Join Early Retirement Today

Re: most expensive watch
Old 03-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Ding ding ding!!!* I didn't immediately notice when I started working at my new gig, but everyone who works there wears some flavor of Breitling.* I'm pretty sure the boss' is a 10 to 15 k watch.* Good thing my daily watch is also a Breitling.* I don't think the Rado (gift) would go over too well with this crowd, since it is relatively slim and not a big macho hunk of metal to wear on one's wrist.
If you didn't have a Breitling, would you actually go out and buy one to fit in with your co-workers? Would you consider a knock-off (of a status watch -- not a Breitling, since your co-workers could probably tell the difference)?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:35 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
If you didn't have a Breitling, would you actually go out and buy one to fit in with your co-workers?* Would you consider a knock-off (of a status watch -- not a Breitling, since your co-workers could probably tell the difference)?
Dunno. I guess I haven't really thought about it. Probably I would not, since I really could care less about status goods.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #23

Never bought a watch. I found one on the ground 10 years ago. I ripped what was left of the band off and now I keep it in my pocket. I don't like things hanging on my wrist. On occasion when I have a borrowed cellphone with me, I will leave the watch at home since the cell phone has a clock on it.

I received a Folex (fake rolex) a few years ago. Looks pretty convincing. I took it to a jewelry shop and they weren't sure if it was fake or not, but they asked me if it was real (since I don't look/dress the Rolex way). I've worn this numerous times to job interviews/weddings/funerals. Not sure how anyone could tell the difference from a casual glance. Not that I care anyway.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Not sure how anyone could tell the difference from a casual glance.*
Generally speaking:

- the fakes are a LOT lighter
- the fakes have bands that are poor quality

- George Orwell

Old 03-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Generally speaking:

- the fakes are a LOT lighter
- the fakes have bands that are poor quality
But could someone spot a fake just by casual inspection of my watch while I'm wearing it? Without being 6 inches from the watch?

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
But could someone spot a fake just by casual inspection of my watch while I'm wearing it?* Without being 6 inches from the watch?

Depends on how good a fake it is and how much they care/know about watches. Personally I think Rolexes are not that well made and kind of ugly, but vive la difference.

- George Orwell

Old 03-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #27

I think on the fake one's the second hand ticks each second away. On the real one's the second hand moves smoothly.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:31 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am one of the big spenders...

I paid a bit over $100 on a nice Swiss Military when I was over there... I wear it all the time now... but I do have two nice $250 watches I bought for $25 each on a going out of business sale many years ago... but they run through batteries quickly and the one is all gold with small hands that I can not see as well....

I would like to get one of those that glow at night so I can see it in the dark..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
I would like to get one of those that glow at night so I can see it in the dark..
My apology, I'm arriving a little late to this conversation. Are we still talking about watches? :