Join Early Retirement Today

Moisture and Slipping Fan Belt
Old 12-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moisture and Slipping Fan Belt

Yesterday evening the car was outside, and unusually wet from dew or drizzle. When I started it, I heard the typical squealing from slipping belts. It stopped after 30 seconds of driving. This has never happened before.

I won't be taking it in for servicing for another 5,000 miles. Any reason to have the belts looked at sooner?

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yesterday evening the car was outside, and unusually wet from dew or drizzle. When I started it, I heard the typical squealing from slipping belts. It stopped after 30 seconds of driving. This has never happened before.

I won't be taking it in for servicing for another 5,000 miles. Any reason to have the belts looked at sooner?

Thanks.
You could pick up some belt dressing at an automotive store, and give it shot....it's occasionally worked for me. If it continues after the dressing treatment, replacing the belt is a pretty sure fire way to get the squealing belt to stop.....that's worked for me more often than belt dressing....but the belt dressing is cheaper (if it works).
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With the car off take a look yourself and push down of the belts. If there's a lot of play you can tighten up the belt. Let's say the alternator belt is loose, loosen the bolt on the alternator and move it to tighten the belt then tighten the bolt again. Also look to see if there's any cracking on the belt itself. If you have any cracks you can change the belt yourself.

You can also do this if you have only one serpentine belt but it's a little harder. You can look under the hood for a little chart of the way the belt runs if you'd like to change it.

At least you'll know what the problem is if you take a good look at the belts.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Might be a loose or worn out belt.

Might be a bearing going on the alternator, water pump, idler, a/c compressor, etc.

Belt dressing has never worked for me. (tried it twice)
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

As the belts get older they tend to lose their traction on the pulleys due to glazing of the rubber,i usually take this as a sign to get new belts.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

With the wet weather, Ohio right?, there was a heavy dew/frost and the excess moisture caused the belt to slip. If you jumped in the car and took off, not allowing the belt to warm and dry off, it is going to slip.

Most newer cars have belt tensioner so without experience just pushing on the belt won't tell you much. Your belt may have stretched to wear the tensioner is at or close to the end of travel limit.

Inspect the belt for loose threads or obvious signs of wear. Just note the problem and listen for it again. If you intend to go on a long trip, have someone look at it at a reputable shop or a knowlegable friend for that second up close opinion.
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I had this problem on my Ford F-150. I replaced the serpentine belt with a Gatorback brand belt. No more squealing. You may also want to check the tensioner pulley to see if it rotates freely and puts adequate tension on the belt.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's happening regularly now, so it's time to fix it. Any weird, newfangled stuff in there that would prevent me from doing it myself? I'm OK at minor repairs on cars older than 1965 -- this is a 2002 Echo.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Your library might have a service manual for this model. If so, it would have the procedure for changing the belt.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Its not a hard job but you need a bit of indoor heated space at this time of year. As that Echo is getting on in life you might benefit from a forum dedicated to the Echo Toyota Echo and Yaris Fans Community - Index page
its one of a few sites i go to when i need Echo info.

Here's another good site but for some reason it doesnt have belt replacement.
Sorensonbrian
might be in the messages section.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks.
You might need a new belt - look for a glaze and/or cracks
Or the tensioner might need adjusting

I changed the belt on my truck in less than 5 minutes.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Took a look, and it's very cramped in there. The belt's path looks more complicated than Boston surface streets. It also is dark in there; I got scared .

I'm going to wuss out and have a pro do it.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Took a look, and it's very cramped in there. The belt's path looks more complicated than Boston surface streets. It also is dark in there; I got scared .

I'm going to wuss out and have a pro do it.
I thought the same thing - complicated - then I looked at the diagram on the radiator and tried to follow it.