Join Early Retirement Today

Metal roof on house
Old 04-05-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Metal roof on house

Hi All- has anybody been down this path? I’m thinking of replacing the old shingles with a metal roof. From research I gather its way more expensive but possibly worth into the long run. Anybody do this? Do you like the outcome or something to stay away from?

Regards

Tetto
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #2

This thread is old, but it might give you a little information:

Has anyone on this forum put a metal roof on their house?
Old 04-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Hi All- has anybody been down this path? I’m thinking of replacing the old shingles with a metal roof. From research I gather its way more expensive but possibly worth into the long run.
I considered it the last time a hail storm got our roof but the cost was almost three times the cost of asphalt shingles. I couldn't see spending that kind of money ($50,000+ in my case). With my luck we'd have another major hail storm that would ding the heck out of the metal roof and I'd be forced to live with it as cosmetic damage isn't covered by insurance.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I considered it the last time a hail storm got our roof but the cost was almost three times the cost of asphalt shingles. I couldn't see spending that kind of $. With my luck we'd have another major hail storm that would ding the heck out of the metal roof and I'd be forced to live with it as cosmetic damage isn't covered by insurance.
Just curiosity, but would your homeowners insurance premiums change with the metal roof?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've helped 2 people install metal roofs. It goes up quick and easy. It can get tricky if you have a lot of angles and valleys. Both roofs I was involved in were simple 4/12 pitch with no angles or valleys. We ordered them to length and they pre-cut them to size.

It doesn't have to be that much more expensive but I guess it's location specific. My brother paid about $1.30 a sq ft for the metal plus a little more for the ridge pieces, edge trim, and fasteners. We also put water barrier on the entire roof. Maybe $2000 for a 1100 sq ft house all in. Labour free of course.

I'd go with a heavier gauge and hidden fasteners.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't the hard downpours sound much louder?
Old 04-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just curiosity, but would your homeowners insurance premiums change with the metal roof?
I understand they would decrease about 20%, saving me roughly $300/yr. Rough calculation, the metal roof would pay for itself if I can hang on for another 100 years.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't the hard downpours sound much louder?
If the metal is touching the sheathing noise is suppressed. But if it's on strapping that provides an air gap the metal can make noise when hit. It's similar to hitting an air duct....it can be quite loud. But hit a piece of duct that's flat against a solid surface and the noise is minimized.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I considered it the last time a hail storm got our roof but the cost was almost three times the cost of asphalt shingles. I couldn't see spending that kind of money ($50,000+ in my case). With my luck we'd have another major hail storm that would ding the heck out of the metal roof and I'd be forced to live with it as cosmetic damage isn't covered by insurance.
Why so much in your area? Metal isn't that expensive and the labour is often less to install.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This thread is old, but it might give you a little information:

Has anyone on this forum put a metal roof on their house?
Thanks for that link; I searched and could not find anything!
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Why so much in your area? Metal isn't that expensive and the labour is often less to install.
No idea, but the rule of thumb here is metal is at least 2.5x the cost of asphalt shingles. That's also what I found when I asked for quotes when I replaced our roof in 2019.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #12

Gave it some thought, but I won’t be around long enough to make it worth it. For sure I won’t be around long enough to break even, but I don’t see being in this house long enough to say it was worth it from an enjoyment perspective. I think I have less than five years left on my current roof and probably 15 for me to be in this house. I’ll check pricing when the time comes and maybe blow that dough if the portfolio is doing well, but it seems unlikely.

Plus, I’m going to have additional cost because the current roof is a second layer, something I’d never do, so I think the cost to take that off and correct any issues will quite a bit to the job.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I’d much rather have a metal roof, but I’ll have to do the economics when our current roof starts to fail - should be at least 10-15 years off...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My current house has a metal roof. The previous owners put it on. I really can’t tell any real difference in sounds when there is heavy rain from what I’ve heard in my previous shingled roofs.

In my area of rural northwest PA, I would say that probably 80% of the roofing projects I see being worked on are putting on a metal roof. Perhaps more. It’s very popular here. It’s already started this spring. I’ve noticed several underway in the area as I have been out and about. I don’t think shingled roof projects have started yet, as I think they want warmer weather. But when they start, there will be far less of them compared to metal projects.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Hi All- has anybody been down this path? I’m thinking of replacing the old shingles with a metal roof. From research I gather its way more expensive but possibly worth into the long run. Anybody do this? Do you like the outcome or something to stay away from?

Regards

Tetto

How long are you planning on keeping the house? If short term, not worth the extra expense unless you recover cost in resale value. Also depends on the area of the country. Metal roofs are good for high wind, high fire risk areas.
TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a shingle roof, but because we are in a wildfire area we put a metal roof on after our house was 20 YO.

The old roof was in pretty good shape so we just put the metal right over top.

I think the extra insulation is great, and Ms G likes the sound of rain on her new roof.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We have shingles where there's about 60% metal roofs. If you convert make sure you understand where snow is going to "shed". It's not an option for us because of that, we'd lose any view out our living room.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if the Tesla solar roofs will ever become popular? If the numbers work, that seems like the way to go.

We have metal roofs on our cabin and studio in the mountains. They are really quick & simple to install. The metal panels are 3' wide and up to 40' long, so each panel covers a large area. I don't know why roofing installers charge so much more for a metal roof.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have had a metal on our house for 30 years and counting. Expect it to last our lifetime. Love the sound of the rain on the roof!
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a metal roof. It came with the house. I think they roof is called Decra Tiles. It doesn’t look like a metal roof. Ours was also laid over the old shake roof, so it provides additional insulation in the summer (we’re not in a cold winter area).

The biggest downside for us is that it blocks a decent cell phone signal inside. It’s as if we were in a giant Faraday cage. Wifi assist is the only way we can get cell calls. If your phone is old and doesn’t support wifi assist, be warned.

We also have not pursued solar because we were told that it can’t be installed on this type of roof. But honestly, that was a long time ago. Things may have changed.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote