Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I used to have a number of offers on my Costco Amex, but about a month ago they went away. I now have two offers; one for my yearly record of charges and the other for my Costco check which I have already cashed. So nothing new at all.

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Interesting. I used to have a number of offers on my Costco Amex, but about a month ago they went away. I now have two offers; one for my yearly record of charges and the other for my Costco check which I have already cashed. So nothing new at all.

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.
Maybe because it will be decommissioned soon?
Old 04-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I can look up annual summary on my card activities: 2015 Total billed $41,980
Total Cash Rebates $825 just shy of 2%
Billed total of course includes the annual fee. Rebates do NOT include the $50 total I got in those miscellaneous additional bonus credits, so adding that in brings it to a tad over 2%. [the NCL rebate was in this year]
AMEX rebate is 1% for most charges, 6% groceries and 3% gas and some select merchants.

Edit to add: gotta confess I never did this analysis before. But until the question was asked, I didn't even know I could get this info from the website.
The reason that I asked is that I have been using a Discover card that is 2% on everything but has a $60 annual fee so I clear about 1.8% after considering the annual fee. However, DS has that Citi Double Cash card that is 2% on everything (1% when charged and 1% when paid) but had no annual fee so that will be slightly better.

If I take 6% on groceries, 3% on gas and 1% on everything else then it would be about 1.75% for us so I think the 2% on everything is better not to mention easier.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

If you just use the one card. I've been using specific cards for specific benefits. I have my regular 2% on everything card, and just use the others when the reward is higher or I need a no foreign transaction fee card.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Something to think about but I'm skeptical that it is worth the bother for ~$170/year.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
More free credit card money. $500
Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More free credit card money. $500

I might play the business credit card games when I use all of my points. My daughter has business, I had a business, I can technically use the EIN from either.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Just paid a single insurance bill that covered the required spend on her Spark card. Soon as we are credited with the points I'll have CapOne send us a check for the points made out to PenFed for a mortgage reduction payment. One of the ways to get full penny/point value for the points.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #28

I just got something in the mail for Costco Visa. It charges 3% for foreign transaction. So I won't be using this card in Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I just closed my fee Marriott Chase card, it comes with a free nights stay, but we have switched to the Hilton brands and have a fee-free Citi Hilton card. I closed the card 8 days ahead of the due date, but the service rep told me it will take one to two statement cycles for the fee to be credited to my account. The yearly fee was the ONLY amount due. She told me to just send them the money and in a few statements they will return it to me. The card came with a nice amount of bonus points when I opened it.

Is this even legal? If you make a charge the hold appears instantly and it's posted within 24 hours. I haven't decided if I will pay it. She first said they would charge interest and when I asked about late fees, she said "it's possible"...it seems so shady, I asked for a higher up and some how my called got dropped...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I just closed my fee Marriott Chase card, it comes with a free nights stay, but we have switched to the Hilton brands and have a fee-free Citi Hilton card. I closed the card 8 days ahead of the due date, but the service rep told me it will take one to two statement cycles for the fee to be credited to my account. The yearly fee was the ONLY amount due. She told me to just send them the money and in a few statements they will return it to me. The card came with a nice amount of bonus points when I opened it.

Is this even legal? If you make a charge the hold appears instantly and it's posted within 24 hours. I haven't decided if I will pay it. She first said they would charge interest and when I asked about late fees, she said "it's possible"...it seems so shady, I asked for a higher up and some how my called got dropped...
I've cancelled other fee cards, in the past, close to the due date. Rep never said I needed to pay; and the credit posted within a couple of days. I highly doubt you will have a problem if you don't pay. To play safe I recommend you just call back and speak with a different rep. Only potential danger is that the credit doesn't post in time, and you get hit with a fee for non-payment; it'll be reversed but hopefully the non-payment doesn't end up on a credit report. If you choose to pay you'll definitely get your money back; if you go this route I'd dispute the charge and in the dispute advise you are paying without prejudice to the dispute.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
BTW - PenFed VISA at 5% on gas, .
PenFed VISA is really not 5% on gas; it's "5 points" on gas, which equates to less than 5% when you cash in.
m
marc515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
PenFed VISA is really not 5% on gas; it's "5 points" on gas, which equates to less than 5% when you cash in.
m
True for some cards, but there really is one that is 5% on gas -- PenFed Cash Rewards Visa Platinum. I've enjoyed it for many years.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
True for some cards, but there really is one that is 5% on gas -- PenFed Cash Rewards Visa Platinum. I've enjoyed it for many years.
I also have it, and it's not "5%", it's "5 Points".

It use to be a true 5%, whereas you would exchange 50,000 points for a $500 VISA Debit card, but you now must use 58,820 points for the same $500 card, making it less than 5%.

m
Old 05-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also have it, and it's not "5%", it's "5 Points".

It use to be a true 5%, whereas you would exchange 50,000 points for a $500 VISA Debit card, but you now must use 58,820 points for the same $500 card, making it less than 5%.

m
I think you are confusing the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa with another card. Like brau, I've had the card for years and it provides a 5% statement credit every month on pay-at-the-pump gas purchases. Not points, $.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think you are confusing the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa with another card. Like brau, I've had the card for years and it provides a 5% statement credit every month on pay-at-the-pump gas purchases. Not points, $.
+1 there is no debit card being issued. You get a credit on your bill. Actual 5%.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey guys, I stand corrected!!

We had the cash back card years ago, but switched to the Platinum Rewards, as It also gives points for 3 points groceries.

That said, I may just go back to the Cash Back card as it is much easier than waiting to have enough points to convert.

Thanks again guys,
m
Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #37

In all fairness, marc515, you were probably busy at the time and didn't pay much attention to it. PenFed was pretty aggressive a few years ago trying to get people to make that switch, and you walked right into it. A lot of people did.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hey guys, I stand corrected!!

We had the cash back card years ago, but switched to the Platinum Rewards, as It also gives points for 3 points groceries.

That said, I may just go back to the Cash Back card as it is much easier than waiting to have enough points to convert.

Thanks again guys,
m
I just read up on the PFCU cash rewards card, and the first year is free, then $25 annually
m
Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #39

I think you're still confused. There is no annual fee. Look at the Plus card.

PENFED PLATINUM CASH REWARDS VISAŽ CARD
Old 05-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think you're still confused. There is no annual fee. Look at the Plus card.

PENFED PLATINUM CASH REWARDS VISAŽ CARD
Yes I am; just one of those days

The 3% card has an annual fee, the 5% has no annual fee.

Thank you!
m