Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Interesting. Why don't you pull out the oil dip stick, and do the smell test.

Let us know what you smell.
I did that before the oil change. I couldn’t say there was zero gas smell, but it was definitely better than before the fix.
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I agree with Hadenuff. It never hurts from time to time to have Blackstone Labs test any lubricants on any vehicle, especially if you're burning oil at a faster than normal rate. An analysis is just over $20.

Any state's Lemon Laws are going to require any dealer/manufacturer the opportunity to fix any problematic vehicle. States vary on what is a "lemon", but it's numerous times for the same repair and when they fail to fix the car. FYI: The buyback is essentially the factory's responsibility to fix, and the dealer is not liable financially on the buyback.

If one dealer cannot fix a warranty problem, there's no reason the owner cannot request another dealer attempt the repair. All service departments are not created equal.

Because Honda (and other manufacturers) have had problems with specific engines or transmission problems, don't write them off. They can always reengineer their problems and fix the issues.

Honda is what I call a Tier I automobile manufacturer. They have very good engineers and the financial resources to face a problem. They have a long history of superlative vehicles, and really good dealerships. Don't write off Hondas as fine automobiles yet. Even though one engine has had some problems, not all vehicles sold have engine problems.

(Note: I worked in the auto industry 24 years, but changed industries until ER. My family members previously owned a couple of Honda dealerships but now owns a big city luxury car dealership.)
+1
Old 06-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
I like Hondas but they seem to have their share of design flaws which they eventually correct. The transmission problems in our 2000 Odyssey came after a complete redesign for the 1999 model year. The rear alignment issue on the Civic was an early 8th generation problem. Someone suggested that buying a few years after a redesign might help. I think all the auto manufacturers are reluctant to accept responsibility for problems. Toyota gave people a hard time on the V6 engine sludge problem for years.

From what I read the Honda transmission problem was over many years and many cars including Acura... they did not fix it for a LONG time...

One person I knew had 3 replacements for a total of 4 transmissions...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
From what I read the Honda transmission problem was over many years and many cars including Acura... they did not fix it for a LONG time...

One person I knew had 3 replacements for a total of 4 transmissions...
Again, that was me. 2001 purchased new. On 4th transmission now.
211,000 miles and still running. If you do the research on Honda Odyssey, you will find many issues concerning engines, transmissions, etc. Honda quality
and willingness to "fix" problems very poor.

Honda corp, will issue a TSB fix, which just puts a band aid on the problem.
Or extends the warranty/mileage. Which usually expires right before your
van breaks down.
wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Again, that was me. 2001 purchased new. On 4th transmission now.
211,000 miles and still running. If you do the research on Honda Odyssey, you will find many issues concerning engines, transmissions, etc. Honda quality
and willingness to "fix" problems very poor.

Honda corp, will issue a TSB fix, which just puts a band aid on the problem.
Or extends the warranty/mileage. Which usually expires right before your
van breaks down.

It was actually someone who bought an Acura TL...

I bought a 6 speed manual in 2004 and was on the forum, people with auto said that transmission was the same... seems they had some kind of oil spray on the gears and did not have one where it was needed... once they put one there it was fixed for good.. I never had a problem...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote