Join Early Retirement Today

modem woes
Old 11-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

modem woes

Problem has arisen connecting to internet (dial-up earthlink). 2x clik the icon, get the little window, intializing (ok), opening comm port (ok), dialing (ok), then nothing. Little sounds like the elves who hold hands and drive the crystal with their psychic energy have run amok (sorry for the deep techno-jargon). Phone line's ok, ph # ok, just can't get no stinking connection. I'm thinking modem no bueno.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: modem woes
Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
Problem has arisen connecting to internet (dial-up earthlink). 2x clik the icon, get the little window, intializing (ok), opening comm port (ok), dialing (ok), then nothing. Little sounds like the elves who hold hands and drive the crystal with their psychic energy have run amok (sorry for the deep techno-jargon). Phone line's ok, ph # ok, just can't get no stinking connection. I'm thinking modem no bueno.
Yup, sounds like the modem card went belly up. You can fix it quite easily. Buy a new modem card and install it. If it fixes it your set. If it does not make sure the place you buy it from will take a return. Modem cards are pretty cheap. SHould be around $20.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #3

Thank you.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Yup, sounds like the modem card went belly up. You can fix it quite easily. Buy a new modem card and install it. If it fixes it your set. If it does not make sure the place you buy it from will take a return. Modem cards are pretty cheap. SHould be around $20.
You might also try pulling the card & reseating it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Modems are very sensitive to noise in the phone line and I've had them blow out during lightning storms; the result is just what you describe.

Do as C-T suggests and replace the modem but also get a surge suppressor that also has connectors to protect the phone lines. Or bite the bullet and go to cheap dsl (mine is $18/mo for 2mbps) but also run phone line through a surge supressor.

Good luck

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #6

Do you live in a rural area? In urban areas where there's broadband, dial-up is obsolescent technology. Dial-up and DSL in many places is now the same price.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #7

Thanks for all the advice. At this time, the gremlins have decided to go back to massaging the magic crystal (the modem started working again on its own). I do have the phone line on a sure protector as well as a line filter as I get some interference from an AM radio transmission tower sort of nearby.

I tried to get DSL a while back and found that Verizon didn't quite extend to my house (I live smack in the middle of Southern Calif megalopolis, so what's up with that?). Supposedly I can get it now, just been too lazy to check (have a fast connection at work and spend more time online there than home- oops not really boss!). Again, thanks all.