MOOCs - college courses for free

I've taken a lot of courses from itunes U and the open courses from Stanford and MIT, and I also listen to a lot from the Teaching Company (which are not free, but are available from major libraries and tend to have better production values. I buy them.) It has greatly enhanced my life!

My dad is the person who first recommended them to me, and I have about 5 friends who have started doing this after I've loaned them a lecture series. It really helps make driving more interesting!

DH and I have taken several courses at Coursera and also enrolled in courses at edX. We have used MIT's OpenCourseware and iTunes U in the past. Great Courses from the Teaching Company have been very high quality. I really liked their Big History series.

fyi
"Univ of Wisconsin will award a bachelor's degree based on knowledge—not just class time or credits.... Now, educators in Wisconsin are offering a possible solution by decoupling the learning part of education from student assessment and degree-granting..."

College Degree, No Class Time Required - WSJ.com

I'm taking a great history course from Coursera right now. And a physics course from Udacity. Take 'em now before they start charging for them.

these companies seem to be the darlings of the media and venture capitalists. But they don't make a dime, and neither do the universities/professors they work with. Not sure how long that can last.

that reminds me--I'm behind in my history class--gotta study tonight! :)

Lots of great ideas for life long learning.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom