Join Early Retirement Today

Mitch Mitchell Dead
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mitch Mitchell Dead

Mitch Mitchell died yesterday. He was the drummer for the Jimmy Hendrix Experience. It is a big blow for Hendrix fanatics everywhere. The last member of the Experience.
I could use some help with the links. London Times article below.

With the death of Mitch Mitchell, the Jimi Hendrix Experience is over - Times Online

I think he was one of the best rock drummers of his era.

Farovite Hendrix lyrics:
"...Fall mountains, just don't fall on me.."
"...right-on Mr. Businessman, you can't dress like me"

Forever in our hearts,

Free to Canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I read this as "Mitch Miller" at first. And then I thought -- oh, wait. Couldn't be, since I'm sure Mitch Miller's been dead for a long time already.

And then I looked it up, and Mitch Miller is still alive -- at 97. Thus goes my brain.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We still have Billy Cox. And Buddy Miles...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
<< so THAT's what that smiley is for!

I recently heard a HS marching Band do "Fire", and it actually reminded me just how awesome the percussion is in that song. Mitch Mitchell @ Woodstock - RIP (man):

-ERD50

-
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Mitch was very much like a jazz drummer. Listen to Voodoo Chile (not the more familiar Voodoo Child (Slight Return)) from Electric Ladyland. Some pretty good Hammond organ by Steve Winwood, too.

Cox and Hendrix were old Army buddies.

Buddy's style was once described as like a cement mixer... Listen to Band Of Gypsys (sic).

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #6

ERD50 Nice clip, hard to do better than that!

HFWR All true. Some say Electric Ladyland was Hendrix's masterpiece. I agree.
All of the other ones are great, too.
Now if I can get Paul Allen to "donate" the Woodstock guitar to me, I will be all set.
Too many memories / stories.

Favorite Hendrix story?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

OK, I've had a few homebrews to ease my bad back (again - ummm, sad about bad back, not homebrews), going off to listen to my CD of Electric Ladyland to pay my respects. Will return with a story or two.

BTW, I'm a very amateurish keyboard player, absolutely love the keyboard work that Winwood does on EL (and everything else for that matter), I will focus on the drumming this listen. Be back later....

-ERD50
Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

OK, 16:05 later.... well, 32:10 plus, had to listen twice, plus a few other tracks.....Wow - thanks HFWR, I probably never noticed the drumming that much. He starts out the first few verses with a more standard, laid back blues beat, by then the guitar and organ catch my attention. But the drumming @ ~ 7:50 really goes jazzy - I can imagine Coltrane walking in and picking up the lead, and again @8:50.

And I always think of "Voodoo Child" as "Catfish Blues", it's just so back-to-basics. Rainy Day, Watchtower - quite an iconic work.

I think the most interesting Hendrix story is the one that we will never know - he was starting to collaborate with some Jazz musicians, I think he felt he had done enough blues and wanted to stretch out some more. Man, that would have been interesting....

-ERD50
Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I do love this "story". Cavett interviewing Hendrix about his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

" I just played it, I'm American, so I played it - I used to sing it in school, it's a flash-back" and when Cavett says he will get "hate mail" because it is "unorthodox", Hendrix, says "It's not unorthodox, I just thought it was beautiful ".

Gotta love it. It actually took me a while to appreciate the beauty of Hendrix SSB. But wow.

-ERD50
Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

sorry ,buddy miles died a few months ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/ar...hp&oref=slogin
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My family lived in London when Hendrix hit the scene. He was so popular there and my brother and I were crazy about him. I remember my Missouri grandmother being very concerned about us when we visited and brought all our Hendrix albums. The music has stood the test of time and still sounds great today.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #12

Wow. Buddy Miles passed on. Didn't know that.

Purron, well said about the test of time.

I have been listening to Hendrix since I was a teenager. I never get tired of it.

I always thought that a movie should be made of the song In 1983, (I merman I should turn to be). To do that guess you would have to be as far out visually as Hendrix was musically.

He was quite the poet.

Free to Canoe