Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Few times now, our mail delivery person shifted mails by one house down the whole block. Not sure how this could happen since every house has their street numbers clearly posted outside. Neighbors all busy delivered the mails to the next house after delivery man left.
Yes, your experience is identical to what I described in the post just before yours (except it continued every day for a couple of years, here). Luckily mine was delivered to Frank's house, so I got all of it from him.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #22

You could sign-up for informed delivery.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I guess this is just another good reasons to go paperless wherever I can.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You could sign-up for informed delivery.
Interesting, I guess then I might have a "better" idea of just how much is really getting lost. Assuming it at least makes it to the scanners.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Omg! These stories are laughable! I have several theories why mail delivery is not as reliable as it used to be. I did spend a 30 year career with the USPS FYI

The newer employees are often paid a lot less without benefits so there's a lot more turnover and they are under a lot of pressure to deliver different routes each day. I remember the USPS would ask that new part time delivery folks be available 6 days a week but with no guarantee of hours and no benefits! Now it's 7 days with Sunday Amazon pkg deliveries!

We sometimes get our mail from a certain neighbor (we have similar numbers (1365 vs 1356 - dyslexia ?) but we never get her mail? We have the cluster box type system.

All in all, not too bad here but 90 pct of what we get is Presort Standard (aka junk mail). So much waste!

I think Amazon needs to buy the Post Office. Did I just hear they are about to buy Target?
Travelfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

[QUOTE=sengsational;1992104]You could sign-up for informed delivery.[/Q

This is a great service!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I think it's the change in mail carrier, we used to have a good one, now this one is illiterate

We have suddenly had a decrease in mail, we normally get mail every single day, suddenly none 2 days ago, and 1 piece yesterday, meanwhile days ago I was emailed by sender they are sending me 5 pieces of mail.

I suspect the cold weather has made the mail person decide to skip some houses as its just so cold.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

I suspect the cold weather has made the mail person decide to skip some houses as its just so cold.
I'd never thought of a postal carrier doing that. However in my career I've seen many places where employees threw away their work. All kinds of important stuff to those impacted.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My father spent his entire career climbing up the ladder at the postal service in another country. He had plenty of stories about what could go wrong. Managers could only address the problem (no pun intended) if they knew about it, so it’s important to make the postal service aware.

In my current condo building (which has its own postal code) we had to instal a “return to sender” box in the lobby because so much mail was misdirected. We contacted the local Canada Post depot. Turns out it was a new mail person who was clearly not doing his/her job properly. He/she was given additional training and reassigned. I don’t know if he/she us still working for a Canada Post. But our new mail lady is wonderful. She brings my Amazon packages right to my door.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I deliver other neighbor's mail frequently and they return the favor. Last April, we received a Christmas card dated 12/5/2016.

I could go on, but it depresses me. Oh, and I get to deliver some older woman's prescriptions every three months. She lives a mile away.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

An ex-BF had a Commercial Drivers License and would often supplement his corporate income by driving for the Detroit main post office warehouse during the holidays (back in the 90's when people sent tons of Christmas cards and packages). He would regale me with interesting stories of life at the Post Office. The warehouse would move mail around in large fabric (with metal frames) wheeled carts. You may have seen them in the back ends of post offices -- (~4 ft. x 6 ft and 4 ft. high)...sometimes the mail would fall off these carts onto the ground at the warehouse docks as they were being loaded onto the semi-trucks for distribution. Ex-BF noticed that no one ever picked up this stray mail, so he'd periodically jump down, pick up the armfuls laying there and carry them to his manager's office...who seemed surprised at the 'special delivery'. When ex-BF wasn't working there, we could only surmise that that mail likely never got delivered to its intended destination.

I've since forgotten the other stories. It's a wonder any mail gets where it's supposed to go.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelfreek View Post
The newer employees are often paid a lot less without benefits so there's a lot more turnover and they are under a lot of pressure to deliver different routes each day.
I had NO IDEA!! Thank you for that information. That explains a lot. No wonder they aren't as good as the USPS employees that we all remember in the past. That's a terribly hard job and with no benefits, I can see why people might not work there very long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (6.2 KB, 147 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

USPS service stinks! I've had my mail show up in some random kids locker at school, who fortunately gave it to my kid. Really. Boxes left open and mail blowing thru community. Place mail on vacation hold, and return to a mailbox full of mail. Complained to local management who essentially said "too bad". Now I use informed delivery, but as was pointed out, all that shows is what didn't make it to my box. Zero accountability by management.
HarveyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More than half of my informed delivery has the photo below.
I guess that's for entertainment value.

---

Also, I filed temporary forwarding with USPS for ~6 months. In the first two months, my poor neighbor has already sent me 2 large envelopes of mail that ended up in my mailbox. She has spoken to the folks at the post office and I've called them twice. They assure all all is well.

I'll go back to watching the (mis) informed delivery.

omni
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USPS mailpiece.JPG (40.3 KB, 22 views)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I'd never thought of a postal carrier doing that. However in my career I've seen many places where employees threw away their work. All kinds of important stuff to those impacted.
When I think of them skipping some houses due to the cold weather, I am hoping they deliver it the next day or so, and not simply toss it away.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
When I think of them skipping some houses due to the cold weather, I am hoping they deliver it the next day or so, and not simply toss it away.
Seems like (tossing it) would be a federal crime punishable by fine, jail time or both? Or maybe it's like some other federal crimes that they choose not to enforce or just let it go up in smoke.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

We have had at least 12 different letter carriers in our neighborhood since we moved here 3 years ago. They are ALL part time employees and some even drive their own cars when delivering mail. Horrible service on a continuing basis.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I am so pleased to see that USPS is eroding to the level of service of Canada Post.

Canada Post bought a courier company (Purolator) and it is unable to deliver mail to our apartment. It is a penthouse on the 19th floor. But the official address is 4-street address. Purolator insists that 4 must be a ground floor location in a mall. We have tried PH4 but CP rejects that.

So when we ask Amazon to deliver via USPS, we are resigned to have to pick it up. Unless it is small enough to be delivered in an envelope. Then it is through the door!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

This would explain some of the lost/missing mail in Louisiana.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/for...il-for-months/
Old 01-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

---

Also, I filed temporary forwarding with USPS for ~6 months. In the first two months, my poor neighbor has already sent me 2 large envelopes of mail that ended up in my mailbox. She has spoken to the folks at the post office and I've called them twice. They assure all all is well.

I'll go back to watching the (mis) informed delivery.

omni
When I was overseas for 3 months I arranged for forwarding to a service that opened my mail and emailed me scanned images. This worked for about a week, then no more email. When I got back I found the problem was with the USPS who just stopped forwarding and resumed delivery to my (overflowing) mailbox.

Our latest delivery guy brings a boom box so he can listen to loud music while putting mail into the boxes in our apartment’s mail room (~150 units).
I was misinformed is offline   Reply With Quote