Join Early Retirement Today

Modern board games
Old 01-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Modern board games

Hello all,

I'm curious how many of us older folks are fans of modern board games. I'm not talking about Monopoly, Risk, Uno etc. I talking about games like Ticket to Ride, WingSpan, Castles of Burgundy etc.

Cheers all,
Harrald
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Never heard of any of those newer ones, so I guess that lets me out.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a fan and it is on my list to find a local group. I've done a little bit of Catan, Carcassonne, and Pandemic with the family, but nothing face to face beyond that. The eurogames and modern games have great production values and really good mechanics that usually keep everyone involved until the end.

I've also done some Memoir '44 and Battle Cry with DS#2, but he is now out of the house so those games will be few and far between.

The PC version of Ticket to Ride is my "don't want to think too much" game of choice when I'm not up for my usual hard core wargame.

And I still have a small collection of Avalon Hill, SPI, Columbia, etc. games in the Library closet. Started with board wargames about 1972.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #4
gone traveling

Wow, I must be sheltered, I haven't heard of any of the game mentioned so far in this thread. We do play lots of different card games, and some Parcheesi with friends when we go camping...lots of fun. We no longer play monopoly with my wife, she is ruthless !
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sheltered. It's not a mainstream hobby at all. They're becoming more accessible since a few larger chain stores are carrying some. But the majority of them are bought via Game stores (they don't advertise), Online and Kickstarter.

Monopoly without any house rules isn't an awful game. It's a "roll & move" game that depends on luck. A lot of newer games use randomness to change the game a very little bit. Mostly you need to plan the best move for yourself while not giving any of your opponents an opportunity to get points.

Also the main thing about modern style games is that no one is "OUT" of the game till it's over. No sitting around waiting for every one else to finish.

My bride and I have been playing for years. Our group consists of people 26-64 and jobs from computer programmers, electricians, Drs and even a particle physicist.

Cheers,
Harrald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Wow, I must be sheltered, I haven't heard of any of the game mentioned so far in this thread. We do play lots of different card games, and some Parcheesi with friends when we go camping...lots of fun. We no longer play monopoly with my wife, she is ruthless !
Old 01-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not much for board games but the last one I played was Forbidden Island which is a cooperative game. Enjoyed it more than traditional competitive ones
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrald View Post
Hello all,

I'm curious how many of us older folks are fans of modern board games. I'm not talking about Monopoly, Risk, Uno etc. I talking about games like Ticket to Ride, WingSpan, Castles of Burgundy etc.

Cheers all,
Harrald
What makes these different than classic board games? I’m not interested in classic board games any more, would the modern games be different?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #8

Last bored game I played was probably monopoly.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Modern board games

Mr. Blueskyk and I play chess and now I’m finally starting to win some games. The best part is that somehow we end up in all these interesting conversations while we play.

But, I don’t think it’s considered a “modern” board game anymore.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:55 AM   #10

We play Catan a lot.
Love that game. The unique board every time you start makes it so... replayable.
I’ve also played many others, but Catan is the one our neighbors and us come back to regularly.

Www.catan.com
Old 01-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #11

We play Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride with the DSs and their friends. They are both quite fun. We have nephew that tries every new board game and steers us towards the best.

I decline if the old board games (Monopoly, Risk, Lif, etc.)are mentioned as an option.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

Catan and Carcassonne, with all the extensions.
KCinBAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:17 AM   #13

I have played Catan and Ticket to Ride. I don't really care for them too much. The reason might be that I was playing with my daughter and son-in-law, who were in their 20's and so much better at thinking through the games than I was. Four of us ladies get together and play Rummikub and I really enjoy this.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You can think of classic board games e.g. Monopoly (it's a bad example because most people have house ruled it and made it an awful 6 hour game) or Risk etc as mass produced beer and think of modern board games as craft beer.
They're a theme or mechanic for everyone. They're also generally more skill based. You learn how to minimize your opponents potential to score while maximizing your own opportunities.
There are numerous apps that can be downloaded. Some are free and are a great way to see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
What makes these different than classic board games? I’m not interested in classic board games any more, would the modern games be different?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We like to play Catan. our Son and DIL (then his fiancee) introduced us to it about 2 years ago.

I guess it depends on what time period you define as "modern". We play a lot of Rummikub, Sequence, and UpWords. Are those considered "modern"?
Old 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy modern board games, and they seem to be becoming more popular. Here is my collection. A few more have been added since this picture was taken.

Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Great collection. I love the 10th anniversary TTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
I enjoy modern board games, and they seem to be becoming more popular. Here is my collection. <<SNIP>>
Old 01-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #18

We play games every night (and some afternoons) when we're out in the RV. Indoor games (using things that might blow away) include cribbage, Monopoly Deal (much shorter and more fun than the traditional game), CodeNames Duet (two-player version of a popular recent cooperative party game), and 6Nimmt (a German card game). DS gave us Jaipur for Christmas but we haven't played it yet. Our outdoor picnic table games were quite limited until DS (who is really into games) found a few modern ones with sturdy pieces. Carcassonne and King Domino are our favorites. We also have YamSlam (variation on Yahtzee using chips for scoring) and Bendominos (domino variation).

I finally got to play Catan at a brewery with DS recently and enjoyed it, but it won't work for our travels for various reasons. Same with Azul.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
We play games every night (and some afternoons) when we're out in the RV. Indoor games (using things that might blow away) include cribbage, Monopoly Deal (much shorter and more fun than the traditional game), CodeNames Duet (two-player version of a popular recent cooperative party game), and 6Nimmt (a German card game). DS gave us Jaipur for Christmas but we haven't played it yet. Our outdoor picnic table games were quite limited until DS (who is really into games) found a few modern ones with sturdy pieces. Carcassonne and King Domino are our favorites. We also have YamSlam (variation on Yahtzee using chips for scoring) and Bendominos (domino variation).

I finally got to play Catan at a brewery with DS recently and enjoyed it, but it won't work for our travels for various reasons. Same with Azul.
We really like Monopoly Deal too for a fun, fast game. Can be pretty cut throat at times. I think you will like Jaipur. We like a lot of the two player games, since it is often just the DW and I.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
A good resource on modern (and not so modern) games is BoardGameGeek. The top rated ones are here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

And no, Rummikub is not a modern game. It was designed in the 1930s, exported to the U.S. in the 1950s, and was one of my parents favorite games.

Settlers of Catan (now just Catan) from 1995 is the first "eurogame" to be popularized in the U.S. and, IMO, is the origin of "modern" games. In addition, Kickstarter has been a boon to boardgame designers filling all kinds of niches.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote