Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
For the folks that point to the birth of a son or daughter...wasn't the important event about 9 months earlier?
... in the back seat of a Chevy dot dot dot
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

June 21, 1979. I met my husband on that day and married him two 1/2 weeks later on July 11, 1979. I was 19 he was 21. We are working on 36 years. This best day runs hand and hand as being the best day of my life along with the birth of our two children. Still in love and looking forward to another best day on Feb. 3, 2015 when he retires! Life is pretty good.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
For me, it would be the first day of a vacation to Montana and Yellowstone in the summer of 1992.

My family was never the outdoor type, so after I'd moved out on my own, that summer I decided I wanted to visit a national park. I picked Yellowstone and few in to Billings, Montana. After I picked up my rental car and started driving towards the mountains, I knew immediately why they call it Big Sky Country.

It was like the entire world opened up to me. The wide open spaces, the Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone...

I still consider that trip to be the single most important life-changing event in my life. It caused me to move sight unseen to Colorado later that year, and I still feel drawn more to Colorado and the Rockies than anywhere else I've ever lived.
I can vouch for the Colorado mountains being a great place to retire. You don't even need to become a hermit to enjoy it!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
For me, it was the day I finally had the courage to first tell someone that I'm gay. All of these many years later, it's hard to believe how difficult it was at the time.
+1.
Only it was the day I realized it. That day to me was a gift from God.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Just over 15 years ago on Dec. 8, DW took me to the emergency room after 24 hours of not feeling well with what I thought was the flu at first. Fever and couldn't keep food down, no appetite. I was on the table in the OR within a few hours to have a gangrenous appendix removed along with 4 quarts of fluid that had leaked into my abdomen. Spent 5 days in the hospital recovering, IV antibiotics, etc., before I could keep anything down. Doc estimated I had 12 hours left and said I should have gone in sooner. But I really didn't understand it was that serious, thought it was just a bug.

Not sure whether to pick the 8th when I went in, or the 12th when I checked out of the hospital, but I'm happy to have been around the last 15 years, it has changed my outlook and priorities in life!
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #66

One of the most important days in my life was in March 2009, I bought a ton of Dow Chemical stock for about $7/share!
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, I'm going in a very different direction, here. I would argue that the one event that I can peg most of my life history to is a day in a General Music class in 9th grade. (Back in the day when public schools offered General Music classes.)

On this day, Mr. Chamberlain played the Bach "Little" G minor fugue. Until then I hadn't really had any interest in music and certainly no interest in (or even awareness of) "classical" music. After that day, I started checking classical LPs out of the school and public libraries and soon decided that whatever direction my life was headed it had to include classical music. This clearly meant that I would have to leave my hometown.

So, when I went away to university, even though I was a Physics major, I took Music History classes and attended classical music concerts. I met my future DW and was able to converse with her, because she, too, enjoyed classical music. Our dates centered around opera and concerts. She encouraged me to join the university chorus with her. We bought our first harpsichord just after graduating college with what was very nearly our last $300. I taught myself to play the recorder, the baroque flute, and the harpsichord.

So, for nearly every day of the last 40+ years of my life, classical music has been a part of it. Performing it, listening to it, reading about it. I can't imagine how my life would have been without this at the center of it.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #68

No kids for me, but significant days would be:
1) 8/14/93, day I got married
2) 6/xx/87, day I graduated college
3) 9/9/10, day my Mom died
4) 3/19/12, day my Dad died
5) xx/xx/15?, day I retire!

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
OK, I'm going in a very different direction, here. I would argue that the one event that I can peg most of my life history to is a day in a General Music class in 9th grade. (Back in the day when public schools offered General Music classes.)

On this day, Mr. Chamberlain played the Bach "Little" G minor fugue. Until then I hadn't really had any interest in music and certainly no interest in (or even awareness of) "classical" music. After that day, I started checking classical LPs out of the school and public libraries and soon decided that whatever direction my life was headed it had to include classical music. This clearly meant that I would have to leave my hometown.

So, when I went away to university, even though I was a Physics major, I took Music History classes and attended classical music concerts. I met my future DW and was able to converse with her, because she, too, enjoyed classical music. Our dates centered around opera and concerts. She encouraged me to join the university chorus with her. We bought our first harpsichord just after graduating college with what was very nearly our last $300. I taught myself to play the recorder, the baroque flute, and the harpsichord.

So, for nearly every day of the last 40+ years of my life, classical music has been a part of it. Performing it, listening to it, reading about it. I can't imagine how my life would have been without this at the center of it.
Nice story, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #70

The most Important day is a moving target: It is today. If I wake up tomorrow, it is tomorrow. etc.

[With apologies to everything else wonderful that has happened in my life.]

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

It was near the end of February, 1972, and I was on the island of Okinawa getting additional training after AIT before I shipped out to Vietnam. The sergeant called us out of the barracks and into formation, and the company commander told us: "The Commander-in-Chief, Richard M. Nixon, has officially decided to pull the troops out of Vietnam so all of you are being re-routed to South Korea for the rest of your enlistment period."

As a "lottery winner" draftee, who was dragged into the Army kicking and screaming, it was the happiest day of my life! And Nixon became my hero forever!
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote