Join Early Retirement Today

More Doom and Gloom
Old 06-24-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More Doom and Gloom

Flu pandemic could kill half million in U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../health_flu_dc

Between WMD, the Flu, traffic accidents, and all the other threats to mankind, I'm surprised any of us make it past 40.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: More Doom and Gloom
Old 06-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: More Doom and Gloom

Someone up there must want us around for a bit longer.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:09 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

15 years ahead of its time...

Just barely made it past 40 myself. I'm hoping to stick around quite a while longer.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow - thanks for finding this!

I had some old buddies who were convinced that the original SARS was it, and would cause untold suffering and major economic displacements. And then H1N1 was “it”.

It took a while for the “real” pandemic to show up. And, no, it hasn’t been fun.

I see the original link is no good.

I see NBC still has the story. https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna8344700
Old 04-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the link. I sometimes skim through various old-timers' threads on here, just to try to get a sense of their journey over the past ~20 years. That's how I happened upon this thread, and just thought the predicted death number was striking. Sorry for the downer. Don't mean to obsess over COVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I see NBC still has the story. https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna8344700
EDIT: Typo
Old 04-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #6

I was too slow with the link.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Thanks for the link. I sometimes skim through various old-timers' threads on here, just to try to get a sense of their journey over the past ~20 years. That's how I happened upon this thread, and just thought the predicted death number was striking. Sorry for the downer. Don't mean to obsess over COVID.
I didn’t see it as a downer.

A pandemic on that scale really happened.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I didn’t see it as a downer.

A pandemic on that scale really happened.
It happened (is happening). And we hear about it and/or see the effects of it every single day. I'm sure we all want to move past this, and get back to some sense of "normal" soon, and not have to live in the COVID-obsessed "pause" that we seem to be living in. (No political commentary intended, nor requested.) That's what makes it a downer.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

It’s just the way it is. And returning to normal will take as long as it takes. I think trying to rush things is what gets people upset or into trouble.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Not a downer. In 2008 I was in a 3-day FEMA Incident Command System (ICS-300) class with various emergency responders, fire agencies, etc. and was a little surprised to meet a several-person contingent from the state health department. They were training in preparation for dealing with a pandemic. They knew. But no one was listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
... Between WMD, the Flu, traffic accidents, and all the other threats to mankind, I'm surprised any of us make it past 40.
Actually the thing that amazes me is that with all the hazards that "the government of California" has recognized and insists on warning me about, the state's landscape is not littered with dead bodies.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yep, every few years, our health dept. would review our pandemic disaster plan response.
This helped get our county vaccine clinics going fairly quickly once it was available, along with planning safe healthcare access for the community.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the link. It does seem everything wants us dead from insects to rodents with Lyme disease, hantavirus, west niles virus.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Thanks for the link. It does seem everything wants us dead from insects to rodents with Lyme disease, hantavirus, west niles virus.
My own opinion is that systems, both natural and infrastructure, that did well supporting 3 or 4 billion people have become quite brittle under the stresses of supporting almost 8 billion.

Declining birth rates in wealthy and middle-income countries suggest that, at some level, people understand this.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've posted the following once or twice before, but here it is again:

"Maybe I'm just getting old, but over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

I just can't get worked up about this stuff anymore.

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 68 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see"
Old 04-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Despite all the doom and gloom, the world is not runnning out of people, quiet the contrary. Maybe we need a truly gigantic pandemic to put the brakes on.
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

As of a few minutes ago:
Current World Population

view all people on 1 page >
Today
Births today

Deaths today

Population Growth today

This year
Births this year

Deaths this year
Old 04-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 68 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see"
I totally see your point.

As a counterpoint, so says the frog in the pot as the temperature goes up one more degree again.

I puzzle over this a lot - not saying one or the other is "right".
Old 04-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Despite all the doom and gloom, the world is not runnning out of people, quiet the contrary. Maybe we need a truly gigantic pandemic to put the brakes on. ...
Actually, the brakes are already on. As @Out of Steam points out, the general case is that birth rates fall as women become educated and as families become wealthier. Much of the developed world is now below the replacement rate IIRC 2.1 children per family. The interesting part of the projections is that sub-Saharan Africa will continue to have high growth, but possibly not enough to keep world population from falling. This high growth, however, begs the huge question of whether similar employment growth will also occur. From a recent Economist magazine:

Link to the full article here: https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...t-97bn-in-2064 but you may hit a paywall.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

I just can't get worked up about this stuff anymore.

Well I can’t say that’s true for me for the past year and a half. We had an ill parent which then merged with the pandemic and responsibilities after a parent’s passing, all juggled with COVID precautions which made things far more difficult to manage.

It’s been pretty rough. I look forward to getting back to my “normal” life that included a lot of international travel. I’m not impatient though - I figure another 6 months probably.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Well I can’t say that’s true for me for the past year and a half. We had an ill parent which then merged with the pandemic and responsibilities after a parent’s passing, all juggled with COVID precautions which made things far more difficult to manage.

It’s been pretty rough. I look forward to getting back to my “normal” life that included a lot of international travel. I’m not impatient though - I figure another 6 months probably.
Sorry for your loss and struggles. I'm glad you've got a positive mindset.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not just things, but some people also want us dead.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote