "pop" or "bang" as it heats and cools with the movement of the sun. Second, ours is VERY LOUD when it rains. That's because the metal is secured to furring/strapping with a gap to allow for insulation. So it's like an echo chamber. Our ceilings are also vaulted and we don't have attic space between the ceiling and the roof. All that adds up to loud, loud rain. BUT we love being in our house during a rain shower--to us it's a very pleasant white noise that adds to the feel of living in a cabin.
Errollyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't noticed it being very load when raining at the cabin. But the tin is directly laying flat on sheathing there. I can see that if it is raised off and has that gap it would be like a drum.

I don't believe that would bother me much anyway. It doesn't rain in my country very often and haven't seen a drop since last July.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #44

We just bought the roof metal and trim for our house. 1000SF house, 720SF garage for $2300. Will be the last roof for us...
old medic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone know whether the current high prices of lumber have made metal roofs relatively more competitive? We'll face that decision sometime this summer.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Does anyone know whether the current high prices of lumber have made metal roofs relatively more competitive? We'll face that decision sometime this summer.
Other than possibly cedar shake shingles, which aren't even allowed in my community anymore due to fire risk, how would high lumber prices affect roofing materials? Even in a new home you'd still build the frame the same way regardless of roof surface, wouldn't you? Am I missing something?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
For a shed, where you can skip putting on roof sheathing and have the metal roof fastened to strips across the trusses, it would save a bunch on the roof sheathing. There it make metal very competitive to shingles.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Other than possibly cedar shake shingles, which aren't even allowed in my community anymore due to fire risk, how would high lumber prices affect roofing materials? Even in a new home you'd still build the frame the same way regardless of roof surface, wouldn't you? Am I missing something?
I dunno. That's why I asked the question. Strand board or plywood sheathing is lumber -- maybe not required for a metal roof? Asphalt shingle prices are also said to be stratospheric.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Asphalt shingle prices are also said to be stratospheric.
It must be local. My friend just bought shingles for his cabin...about $29 a bundle (CDN) which is the same as last year.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
It must be local. My friend just bought shingles for his cabin...about $29 a bundle (CDN) which is the same as last year.
I'm not hampered by a lot of data, just stuff like this: https://www.roofcalc.org/why-roofing...keep-going-up/

But you might know the answer to another question I have had: Are lumber prices very high in Canada too? I've wondered whether the US prices are partially due to border slowdowns/blockages and the fighting there has been over Canada supposedly dumping softwood lumber to the US.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not hampered by a lot of data, just stuff like this: https://www.roofcalc.org/why-roofing...keep-going-up/

But you might know the answer to another question I have had: Are lumber prices very high in Canada too? I've wondered whether the US prices are partially due to border slowdowns/blockages and the fighting there has been over Canada supposedly dumping softwood lumber to the US.
Lumber prices are ridiculously high in Canada. A 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood is $84 last time I looked. An 8' PT 2" x 4" is now $13.45, was about $8 last year. A regular 12' 2" x 8" is $27.

Timberline architectural shingles are $28.27 a bundle, the same as last year. 3 bundles cover 100 sq ft, so a 1500 ft roof needs 45 bundles which is about $1500 after tax. $100 a sq ft.

The link you posted includes labour...I don't see any reason why it should go up a lot, roof replacements are a regular and predictable event and should be unaffected by lumber shortages. But I'm not a roofer, just a DIYer with no inside knowledge.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... The link you posted includes labour...I don't see any reason why it should go up a lot, roof replacements are a regular and predictable event and should be unaffected by lumber shortages. But I'm not a roofer, just a DIYer with no inside knowledge.
In our part of the country the skilled trades are making out like bandits because demand is very high and they can pick and choose their customers. I'm sure the roofing companies are doing the same thing given the opportunity.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love my metal roof, because I have fond memories of helping my dad replace the shingle roof on the house I grew up in. We had our house built with the metal roof. No noise issues.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you looking at a standing seam or a metal shingle type roof? There seem to be significant cost differences between the various types as well as types of metal like steel or aluminum.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #55

I've had a standing seam metal roof - sound was not an issue - it was two stories.

When a hail storm (northern Virginia) dented the roof - think three men with balpeen hammers working it over for a day - we replaced with a synthetic (plastic) shingle roof that resembled slate - looks GREAT ... and, is impervious to hail.

Cost is about 1.5 - 2.0 X times asphalt shingles - must be nailed on with specific stainless steel nails.

Americans have odd ideas about roofing.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lumber prices are ridiculously high in Canada. A 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood is $84 last time I looked. An 8' PT 2" x 4" is now $13.45, was about $8 last year. A regular 12' 2" x 8" is $27.

Timberline architectural shingles are $28.27 a bundle, the same as last year. 3 bundles cover 100 sq ft, so a 1500 ft roof needs 45 bundles which is about $1500 after tax. $100 a sq ft.

The link you posted includes labour...I don't see any reason why it should go up a lot, roof replacements are a regular and predictable event and should be unaffected by lumber shortages. But I'm not a roofer, just a DIYer with no inside knowledge.
In the southeast, roofing material prices are often supply and demand--after hurricanes or tornadoes.

Places like Florida have anti-gouging laws which don't give roofing manufacturers any reason to ramp up production. I've seen Pensacola's roofs have blue tarps on them 18 months after a hurricane due to a lack of roofing supplies. And labor rates are not allowed to go up because of a natural disaster.

My house is 12 years old and another roof is in the future. I'm expecting a $15K estimate for fiberglass shingles, tearoff and installation. I cannot imagine metal roofs costing 3x that of dimensional shingles.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Americans have odd ideas about roofing.
I'm curious why you say that.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #58

Indeed. I would think the dents would add character
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #59

Call me a skeptic. Plastic material on the roof baking in the hot sun for 30+ years.

What could go wrong?
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #60

OK - you’re a skeptic. 😀

Do the research, as I did.

Americans think of roofing as a normal replacement item - every 15 years. Materials are available with 100-200 year cycles.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote