Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

^ good for you! Congrats!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I finally got around to reading "The Millionaire Next Door" book.
I'm not sure what all the hype is about.
Maybe I read the book too late in the game. As I read through each story all I could think was "Duh", that's obvious....

This book just failed to capture my attention. I didn't find it interesting, so it took me a long time to read it. I'm glad I'm done with it, but it kind of burned me out and I'm not eager to start another book now.
Similar reaction for me; but then again, my parents were the type discussed in the book. It seemed to me that the authors were marveling at the fact that millionaires weren't conspicuous consumers!

Upon a second reading, I didn't get that sense as strongly; I think it was more along the lines that they expected their readers to be surprised by their findings. Also remember that the authors were marketing professors, so they were sharing the results of their survey-based research. Interesting to certain academically-inclined nerds like myself, but not so interesting to most people.

For me, the biggest value came in Chapters 5 and 6 [Ch. 5 - Economic Outpatient Care; Ch. 6 - Affirmative Action, Family Style]. I found it very instructive to see some of the mistakes that the wealthy sometimes make when it comes to 'helping' family members.

I almost quit reading before I got to those chapters. But I'm really glad I didn't!
ZachTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I hate to use hyperbole, but I think this book saved my life. At the time I read it, I was making $350k / year and had a net worth of minus $200k. We were in debt up to our eyeballs and had very little to show for it. I read it and that put me on the path to change. Then my wife read it and she was on board. Luckily I was making a lot of money so we could cut spending and get out of debt quickly. Then the savings started increasing and I retired this year @ 55. What a ride.
Congrats to both of you!
Old 07-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I read the book back in the mid to late 1990's and didn't realize it was "new" at the time. We were nowhere near retirement at the time but definitely working toward some version of FIRE. I agree the book is somewhat of a "duh, that's obvious" sort of scenario but reading it during that time of life definitely provided credence to our financial path.

We've given the book as a gift to people who are early in their financial lives with the hope that at least some of the ideas will "rub off" on them. Some of the gift recipients have indicated they didn't take time to read the book. Others indicated the book had too many statistics and was difficult for them to read. Some indicated becoming a millionaire was not achievable so they didn't want to even try! Oh well, we tried to throw a life preserver to a few folks. Guess I can't be concerned about what they chose to do with it.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

The Millionaire Next Door was one of the first financial books I ever bought in 1996, along with Your Money or Your Life. TMND was very influential to me and helped to shape my mindset about money, frugality and building wealth. I became a PAW -prodigious accumulator of wealth after reading it. I reread it often as I do many of the financial books that I own because I just enjoy them so much. I was already frugal before I read the book, but became even more so after because the book made me see that I could achieve FI.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote