Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Millennials Say They'd Give Up Their Cars Before Their Computers or Cell Phones
Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Millennials Say They'd Give Up Their Cars Before Their Computers or Cell Phones

Those crazy kids...

Interesting differences between generations. Us old folks (all generations actually) value PCs, but we haven't picked up on (smart) phones so far - no revelation.

Quote:
According to those results, which are based on a national online survey of 1,015 adults, cars are the most prized piece of technology (at least among those offered here) among every age group but the under-35s. Our other big takeaway from this report: No one cares about the lonely TV any more.
Millennials Say They'd Give Up Their Cars Before Their Computers or Cell Phones - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.7 KB, 19 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd barely fit into the low end (34 years old) but I've never owned a car in my life (i rent one if I need one, or take a cab), though I probably drive once a week or so for work. I'd certainly agree with the survey, though given another year or two, and you might be able to get a smartphone with a keyboard adapter that would work just fine for 80% or so of a computer replacement...
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

At this point in my life, I actually agree with the crazy kids.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup, in that group.

Phone, no, my computer fills 99.9% of the functions of phones. Giving up cars for it would be sort of like giving up a car because I need to read the newspaper.

Computers on the other hand, definitely. I'd give up more than just a car too. I'd probably give up a meal a day, electricity (except for the computer and router), indoor plumbing, and most of the other hallmarks of civilization before I would give up on computers (and the Internet).
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Given that choice, I'd use my car to drive to the library and use the computers there. I need the car for hurricane evacuations, duh?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Those crazy kids...

Interesting differences between generations. Us old folks (all generations actually) value PCs, but we haven't picked up on (smart) phones so far - no revelation.
Sounds about right. I've got to keep my cars. Computers are pretty high on my list of "things to keep" too. However, cell phones would be near the bottom of my list and smart phones (even though I had several when I worked) wouldn't even make my list.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I would miss you folks and a number of websites that I visit for good information but I wouldn't want to give up my car or motorcycles until I can't drive/ride anymore. I would want a cell phone in the car for emergencies so the computer would be the first to go. But as W2R said there is always the library.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post

Sounds about right. I've got to keep my cars. Computers are pretty high on my list of "things to keep" too. However, cell phones would be near the bottom of my list and smart phones (even though I had several when I worked) wouldn't even make my list.
For me, the two are interchangeable. I don't really understand when people say a computer is indispensable to them, but they don't "get" smart phones.

They are the same thing! My smart phone is a computer.

I'd rather give up my laptop than smartphone because I do all the same things on them (including reading e-r.org), but the smart phone is always with me, and gets way more use.

My total amount of talking on it per month? About 100 minutes. I'd get rid of the phone part, no problem. But it's the computer part of it I wouldn't want to get rid of.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #9

So do I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
At this point in my life, I actually agree with the crazy kids.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #10

This apparent disdain for automobiles is reflected in the decreasing percentage of young adults with driver's licenses over past 20-25yrs-

University of Michigan News Service | Fewer young, but more elderly, have driver's license

However- IMHO this may reflect self-centered demands of many next gen'ers to be chauffeured around (on another's gas $ ?) rather than driving themselves places
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
This apparent disdain for automobiles is reflected in the decreasing percentage of young adults with driver's licenses over past 20-25yrs-

University of Michigan News Service | Fewer young, but more elderly, have driver's license

However- IMHO this may reflect self-centered demands of many next gen'ers to be chauffeured around (on another's gas $ ?) rather than driving themselves places
I'm in my thirties, and a trend amongst my peers is to move closer to work and take advantage of bus/train transportation. Also, more of my friends are telecommuting. Everyone I know has a drivers license though. Those without cars do rent on occasion, or use services like Flexcar and Car2Go. I can't speak for the early twenties crowd.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Tough question...
As a geezer, even though we have alternate CCRC transport if we want it, not having a car is the emotional fear. Kind of a "nail in the coffin" loss of freedom. If y'all have parents that are nearing this point in life, you'll understand.
Hopefully we can squeeze out five or ten more years of driving, but when the time comes....

Computer next... very important... tied with TV.

Cell Phone?.... never use it. don't know how.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #13

Due to the fact that I don't have a smart phone - I never proceeded with company instructions to order one - I just missed a message regarding an important weekend meeting. And that's why I'll never get one as long as I'm employed!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
I'm in my thirties, and a trend amongst my peers is to move closer to work and take advantage of bus/train transportation. Also, more of my friends are telecommuting. Everyone I know has a drivers license though. Those without cars do rent on occasion, or use services like Flexcar and Car2Go. I can't speak for the early twenties crowd.

SIS
Good point. I've noticed that trend in housing in most major cities- with a few exceptions (like Detroit )
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I would happily give up my TV. If I lived in a large city with good public transport I would give up my car too. I agree that computers and smartphones are part of a spectrum of electronic devices and I want the ability to communicate through them, period.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
Administrator

I bet the folks that choose smartphone over car and can walk or use pulic transportation don't have any children.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #17

This assumption is correct in my case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I bet the folks that choose smartphone over car and can walk or use pulic transportation don't have any children.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #18

Quote:
True.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Due to the fact that I don't have a smart phone - I never proceeded with company instructions to order one - I just missed a message regarding an important weekend meeting. And that's why I'll never get one as long as I'm employed!
Smart move. I ended up going to meetings during my vacation and on the weekends due to my stupid smart phone.

I should tell them I'm married to an Amish and I can't have electronic items at home...no more meetings on vacation, meetings on the weekend, or working while on vacation!!!
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have 3 little ones, and it is a tough choice between computer and car for what to give up. I'm leaning toward keeping the computer. Of course they can have my smartphone first. Neat toy and frequently useful productivity tool, but no comparison to a computer in my opinion. And tv would obviously go first. Although I would need to upgrade the 20" dual monitors on my desktop rig to have one be at least 32" (for watching movies and tv shows in HD...).