Join Early Retirement Today

Mistaken identification
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mistaken identification

So Ms G wanted a retail credit card that provided free shipping on all her online orders. I had not applied for any credit for a long time, so I say let me apply. Deed done, I get a rejected letter.

Them: Letter states credit is fine we couldn’t verify that it was you who applied for the credit.
Grasshopper: What you have my name, social security number, drivers license number, date of birth, address and phone number.

Them: Well yea you did not pass the security questions.

1. If you had a mortgage in 2008 who serviced the mortgage?
2. What was the amount of the mortgage?
3. Who is Todd Whatshisname?
4. What is his relationship to you?

Grasshopper: No mortgage since 2003, never heard of Todd Whatshisname, you must be looking at someone else with my name.
Them: Oh no, we received the information for these identifying questions from public records, not from a credit report.
Grasshopper: Well ask me some new questions and lets try again.
Them: No can do, but if you mail us copies of your SS # DL, we will look again.
Grasshopper: Wait if I was making up some phony stuff, wouldn’t I have phony ID too.
Grasshopper: Click.

Now for 10 years I have written down every question asked on my three free annual reports. Truck loans made and paid off. Mortgage dates and amounts, especially because banks changed names or were serviced by other banks. Where I lived and when, what street, you name it, just for this reason.

I did Whitepage me, and they have me living in New Mexico.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This rings a bell.

I'm helping Dad out with his finances, and when we signed on for an online account, we got almost the exact same questions (car loan instead of mortgage). Actually, I did it when Dad was out of the room.

So I knew Dad never had a loan and Todd Whathisname was nobody he knew. I actually panicked a bit thinking he was hacked, but instead I answered those two questions as "Not applicable" or something similar, which was a choice.

We passed the test. They seemed to be intentionally bogus questions.

Not sure that was the case with you.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Administrator

I have this problem with Experion, failing a question. They insist I am someone different and won't give me my free credit report, and also got locked out of the SSA online account set-up.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I have this problem with Experion, failing a question. They insist I am someone different and won't give me my free credit report, and also got locked out of the SSA online account set-up.
Sounds awful! Will you have to go down to the local SS office and stand in line, then? My understanding is that that would not be a pleasant way to spend the day, at all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
This rings a bell.

I'm helping Dad out with his finances, and when we signed on for an online account, we got almost the exact same questions (car loan instead of mortgage). Actually, I did it when Dad was out of the room.

So I knew Dad never had a loan and Todd Whathisname was nobody he knew. I actually panicked a bit thinking he was hacked, but instead I answered those two questions as "Not applicable" or something similar, which was a choice.

We passed the test. They seemed to be intentionally bogus questions.

Not sure that was the case with you.
Whenever I get my freeannualcreditreport.com I always seem to get one that applies to me. These weren't even close. If you do a people search they will show names, parents, siblings, SO, sometimes if they use the same address. Ms G shows up as Ms G when really she uses her given name Ms Butterfly.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Whenever I get my freeannualcreditreport.com I always seem to get one that applies to me. These weren't even close. If you do a people search they will show names, parents, siblings, SO, sometimes if they use the same address. Ms G shows up as Ms G when really she uses her given name Ms Butterfly.
Oh yeah, I'm sorry if I was confusing. The other two questions were spot on. There were just two completely bogus ones in there too.

I see now out of your 4 questions, it is really just two with a secondary question. If the two main questions (mortgage place and mr. whn) are bogus, you can't even answer the secondary question.

OK, so my situation was different.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm just not the man I used to be...
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds awful! Will you have to go down to the local SS office and stand in line, then? My understanding is that that would not be a pleasant way to spend the day, at all.
Yes, I called to explain and the only option they have available was that. If this hasn't been resolved by my 65th birthday I guess that's what I'll do.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've used some similar sites where they deliberately use bogus questions to hone down who you really are.

Is this something different?