Methods to Persuade Geese to Leave?

Plus, he’s having fun going out and chasing the geese away. I imagine that DW is getting a kick out of that too.

At the company where DW used to work, the building had extensive lawns around it and the geese loved to hang out there. They hired a company that had a license (I think it was from the state) to eliminate them.

Their method was to find the eggs, shake the hell out of them, and replace them where they had been laid. It seemed to work.

Oddly, we have been geese free for two days, other than maybe 10 that stayed at the other end of the pond. It rained yesterday and was cloudy today (it was sunny and hot for most of the last 3 weeks they were here). Don't know if the weather has anything to do with it.

If they return, I will follow some of the ER group's suggestions, but right now I am enjoying the peace and quiet.:dance:

Geese like a clear path to water as it gives them a feeling of safety. A short fence in front of the water might deter enough that they'll move to a different location.

Similarly, allowing vegetation to grow high right up to the waterline, at least for a while, is a way to deter them.

Do not let them nest anywhere near your property. Smash all nests/eggs you find. Actually it's recommended legally in almost all states, vs out rate killing them. The federal government (regulates waterfowl hunting) has to lift any season limits on geese. They are just a blight.

If you let them nest, the young will be back to nest year. Smash the nests and eggs. It's actually what is condoned.

Last edited:
how about a 12 guage, a BBQ pit and a box of invites for a goose bbq... BOYB of course... I can bring the charcoal...

have you ever tried beer can goose on a grill :confused:? that'l cook your goose :)

Here by the lake a homeowner has a loud speaker that makes the sound of some kind of hawk/ predator to geese. He runs it all summer. I’m thinking he must have had to get permission from the town and his neighbors.

In case anyone cares, the common name of this species of bird is “Canada Geese”.

“Canadian Geese” would be any type of geese that reside within the Dominion of Canada and pledge allegiance to the Queen, but they are not a species. Not all Canada Geese are Canadian, most are multinational. 😊

I always did like a goose down pillow.... can you sew a pillow case...

When I was at the Harley Davidson plant for a tour several years ago they had stuffed coyotes that they put out by their pond every day and took up at night. I didn’t see any geese there and they mentioned it as part of the tour.

Canadian Geese are Evil. Sure they may look pretty but their poop is slippery and nasty.

For some reason they are protected though so anything I say about harrassing or harming is from hearsay not personal knowledge.

Deterents must be varied and constantly changing.
* Bottle Rockets
* R/C cars and or boats
* Shotgun blasts
* Dogs
* Decoys of predators

None of these methods seem to bother the ducks that we encourage. Or so I have heard.

hypothetical - to cover any illegalities

go to Amazon and search "green laser pointer high power". Geese do not like it. Ducks don't like it either. Raccoons ignore it. Bass fishermen don't like it. Herons and egrets don't like it. Range not an issue.

and, it's kinda fun!

lurker drawn out

A golf course that I frequent that has Canada geese nearby has fake coyotes in certain areas. The greens staff moves them occasionally when the move the pins.

We had issues with gease as well, I heard about getting a green lazer light...... So I bought one off Amazon and sure enough the gease run from the light...... The ducks try to eat the light ...... The gease no longer come around

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe it was mentioned but at my former employer we had an outfit come out and they sprayed something on the grass that they didn't like to eat and they disappeared. I don't remember what it was but it was something pretty simply, not a poison or anything like that. I could find out probably if you want.

Something like this works well for ducks in Seattle. There are more ducks than geese on our lake. <https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Enforcer-Activated-Deterrent-Sprinkler/dp/B01D4GCGJY/ref=sr_1_8?crid=20OIY5AYY5TJ1&dchild=1&keywords=motion+sprinkler+animal+deterrent&qid=1633742771&sprefix=motion+sp%2Caps%2C240&sr=8-8>

Geese Deterrents

Living next to a pond in Pa. I can relate. We are in an HOA community.
Geese were not only a nuisance but a source of contamination as well.
They would congregate on the front lawn and even on the driveway making it impossible to avoid tracking green goose poop into the garage.

Following numerous failed deterrents we are finally rid of them, fingers crossed.
What worked? The grass and wildflowers around the pond were allowed to grow high eventually forming a 4-foot wide circular barrier. Geese no longer frequent the pond because they're deprived of a line of sight that allows them to detect predators.

At the same time the HOA hired a "goose patrol" service that visits several times weekly and releases a border Collie if they spot any geese. I don't know the cost of the goose patrol, the HOA covers the cost because many other homes are affected by the geese.
I don't know whether one of the above solution accounts for the success or if it is a combination of the two. Since you have to bear the expense simply not mowing around the pond is obviously the lower cost. Dogs like to chase geese so might consider the possibility of getting a pet. Geese will learn quickly to avoid your property

To perhaps save you the trouble here are approaches that were not successful:
Spray geese with high pressure hose, fake alligator in the pond, loud sound effect of barking dog, scare geese with a drone, firecrackers to irritate them, floating strobe light in the pond, chase them and scream like an unhinged mad man (works temporarily and entertains the neighbors).
A hose-end goose repellent spray from Liquid Fence is said to be effective, I haven't tried it but it would be relatively low cost approach that you might try first.
Geese in a V-formation in the autumn sky are beautiful sight, geese pooping on your property....not so much.

I have a large pond with similar problems. I don't want a dog. What I do is wait for them and then go charging out after them screaming like a banshee and swinging a long pool skimmer on its pole at them. That works well and only takes a few times. Once they get the message they move on.

My larger problem is martens who tear up the pond trying to get fish. I have found urinating around the pond as well as the perimeter of our property (at potential access points) has worked the best. They hate the smell of human urine. So, I generally only pee outside now as it is a constant problem. I understand hanging clumps of human hair also works but I don't have any so peeing works well enough. I did try an electronic pest system which basically did nothing. It is illegal to trap them or kill them here in Hungary otherwise I would put out traps. This is how I got rid of all our moles using buried traps. I do try and keep the nice snail-eating hedgehogs we also have running around. Herons are a different problem and the chase them away method is the only thing that works.

I've read that plastic or rubber snakes are very effective. Also robot lawn mowers are good to move birds on.

I didn't mention this in my earlier post but geese have been a potential nuisance for us for the last 25 years.

We have tried a few things: "string" fence - worked along our lot line but then geese would walk around it, lawn spray - as I remember it wasn't cheap, was time consuming to apply, and washed off with the first rain, dogs - we sometimes keep our "granddogs" but they don't seem to be interested in chasing geese and the geese are somewhat wary but largely not intimidated (they also would get goose poop on their paws - ugh), chasing them off the yard like a mad man - entertaining for the neighbors (as someone said) but geese would be right back as soon as I went inside. I haven't tried the artificial "predators" so I guess they'd be worth a try. I'm thinking that the geese would quickly realize they aren't a real threat, though.

The Bird Banger has been the most effective but I might try a green laser as that sounds like it could be fun.

Back
Top Bottom