Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Microwaving
Old 11-09-2006, 05:18 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
It's funny you mentioned this because DW has been on an anti-microwave kick lately. She quoted some studies that talk about how microwaving food changes the chemistry of the food and also increases cholesterol. All of the websites seem to quote the same things!

DW uses the oven to reheat leftovers now. :
Interesting. Doing my own cooking, I never ever use the oven at all,
just the microwave, the stovetop and a charcoal grill. Probably ingesting
tons of carcinogens. Wouldn't be surprised if this place had asbestos
insulation, radon in the foundation and mercury in the well water.
Arghhhhhhhhhhh.

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2006, 07:05 AM   #22

Nords, have you tried the Convection part of your Microwave yet?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I propose we do a safety test of microwave ovens. We'll install them in, say 150 million homes and let people use them for about 30 years and see if there are any health effects.

Next we can test electric blankets, nutrasweet, high power lines, cell phones, and computer monitors.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I propose we do a safety test of microwave ovens. We'll install them in, say 150 million homes and let people use them for about 30 years and see if there are any health effects.
Actually, you'd need to install a placebo broken microwave in 75 million homes (the "control group") that didn't heat anything at all. Then compare the health effects of this group with the health effects of the 75 million homes with microwaves that work. For science...
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #25

College son had a beatup 25 year old JCPenney Microwave last year...he and roommate would set it and run to the dorm hall and wait til finished....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Actually, you'd need to install a placebo broken microwave in 75 million homes (the "control group") that didn't heat anything at all. Then compare the health effects of this group with the health effects of the 75 million homes with microwaves that work. For science...
And then what? We discover the folks with the placebo microwaves have a high incidence on broken/cracked teeth from biting into still frozen food?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday
Now, some people are afraid of all artificial sweetners, and blame Splenda for their ailments. Especially headache, which is about the most common health problem there is. They would also blame any new backaches on Splenda, except it doesn't sound quite right to say that Splenda caused your backache. But "Splenda caused my headaches" sounds believable.
I expect that Splenda is pretty safe, and is much safer to eat than corn syrup, sugar, or stevia.
My spouse almost never shows any interest in the stock market, but one Splenda commercial inspired her to buy Tate & Lyle. That was two years ago, it's up 62% this year, and the price has risen from our $34 purchase to $61. I tell her she could buy a nice car with the profits but she's holding out for a high-end Lexus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream
Nords, have you tried the Convection part of your Microwave yet?
Oh yeah. We think it's a couple years old. We bought it for $125 from an apartment renter who didn't like it.

It's a quarter of the volume of our conventional electric oven, it heats evenly instead of with a hot spot near the thermistor probe, it uses less energy, and it cooks faster. With proper stacking technique you can even cook two 9" cake layers at once. We haven't used our conventional oven since we plugged in the convection microwave a couple months ago. I'm even thinking of buying a smaller Thanksgiving turkey.

The downside (what there is of it) is that it's noisier (the air-circulation fan) and the fan blows for a three-minute cooldown cycle after the oven is finished.

If Magic Chef had made it one inch shallower I would have been able to rip the door off our oven and put the convection oven inside it. Unfortunately it won't mount under our cabinets but we're going to figure out some sort of rack to lift it off the counter.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Oh yeah. We think it's a couple years old. We bought it for $125 from an apartment renter who didn't like it.

It's a quarter of the volume of our conventional electric oven, it heats evenly instead of with a hot spot near the thermistor probe, it uses less energy, and it cooks faster. With proper stacking technique you can even cook two 9" cake layers at once. We haven't used our conventional oven since we plugged in the convection microwave a couple months ago. I'm even thinking of buying a smaller Thanksgiving turkey.
The downside (what there is of it) is that it's noisier (the air-circulation fan) and the fan blows for a three-minute cooldown cycle after the oven is finished.

If Magic Chef had made it one inch shallower I would have been able to rip the door off our oven and put the convection oven inside it. Unfortunately it won't mount under our cabinets but we're going to figure out some sort of rack to lift it off the counter.
If you do cook the turkey, let me know how it turns out.
I ended up getting an Amana Micro Convection Ovenbut have to install 208 V. before I can plug it in.
It's still in the box and my DW doesn't like the fact that it has no glass front door. Oh well, the price was right.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Next we can test electric blankets, nutrasweet, high power lines, cell phones, and computer monitors.
Cell phones will be the tobacco of 2050.

The great part about making such a prediction is that no one will remember when it fails to come true. 8)
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #30

Quote:
If you do cook the turkey, let me know how it turns out.
I cooked a turkey in a microwave once. Never Again.

Turkey actually came out pretty tasty, but what a massive pain to make sure it cooked evenly. Though maybe Nords' oven wouldn't have that problem, since it has no hot spot.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I cooked a turkey in a microwave once. Never Again.

Turkey actually came out pretty tasty, but what a massive pain to make sure it cooked evenly. Though maybe Nords' oven wouldn't have that problem, since it has no hot spot.
I'm don't cook myself, but I understand that if you do cook a Turkey in the Microwave, you're suppost to use the Convection part, if your microwave has that feature.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Dan,

I hope not. I would not survive without the MW and the George Foreman grill.

I need my mw and my barbeque for sure.

What I have determined from the observations of the forum is that everything can kill you if doled out in a large enough amount ..maybe even LOVE...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
My spouse almost never shows any interest in the stock market, but one Splenda commercial inspired her to buy Tate & Lyle. That was two years ago, it's up 62% this year, and the price has risen from our $34 purchase to $61.
After some research, I was really early buying too.

Unfortunately, my research was limited to the health dangers (and lack thereof) and my purchases were limited to real assets (the commodity) which has been consumed.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
everything can kill you if doled out in a large enough amount ..maybe even LOVE...
Once saw a documentary about that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Women_in_the_Mood
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
This is complete nonsense.

It's Clinton's fault.
Ya but he lied about it.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #36

Quote:
I'm don't cook myself, but I understand that if you do cook a Turkey in the Microwave, you're suppost to use the Convection part, if your microwave has that feature.
Mine doesn't, just a rotating turntable. Which doesn't work so well once the bird starts slumping and slip-sliding around on its juices... Had to keep re-trussing and re-centering the thing so it wouldn't get stuck, and it barely fit inside the microwave anyway. I had to babysit through the whole cooking process.

Japanese houses don't ordinarily have American-style ovens, just broilers and maybe rather small microwave ovens, but that experience inspired me to install a gas oven in the house we later built. Huge improvement in convenience, especially since one can use the pop-up thermometers, which can't be used in microwave cooking. (The birds come imported from the US at the local ethnic foods market.) Can make pizzas now, too.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

http://www.geo-pie.cornell.edu/crops/corn.html
Am I eating genetically engineered corn?
Yes. An estimated 40% of the US corn crop in 2003 was grown to genetically engineered corn hybrids (see map that follows). Because GE corn is not separated from conventional corn by mills and processors at harvest time, all corn-based food ingredients are very likely to have been made from a mixture of GE and non-GE corn varieties. Corn-based food ingredients include corn starch, flour, masa, corn syrup, corn oil, sweeteners, baking powder, alcohols,

Personallly I like to eat my genetically engineered corn cooked in a microwave
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
This is complete nonsense.

It's Clinton's fault.

Ya but he lied about it.

I did not have snacks with that microwave.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #39

Quote:

Ya but he lied about it.

I did not have snacks with that microwave.

It depends on what the meaning of the word "snacks" is.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote