Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
You wonder why I'm skeptical, and you're claiming there's a material that can last up to 200 years? That's why I asked for a source to see what company was claiming that.

I am confused, you say I could research it for myself in 2 minutes, but then you claim you've done a lot of research. So how can I find out as much as you did in only 2 minutes?

Whatever, I've lost interest. I'll stick with my 30 year asphalt shingles, and put the difference in a 50/50 stock/bond portfolio for 30 years. After 30 years, using the rule of 72, this money should double twice over. This is why I don't understand when some people say it's an investment to spend 2-3X more on a better roof. I DO understand if they like the look more of a metal/clay/slate roof or if they live in a hail prone area.

I'll close with this article I DID find with a quick google search using "slate composite roof problems" -

https://www.remodeling.hw.net/produc...ion-slate-woes

From the article -
"During the last decade, hundreds of composite roofing materials that mimic natural slate have been introduced to the market. Most of these have been fiber-reinforced cement, fiber-reinforced recycled plastics, or recycled rubber molded to look like slate, wood shakes, or clay tile. But although the materials in different products sometimes share similarities, they may vary widely in performance."

"Trouble for the composite roofing industry began in the late 1990s when early fiber-cement entries began delaminating and crumbling. As a result of several class action lawsuits, all of which were settled in recent years, manufacturers have either discontinued or re-engineered their fiber-cement roofing product lines."

The problem with any of these new, non-traditional products is that they haven't stood the test of time in harsh conditions. Some will no doubt have problems, and some companies with their "lifetime" warranties will be long gone. I'm not an early adopter. I'd rather stick with something that's been out on the market for decades, is widely available and which most roofers have experience with, doesn't require specialized training, and has stood the test of time.

Ah ... you just changed the criteria for the discussion ...

Again, do the research - easy stuff - evaluate the material.

OTOH - if you need long term proof, ya need to wait long term 😀

I find the changes in building construction materials and tech to be interesting - roofing is just part, but it us one if the areas in which we Americans differ from Europe.

Asphalt shingles rated at 30 years last about 15 in my area - plastic is warranted for 2-3 X that, and apparently last far longer.

Do the research. Or, not. 😀
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

@stephenson it is a bit harsh to simply respond do the research and find out about these 100-200 year roofs that Americans are ignorant about. At least a keyword about the roof material or brand would have been a big help, so that others could better understand what you are hinting at. I think most people are aware there are more durable materials such as tile or slate roofs but those have their own challenges and if the house was not originally built for it, will need additional work to support the increased weight. Then there are copper panels which will last many centuries but would be excessively expensive. Perhaps some company makes aluminum ones as well.

But a bigger issue is local building codes and local companies. Most roofing companies have certain expertise and will only offer certain materials and types of installs. After all they are also warranting their work, so they work with materials they know about and are confident in. Most customers have modest houses and moderate incomes and cannot afford put on lifetime roofs...especially those homeowners in large neighborhoods of "spec houses" that are poorly insulated and not well built stick frame homes, where it may not make economic sense to invest in a new 100+ year roof for a 25 year old home that already has tired bones. Many neighborhood associations also frown on homeowners radically changing their homes appearance, so that may be a limiting factoring for many.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #83

There is a house in my extended neighborhood that was re-roofed using aluminum panels that look like a block of cedar shakes. Can't tell where the seams are, it fits in with the shake pattern. Dark colored. Lot of Oak trees. Hear every acorn hit, at least on the outside at the street. Actually, can hear them hit when when walking by, even if a few houses down the street. The owner gets a small break in insurance premium for having a "hail resistant roof". However, the fine print is that the owner accepts "cosmetic damage that may result from hail".
Old 04-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
@stephenson it is a bit harsh to simply respond do the research and find out about these 100-200 year roofs that Americans are ignorant about. At least a keyword about the roof material or brand would have been a big help, so that others could better understand what you are hinting at. I think most people are aware there are more durable materials such as tile or slate roofs but those have their own challenges and if the house was not originally built for it, will need additional work to support the increased weight. Then there are copper panels which will last many centuries but would be excessively expensive. Perhaps some company makes aluminum ones as well.

But a bigger issue is local building codes and local companies. Most roofing companies have certain expertise and will only offer certain materials and types of installs. After all they are also warranting their work, so they work with materials they know about and are confident in. Most customers have modest houses and moderate incomes and cannot afford put on lifetime roofs...especially those homeowners in large neighborhoods of "spec houses" that are poorly insulated and not well built stick frame homes, where it may not make economic sense to invest in a new 100+ year roof for a 25 year old home that already has tired bones. Many neighborhood associations also frown on homeowners radically changing their homes appearance, so that may be a limiting factoring for many.
Are there really that many 25-yar old homes with tired bones? Even homes built to the absolute minimum code are perfectly find decades later as long as water infiltration and other damage is mitigated.

Slate can be expensive and not cost effective, but metal roofs have a proven track record and can last 50 - 100 years. I just shingled my house but I'm 59 and have shingled at least 40 houses before so I'm very comfortable doing the job...and I either won't be around or will be too old to care when it needs replacing. But, if I was in my 20's and building a house I'd go with a metal roof with the confidence that it would probably last as long as I do. And I'd use 24 gauge rather than thinner 26 gauge.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:53 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
There are a lot of metal roofs in my area. About 7 years ago I spent a couple of days on the Kid's camp kitchen roof. It had an inexpensive metal roof. Over the years, the snow had sheared off all of the vent pipes. What got us up there was a water heater flue had been bashed in from the snow sliding down into it and the melting snow was pouring inside. We replaced the flue and vent pipes. We also added snow cleats which were a couple inches high and about 4 inches long made out of clear 1/4 inch plastic. They were designed to keep the snow slowed down when it started sliding. There is one set of stairs over there at the camp that cannot be used during the winter for fear of being hit full force by snow sliding off the roof. While up on the roof, I noticed that a lot of the screws holding the metal on were loose. They have little o-rings to keep them water tight. I spent quite a few hours tightening those little screws. Since then I have noticed several of the cleats have been sheared off...
That's the kind of metal roof you want to avoid...with exposed fasteners all that keep it watertight are those o-rings.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Are there really that many 25-yar old homes with tired bones? Even homes built to the absolute minimum code are perfectly find decades later as long as water infiltration and other damage is mitigated.

Slate can be expensive and not cost effective, but metal roofs have a proven track record and can last 50 - 100 years. I just shingled my house but I'm 59 and have shingled at least 40 houses before so I'm very comfortable doing the job...and I either won't be around or will be too old to care when it needs replacing. But, if I was in my 20's and building a house I'd go with a metal roof with the confidence that it would probably last as long as I do. And I'd use 24 gauge rather than thinner 26 gauge.
"tired bones" may be a poor choice of words but I am referring to some of the tract house developments where the developer has built to minimum standards, more for profit than longevity. Now 25 years later as the house starts to need a new roof, new carpets/flooring, new HVAC, a bathroom remodel, some of the old style hardiplank siding replaced, etc. Not all of these things at the same time, but a situation where one realizes the home was not so well built and was not well insulated.

I am starting to see some new homes go up in neighborhoods built back in ~1960's (I not exactly sure their age) in my area, in places that are in good locations. Replacing houses that were smaller and likely not well built. I very much like building structures that will last more than a lifetime with some basic maintenance. I would like home stay (AirBnb) in some of the modern metal roof houses to see how they are up close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
That's the kind of metal roof you want to avoid...with exposed fasteners all that keep it watertight are those o-rings.
While o-rings help a lot, any exposed fasteners can work themselves loose over time as the metal expands and contracts, and become a maintenance item.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Tetto,

I am usually VERY helpful and will expend lots of effort on forums - I belong to several.

However, I have noticed an increase in the number of folks who are negative, unknowledgeable - and, unwilling to do anything other than say what they believe. These folks I no longer do the work for ... not trying to be an awful person, but once presented with the negativity and the pushback on why I don't PROVE something, I just let them know the information is out there.
This forum has been incredibly beneficial to me over the years.
Unfortunately, there's always going to be an !@#$!@# or 2 in every group of people.
I feel your pain.

Thank God for the ignore feature
Old 04-10-2021, 11:49 PM   #88

Second layer of shingles to remove only added about 10% to our last roofing job.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:06 AM   #89

Shingles didn't seem to last very long on our modest Florida home. We are about 150 yds from the ocean and the combination of harsh sun, salt water, nor'easters and hurricanes are rough on shingles. After going through 2 roofing jobs with 30+ year shingles that lasted 12 years each I finally bit the bullet and got a standing seam metal roof. Each panel is screwed down and locked into the next panel so all screws are covered. There are heavy duty drip edges around the periphery that the panels are crimped around so there are no places for wind to get underneath. So far we have been through a couple of hurricanes and a few nor'easters with no damage and no leaks. I would have saved a lot of money if I had done this earlier. A bonus has been a reduction in heating/cooling costs, the comfortable feeling of not having to worry about leaks, and knowing I will never have to be concerned about roof replacement ever again.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
"tired bones" may be a poor choice of words but I am referring to some of the tract house developments where the developer has built to minimum standards, more for profit than longevity. Now 25 years later as the house starts to need a new roof, new carpets/flooring, new HVAC, a bathroom remodel, some of the old style hardiplank siding replaced, etc. Not all of these things at the same time, but a situation where one realizes the home was not so well built and was not well insulated.
All those items you mention have a known lifespan, whether the house is built to minimum standards or if it's a high end home. 25 year old shingles will be at the end of their lifespan on a $150k house as well as $2 million house. It's the same for a 25 year old HVAC system. Hardwood flooring lasts a long time regardless of the house, but 25-year old carpet is still 25-year old carpet.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:43 AM   #91

From my experience building things, methods matter more than materials. If you blast something together with nail guns and narrow crown staples, do the minimum nailing schedule and use no glues, floors will creak almost from the get-go. Just mixing the sheeting joints and using liquid nails does wonders. Little things like extra blocking on joists, just blocking in general add to the sturdiness of any structure.
Blocking = labor . You almost always have enough short stuff to do extensive blocking.
A thoughtful electrician or plumber won't riddle your structure needlessly to save labor too. Meeting codes is the bare minimum, not the standard I am speaking about.
When you buy a newer home, it may have sat for a week or two in the rain before getting dryed in, with the OSB getting soaked in the process. That is not a fault of the OSB.
Spec-ing plywood subfloor is no guaruntee either. See the methods above, you can totally muck up a T&G plywood subfloor install doing it wrong, and the sqeaks and creaks begin in just a few years.
Don't blame the modern materials for bad end results. Installed correctly they are often superior.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote