missing mail from the state

I NEVER get mail on the same day it shows up in informed delivery--it is always 2-3 days later. Often USPS tracking shows packages as delivered but they are not actually delivered until several days later. I mailed a birthday card to my elderly mother who lives in my same state, about 60 miles away and it took 2 weeks to arrive. I often have mail returned to sender as address unknown but I have lived right here at the same address for years. Where I live the US mail is awful and I avoid using it if at all possible.

I can't believe all the PO hate on this thread. At the risk of jinxing myself. In the 5 plus years we've had ID, we have never had a piece go missing or show up more then a day late. Is it a region thing?

Yeah, well, I don't think most of the comments (and certainly not the audit review linked to above) have much to do with informed delivery. In fact, personally, I do check ID but I have no problem if the piece of mail takes a couple more days to show up. What IS a problem however is that apparently, thousands of packages were shelved for months at the post office and were not delivered. Also a problem is 4-6 weeks delivery times for letters, 2+ months for international mail. I think most of us remember well a time when you could basically rely near 100% on timely delivery by the post office. It may have started to go downhill 10 or 20 years ago, but man, at least in MY neighborhood, service has taken a MASSIVE hit over the past year or so. It may not be a total coincidence that the "new" postmaster general took over at about that point.

Here are 4 stories from an Indianapolis TV station, that was the source of my recent package delay. I had an email exchange with the reporter and she told me of her stories.
The third one is about a meeting of the USPS board of directors to discuss changes.

https://fox59.com/news/usps-confirm...ng-and-distribution-center-leading-to-delays/

https://fox59.com/news/postal-delivery-delays-persist-after-holiday-season-rush/

https://fox59.com/news/national-wor...uesday-to-discuss-changes-to-improve-service/

https://fox59.com/news/usps-says-wi...-in-indy-local-union-says-its-more-than-that/

It's not about work ethic. Overtime rules were changed in 2020. By those in charge. He's required to do quit at 5PM by USPS overtime rules. Don't blame the carrier.

All carriers are different and I agree on the change in overtime rules being a problem. But our carrier, when I showed her the picture of the Informed Delivery photo on my cell phone of an apparently undelivered piece of mail I was waiting for, she said "you can't believe those pictures...they are not real."

Yeah, that's part of what we are dealing with these days.

I won't go into the conversations with her about the bags of other people's prescriptions I have gotten for other people not anywhere near where we live.

This type of problem is endemic around here. Maybe it's because we are in a densely populated area and those jobs are now mostly hired as temps.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, I don't think most of the comments (and certainly not the audit review linked to above) have much to do with informed delivery. In fact, personally, I do check ID but I have no problem if the piece of mail takes a couple more days to show up. What IS a problem however is that apparently, thousands of packages were shelved for months at the post office and were not delivered. Also a problem is 4-6 weeks delivery times for letters, 2+ months for international mail. I think most of us remember well a time when you could basically rely near 100% on timely delivery by the post office. It may have started to go downhill 10 or 20 years ago, but man, at least in MY neighborhood, service has taken a MASSIVE hit over the past year or so. It may not be a total coincidence that the "new" postmaster general took over at about that point.

Well in my neck of the woods I've had no problem with any of this. An occasional 1 or 2 day delay in winter due to snow packed roads or blowing snow but that's it.

I can't believe all the PO hate on this thread. At the risk of jinxing myself. In the 5 plus years we've had ID, we have never had a piece go missing or show up more then a day late. Is it a region thing?

I’m with you. Considering all that the Postal Service has to put up with, I think they do a damn good job. Is it as good as it used to be? Undoubtedly not... but then again, that applies to so many companies and service industries today. I try to focus on how often they get it right. I appreciate the ID service, especially while away from home. I think their website is well-designed and I appreciate the easy options for printing postage from home and scheduling package pickups from my door. I very rarely have occasion to visit a post office, but when I do, I’m met with competent and courteous service.

I’m in the Phoenix area, so I marvel at the performance of our local carriers, who have to stand and process mail at neighborhood mailbox clusters in 105-115° heat for much of the summer. I try to catch our local guy whenever I’m around and bring him a cold bottled water from the fridge (the mailboxes are across the street from our house). He seems to greatly appreciate it. :cool::cool::cool:

Back
Top Bottom