Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2022, 07:43 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Q: Why was the farmer buried in a shallow grave?
A: So he could still get a handout.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How about the health care industrial complex

The finance industrial complex

The government industrial complex

Should I continue ��
I get it, agriculture isn't the only 'complex'
Old 04-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

If I remember correctly, in order to produce X amount of ethanol energy, it requires 2/3 *X energy to produce it. That and it's not a good idea to burn up the food supply.
DaveInMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I've been told by people who live in an area where they can get 100% petroleum gasoline that they get better mileage with it. Whether the mileage is good enough to offset the increased price is another question.
It would depend on the price difference. In my area, real gas (no ethanol) is very expensive and a little difficult to get. I use it for my lawn tractor and yard equipment. For as little as I use, it’s worth the extra cost. No carburetor problems. And, yes, I do get more mows out of each tank of gas. I didn’t measure it, but roughly I get two mows (one acre) out of a tank of gas with ethanol versus three with the real gas.

Now where my dad lives, in Missouri, there’s a station where people the premium fuel is non ethanol. So, the premium is not as high. I bet it would be close to break even using that gas at that price differential, but that’s just a guess.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
WOW
I have a feeling that one is going to elicit a few replies..lol
Old 04-12-2022, 08:01 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ethanol is destructive to small gas engines. I always use Marine Stabil (the blue green not the pink) in the gas for them and drain the tank and run them dry when done using them for the season.

Would adding Marine Stabil to 15% ethanol 87 octane (regular) gas protect a gas engine in a car or truck. Does the year of manufacture matter? I have a 2005 AWD Honda CRV 4 cylinder that runs on 87 octane.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post

That's a really old joke you are going to have to do better then that..
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:15 AM   #48

John Deere made a new model tractor, it comes standard with no seat and no steering wheel.
It's for the farmer who lost his arse and has nowhere to turn.
skyking1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I watched the Clarkson's Farm on Amazon. Had a few laughs, a few sobering moments and learned that farming ranks right up there with gold mining for a good way to work really hard at going broke.

The sheep thing was the real kick in the nuts....it was like $4 per sheep or something to shear them and the wool you got sold for $0.40
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:26 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

A local news show was asking a petroleum industry analyst about the 15% ethanol rule change. His comment was that less than 20% of the stations in the USA sold the stuff. IOW, it won't make much difference.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:31 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

One

As I read more about the possible effects of the 15% ethanol rule I realize that another rule I learned is proving to be very true:

Quote:
You can never do just one thing.
Corn farmers are happy to get more money for their corn. Chicken farmers are unhappy as they are expecting higher feed prices.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One

As I read more about the possible effects of the 15% ethanol rule I realize that another rule I learned is proving to be very true:

Corn farmers are happy to get more money for their corn. Chicken farmers are unhappy as they are expecting higher feed prices.

You are misunderstanding, corn farmers will not get more for their corn from yesterdays news that's a misconception. Just because Biden made that announcement from an ethanol plants doesn't mean corn goes up. Many, many ethanol plants are farmer owner coop, farmers buy shares, construct a plant which the right to sell a certain number of bushels to the plant that makes the E. At the end of the year if there is money left over it would distributed to the farmer/owner.

You can't just start making more 15 it doesn't work that way. There won't be anymore new corn stocks until at least October. Can't build new plants either. This was basically a non event.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:09 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I think we already proved ethanol is both uneconomic and environmentally unsound to mix with gasoline. A very silly decision that pretends to be "doing something" about high gas prices.

I guess this is just a lot easier than approving pipelines (in the US I mean) issuing drilling and road construction permits and allowing new exploration and leasing on federal lands.
Less MPG, more boondoggle subsidies to BigAG that doesn't need it!

'Murica.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:22 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Less MPG, more boondoggle subsidies to BigAG that doesn't need it!

'Murica.
I think you are confused..this is no different than the solar or windmill government sponsored boondoggle. ...
Old 04-13-2022, 11:12 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I also read that E15 is only approved (by EPA) for heavy duty vehicles, boats, off-road, power equipment, and specific flex-fuel cars. Not for most automobiles. I won't be buying E15.
The owner's manual for my Subaru Outback says that up to 15% ethanol is ok for the 2.4L models (including mine), and up to 10% for the 2.5Ls. I'm driving to the midwest tomorrow and expect I'll see E15 and I'll likely try it at least once. I'll try to compare the mileage but unless I run my tank pretty empty (which I don't like to do in unfamiliar areas) it'll be a mix in my tank.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The owner's manual for my Subaru Outback says that up to 15% ethanol is ok for the 2.4L models (including mine), and up to 10% for the 2.5Ls. I'm driving to the midwest tomorrow and expect I'll see E15 and I'll likely try it at least once. I'll try to compare the mileage but unless I run my tank pretty empty (which I don't like to do in unfamiliar areas) it'll be a mix in my tank.
That seems a bad idea. I don’t like to experiment when I’m on the road. While very unlikely, what if the E15 causes issues with your car? Just not worth the risk, no matter how small.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:04 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
That seems a bad idea. I don’t like to experiment when I’m on the road. While very unlikely, what if the E15 causes issues with your car? Just not worth the risk, no matter how small.

I vote no as well, but it's not my car
Old 04-13-2022, 01:03 PM   #58

Quote:
less than 20% of the stations in the USA sold the stuff.
That's the key. No one (other than farmers) wanted the stuff then, or want it now.
I've been going to the same gas station for 37 years now. It's the most popular one in that part of town. (South Central Minnesota) they still don't have an ethanol pump.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:08 PM   #59

A global fuel shortage concerns me.

A global food shortage actually scares me.
Stormy Kromer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I think you are confused..this is no different than the solar or windmill government sponsored boondoggle. ...
Neither industry/sector is in its infancy.
Time to end subsidies for both.

I was actually laughing out loud as I typed that last sentence.
As if the lobbyists would ever let that happen!