Join Early Retirement Today

Re: More Katrina rescue frustration
Old 09-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Hmmm

C(three) and and I - was lacking as usual - they actually got got better over the years(1974-2004).

But everyone who knew anything about the problem - a cat 4 at the wrong speed, diameter and angle was beyond the scope of resources availible !prior to the event!

People were bluntly told if - if you stay you die or if you live not to expect any help within several weeks.

Interestingly - the reaction was way better than I expected - given my experience with past hurricanes.

Lack of coordination is nothing new.

You get lazy over thirty years - I stubornly maintained the evac drill - in spite of two preconceived recent misses - 1998 George and Ivan.

Just learned - one of my old buddies from the plant - 15 foot pilings - two miles down the road is missing - hope he didn't stay. My 12 foot pilings and his 15 foot were no match for a 25 foot plus storm surge.
Sorry to hear about your buddy. As far as can be determined, everybody I knew in New Orleans got out. Some here at my house are chomping at the bit to get back. They live on the West Bank, and it didn't flood there, so as power gets restored, they want to go back. I tell them they're insane because jobs are leaving, and you can't/shouldn't eat the seafood (which will be eating the dead bodies before you get to eat them), but you know how New Orleanians are. There just isn't any other place for them. OTOH: With that much federal money pouring into the Gulf Coast, somebody's gonna get rich; and in NOLa, you can count on kickbacks, nepotism, Good-ole-boys, etc. etc.

I think you're smart to just move. Now, instruct my in-laws with some wisdom. My mother is in nursing home here, and she's not returning. Alzheimers is a blessing sometimes. She asked me three times what was happening there. Only thing she was worried about was her church. She doesn't even remember how she got here, and she keeps asking me if I'm staying in town long. She has no recollection of living on a mat in a high school gym floor.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep

Got family pictures - forgot my Silver Snoopy from NASA - but hey! - I'm retired.

Found Fort Pike on post Katrina Coast Guard pictures - no land on my side(Ponchartrain) - going back is not an option.

Step daughter in spare room has been looking for a few commercial fisherman buddies - from Lake Catherine, Irish and Salt bayou. She brought 'swimps' up to her son - in August - declined dinner last night -"If I see a shrimp - I'll cry."

Her shrimp and crab license won't do much good in Missouri.

Heh, heh, heh, heh

Will be donating to Red Cross after the initial rush fades from the news and the real gut grinding work starts.

So - if it's Bon Temps Rolliere in New Orleans - what is it in Missouri.

ER is good - dicy sometimes - but good.

"Agile, mobile and hosile" ala Bear Bryant - well maybe not hostile.

Heh, heh, heh, heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yep

Got family pictures -
Her shrimp and crab license won't do much good in Missouri.

Heh, heh, heh, heh

Heh, heh, heh, heh
I never recovered the family photos from my last natural disaster either
(my first marriage).

How about "a la bonne heure"?

JG

MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yep

ER is good - dicy sometimes - but good.

Heh, heh, heh, heh
I admire your agility and mobility without hostility.

Maybe a new saying, appropriate for Missouri? Such as I'm from Missouri you've got to show me. It kind of sounds like It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:02 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I had to evacuate my house in a hurry I would take my family pictures, my dog Birdie, a few clothes, and of course the golf clubs. * Everything else can be replaced.

Unclemick,* Are you planning on renting for a few months to see how you like it there or do you think this will be your final move? Good luck with it all!