Join Early Retirement Today

More blogging
Old 09-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac
More blogging

Two good, but sobering stories on global econ today

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/

As an aside, does anyone else here have any favorite blogs? Mine are angry bear, global econ analysis (link above), calculated risk, and big picture
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: More blogging
Old 09-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #2

http://www.capitalspectator.com/

http://www.lkmp.blogspot.com/
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #3

Gosh, you guys are a hifalutin bunch.* Fortunately, I have baser tastes.* If I'm not shaping my worldview from The Daily Show, I'm mining it from a self-proclaimed potty-mouthed slut.* That skank.

Between the two of them, they've taught me everything I know.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
If I'm not shaping my worldview from The Daily Show, I'm mining it from a self-proclaimed potty-mouthed slut. That skank.

Between the two of them, they've taught me everything I know.
I watch the daily show as well, although that doesn't help me dismiss your accusation.... it seems as though Daily Show viewers are better educated, better informed, and make more money than viewers of any other news outlet, or newspaper readers. So whose the pretentious one now Mr 'I only watch the Daily Show'?

[MOD EDIT: Removed extra character from link. -BMJ
Old 09-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"So whose the pretentious one now Mr 'I only watch the Daily Show'?"

Well, I only read The Economist.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
"So whose the pretentious one now Mr 'I only watch the Daily Show'?"

Well, I only read The Economist.
The Economist - best source of news EVER.

If I could afford the steep price, I'd get a subscription. Economist.com will do for now. I got hooked when I had free access to the Economist in our law library at school. No one ever read the Economist, so it was always available. Nice non-biased, non-partisan reading on a sufficiently advanced intellectual level (yet not snobby). Like Newsweek, except it isn't targeted towards those with a 9th grade education and a 30 second attention span.

It is refreshing to read something not so americentric too.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
The Economist - best source of news EVER.
I only read it for the pictures articles.

I realized this week that we subscribe to seven weekly/monthly magazines and I routinely read another half-dozen "magazine" websites. I'm already spending 2-3 hours a day reading something and my book list has doubled in length since I began ER. As much value as I could pull out of blogs, I just don't think I can find the time. Something's gonna give...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #8

Our local NPR station regularly has promotions that include a one year Economist subscription for contributions of $100 or more.* This week's issue had one of those flutter-away cards that offered gift subscriptions for $69/yr (I think) after the first full price subscription.* If anyone is interested, just PM me and I will dredge up the details.* As I recall, the gift subscriptions start after Christmas.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
If I could afford the steep price, I'd get a subscription.* Economist.com will do for now.*
Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #9

I suppose it was a cosmic inevitability that the forum which once witnessed a grim death match with senior citizens flashing IQ's at each other, would finally balance out with others diving for the bottom like dumster-divers on crack.

I flip through the National Equirer in supermarket lines.* And I'm not embarrassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
I watch the daily show as well, although that doesn't help me dismiss your accusation....
Old 09-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I realized this week that we subscribe to seven weekly/monthly magazines and I routinely read another half-dozen "magazine" websites.* I'm already spending 2-3 hours a day reading something and my book list has doubled in length since I began ER.* As much value as I could pull out of blogs, I just don't think I can find the time.* Something's gonna give...
Although i'm still working, I read a lot- and i'm not talking about novels. I probably spend 4-5 hours per day reading, learning about new things, and keeping up on current events. This past week I posed a question to myself- could I possibly be addicted to information? While I don't suffer any withdrawals when information isn't readily available, I will often spend additional time updating myself upon returning home. I rarely watch TV (maybe 2 hours per week), and when I do, it's one of several stations- history channel, TLC, discovery channel ('going tribal' is an excellent show), or 'good eats' on Food Network....

Is anyone else in the same boat as I? Hopefully? :
Old 09-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #11

Marshac,

I share your sentiments re: wanting new information. I can't stand to watch the local news at 10:00, 10:30, and 11:00 with my wife. I figure I can get the same content in 5 minutes of surfing. Nothing exciting happens anyway that I haven't already heard about. I like the "information" channels you listed. I find myself reading almost exclusively from the "non-fiction" side of the library. However, I do like entertainment. I like some other shows too: Survivor (game theory, strategic scheming), Lost, Amazing Race (new, exciting destinations), Desperate Housewives (social commentary), etc.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #12

The Zippers have subscribed to Newsweek for 35 years.

If they run one more religious-nut cover, we're gone.

The worst has to be US News & World Report, followed by Time.

The Economist keeps a pretty good separation of church and state.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
The Zippers have subscribed to Newsweek for 35 years.

If they run one more religious-nut cover, we're gone.

The worst has to be US News & World Report, followed by Time.

The Economist keeps a pretty good separation of church and state.
Subscribe to Newsweek. Even as a religious nut, I too have found the frequency of faith oriented covers a little disturbing. I see the media as the 4th branch of government, I'd like them to stay objective, which almost none have as of late. I have always enjoyed the economist. I always buy a WSJ when I fly for business, for spice.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #14

Time, newsweek, and US News and World Reports. Trying to rank those from worse to worst is like figuring out which moldy glob from the back of your fridge is the least rotten. I'd rather guess at what is going on in the world than read those rags.

I do read Conde Nast Traveler magazine. Pretty pictures and it's inspirational. Too many adverts though.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
As an aside, does anyone else here have any favorite blogs?
http://www.kirkreport.com

I'm not an active trader of any sort, but I like to get his perspective. Also, he usually has a good list of external stories a few times a week.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Still using paper. Subscribe to WSJ, Business Week, Economist, and a bunch of useless motorhoming rags.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #17

Christian Science Monitor, New Yorker, WSJ, Fortune, LLBean, Lands End, Musciansfriend, WeatherChannel, News Hour on PBS, NPR, and Google News.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #18

Love WSJ - don't pander to 6th grade education
Economist - phenomenal - and if you notice, authors aren't listed, so keeps preening to a minimum
Christian Science Monitor
Budget Travel
Interweave Knits

And if we are talking catalogs

Lands End
Title 9
High Country Gardens (thanks TH!)

Bridget
Old 09-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
Love WSJ - don't pander to 6th grade education
Economist - phenomenal - and if you notice, authors aren't listed, so keeps preening to a minimum
Christian Science Monitor
Budget Travel
Interweave Knits

And if we are talking catalogs

Lands End
Title 9
High Country Gardens (thanks TH!)

Bridget
Victoria's Secret
Soldier of Fortune
Handgun Digest

MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote