Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coffee and chocolate. I'd rather have less often than have it (cheaper) more often.

I agree on tools too. I try to buy the best value on most everything, often not the cheapest - and best value is unique to each person.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

The best quality thing can be tricky. El cheapo socks cost about a dollar a pair and last less than a year. SmartWool socks feel twice as nice, cost $14 a pair and last about two years.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Exercise gear for sports I do a lot. I buy the running shoes that work best for me, and I have a variety for road running, racing, easy trails, rocky trails, and trail racing. My running clothes all have to be moisture-wicking to avoid chafing, and I have a wide variety for all types of weather. Running packs that fit well and don't bounce. This doesn't mean I buy the most expensive stuff, just stuff I think work well for me, and then I search for the best price. It didn't matter so much when I was a 4 mile fair weather runner, but for the amount I run now, it pays off. I also justify it because running is what keeps my weight down and makes me feel better overall, so that's worth the price.

I also ski about 75 times a year, so I have clothes for all kinds of weather, including long underwear, jackets, socks, gloves, etc. I may take more breaks when it is cold, but I won't miss a day just because it is frigid and windy. I also have 2 sets of skis--one for powder/slush/crud, and another for when the snow is firm and well-groomed.

In contrast, I golf a lot too, but I'm not good enough that the best stuff will improve my game and enjoyment, so I skimp some here. I play with average quality clubs, and I usually play with balls I've found, especially since I can usually find really good balls on my course.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

+ 1 RunningBum. I have tried some of the cheaper apparel from Target and find that it does not work as well, so for me the extra money spent on a quality technical shirt or running tights is worth it.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the mayo recipe, Gumby. I just made it and it turned out perfectly. I left out the cayenne pepper, I used lemon juice from a bottle, I used 1/8 tsp of salt, and no pepper. It's fun to watch it transform from oil egg yolks into mayonnaise.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Note the number of cloudy/partly cloudy (PC) days and annual precipitation in all forms. See why I'm always dreaming of traipsing off to FL?
FL? No offense meant to some forum members here, but the humidity would kill me.

I'll stick with the "dry cool" of the high AZ mountain. I do not even have to scare anybody with tales of chiggers, rattlesnakes, and fire ants. Let me just say that a visit to Trader Joe's would be a day trip. Home Depot or Walmart? Call it half a day. Same to get grocery. There's also little private land left, although the Forest Service allows dispersed camping. However, be prepared to drive 20 mi to get water.

Everyone is welcome to the "dry heat" of metropolitan Phoenix, of course.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Shoes. And underwear.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

And bed sheets. Too much time spent between the sheets to save a couple of bucks.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Shoes. And underwear.
Hunh. I've almost always appreciated seeing skimpy shoes & underwear on the right bodies...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Thanks for the mayo recipe, Gumby. I just made it and it turned out perfectly. I left out the cayenne pepper, I used lemon juice from a bottle, I used 1/8 tsp of salt, and no pepper. It's fun to watch it transform from oil egg yolks into mayonnaise.
I'm happy it worked for you. You don't really need the cayenne. We have just found it gives the mayo a certain subtle taste that we enjoy, although if you blind tasted it you would never guess that it was cayenne. The great thing about knowing how to make mayo is that you can experiment to find out precisely how you like it. (Trust me on the no olive oil substitution though. At first glance, it seems like a good idea, but we've never been able to make it work)

Now you just need to rustle up a nice juicy heirloom tomato, some nitrite free bacon and homemade sourdough bread and you're ready for a nice BLT (My mouth is watering already). They are on the dinner menu regularly during August at the Villa Gumbiana (along with local corn).
Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hunh. I've almost always appreciated seeing skimpy shoes & underwear on the right bodies...
And interestingly, the less one skimps on the purchase of shoes and undergarments, the skimpier those items are
Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Then, why not stick with the LBYM theme of this forum and go "au naturel"?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Then, why not stick with the LBYM theme of this forum and go "au naturel"?
Nah, you always need to leave something for the curious to uncover investigate...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

OK. So, Adam and Eve were able to use just fig leaves. Can't even say that they were LBYM'ers, as they really had no means.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #35

Quote:
OK. So, Adam and Eve were able to use just fig leaves. Can't even say that they were LBYM'ers, as they really had no means.
Forumites here could use dryer sheets instead of fig leaves
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Mid 90s without AC?
They must be French ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
More things not to skimp on

Condoms
Vasectomy.make sure it is done right............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #38

Pots, pans, knives. Get the best you can afford; they'll last you a lifetime.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
They must be French ...
Or Seattleites.

Ha
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Forumites here could use dryer sheets instead of fig leaves
I think the mods should have an LBYM award for your innovation .

Oh La La! Semi-transparent dryer sheets too?