Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

First date with someone, from an internet dating website:

"I know I said I was single, but actually you might say we are separated. I haven't been home with my wife and kids for a week, so I'm really single. My wife doesn't understand me."

Yeah, right? bye bye.... I think that date lasted about 30 seconds.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have one! I met a guy on the bus when I was 18 and we talked for about 40 minutes. At the end of the ride, I gave him my number. Then he called that night.

Me: "So do you want to go to a dinner or movie?"
Him: "Um. I'm on parole and can't leave the house after 5. Really, it was no big deal. They just found me with a gun without a permit."

Never saw him again.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #23

Another dating story: Recently I tried to set up 2 friends. I told the guy first. He thought it was too much pressure to go on a blind date, and we should all just go to happy hour. I thought it was a good idea. I just invited my girlfriend without telling her it was meant to be a date.

It turned out he was not attracted to her at all. Good thing I didn't tell her! Later that week, I saw her and we were chatting. I asked her what she thought of him. She said, "Is he that gay guy that you always talk about? Yeah, I can tell right away that he was gay."

I guess that was pretty much the definition of an unsuccessful set up!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a very LBYM concept If Love = Sex, as it does in popular songs, and if one is cynical enough to consider sex a commodity, instead of a gift.

In that context, I have heard 2 commodity-oriented sayings:

Man: Why buy the cow, just to get some milk?
Woman: Why buy the pig, just to get some sausage?

None of which has anything to do with physical and emotional feelings and intellectual respect for one another, that grow over time and end up taking over your whole life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Have you ever heard of free love?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Sounds like a very LBYM concept If Love = Sex, as it does in popular songs, and if one is cynical enough to consider sex a commodity, instead of a gift.

In that context, I have heard 2 commodity-oriented sayings:

Man: Why buy the cow, just to get some milk?
Woman: Why buy the pig, just to get some sausage?

None of which has anything to do with physical and emotional feelings and intellectual respect for one another, that grow over time and end up taking over your whole life.
Well, the rest of the story - I was about 16 years old, and this really cool guy took me on a date. We were riding in the mountains, and he said: "Have you ever heard of free love?" I said, "What's that?"
He took me home
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #26
Administrator

"Your friend is cute. Can you give him my number?"

And I did. No sense fighting a battle you're sure to lose, and he was my friend.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

"No, no, stop, I can't! You need date my younger sister."

She was right.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

"So how do you feel about kids?"

First time I ever encountered a guy who had baby rabies.
Anima Mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"No, no, stop, I can't! You need date my younger sister."]

She was right.
but much better than:

"No, no, stop, I can't! You need to date my mom."
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine is the most unbelievable thing a non-date ever said. This happened years ago. I was out and about and met a guy. Wasn't particularly interested, but he nagged me into agreeing to go out on a date with him. I showed up at the pre-arranged time & place but he never did. The "most unbelievable" part of the story is, he saw me by coincidence a few days later and asked me out again. Can you believe it?!?!? This guy has become my personal definition of "unmitigated gall".
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Kyounge, it sounds like he was attracted to you, but had serious short-term memory problems!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Mine is the most unbelievable thing a non-date ever said. This happened years ago. I was out and about and met a guy. Wasn't particularly interested, but he nagged me into agreeing to go out on a date with him. I showed up at the pre-arranged time & place but he never did. The "most unbelievable" part of the story is, he saw me by coincidence a few days later and asked me out again. Can you believe it?!?!? This guy has become my personal definition of "unmitigated gall".
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #32

Amythest, there is an unwritten rule, mostly written by men, that sex is expected after three dates. I learned this from men in my divorce recovery group. Most of the women in the group curled their lip at that news.

Not sure this dating experience is "unbelieveable" but it sure took me aback. Met this man on Match.com and we had a meet up. He began telling me about how a lot of the women he meets from Match.com have misleading pictures that show them much younger and much slimmer than they turn out to be. Then, as if I didn't get his point yet, he told me that the restaurant had a fat free, sugar free chai. (I was enjoying the regular, sugar and fat laden one).

And, FYI, my pictures were quite recent and not misleading at all, in my view. But of course I picked the most flattering ones, as does everyone.

Another Match.com "date" immediately told me that several years ago his daughter had committed suicide. What a fun date that was! Maybe that was his way of chasing me away. Anyway, it worked! I could go on with more. . . Dating, UGH, done with that.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Amythest, there is an unwritten rule, mostly written by men, that sex is expected after three dates. I learned this from men in my divorce recovery group.
Thank goodness Frank never heard about that one! After meeting him though an online dating website, I was nervous about giving him my address and phone number. More nervous than with other people, because he was so intelligent and smooth as silk, not the average, run of the mill guy. I honestly didn't know what to make of him and he scared me. Anyway we met for coffee and dinner six times before I would tell him where I lived or give him my full name, much less have sex. Luckily he did not give up.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Kyounge, it sounds like he was attracted to you, but had serious short-term memory problems!

Amethyst
That would have been extremely early onset! I don't think either of us had seen forty springs yet. My own opinion is, the guy thought he was so irresistible that not only could no woman in her right mind resist the chance of dating him, we were pining away for the privilege of being stiffed!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #35
Administrator

I don't have any stories on this, but if any of the girls I dated were on this forum they could well be posting about me. (I say 'girls' as I haven't been on a date since just after my 19th birthday when my DW2B said "I thought you'd never ask!" when I asked her out on a date).
Strangest Thing I have Said On A Date
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #36

Strangest Thing I have Said On A Date

This is from an ancient post where I was pondering taking a buyout and retiring ( http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...yes-24619.html ) if you want the whole thread, but this is the relevant excerpt:

Oh hell, what do I do now? I had this experience what seems like a lifetime ago at a London penthouse party. I was invited by British friend and this was a party out of my class/comfort zone (I was working for the US Navy in London). These were the really rich (my friend was a financial advisor to the Rothchild family) & the beautiful, a party like you see in movies. There was one stunningly beautiful gal wearing a plunging, black velvet long dress, looked right out of the Black Velvet liquor ads if anyone recalls those ads. I talked to her a little and was smitten. I had to leave the party with my friend who had invited me, I didn't get to talk to Sandra much. A day or two later I asked my friend about how I could contact or find out more about Sandra.and he asked if I were "serious" (I have no idea what the Brits mean by that term in that context. ) Anyway a week or two later he passes me her phone number. I was more than pleasantly surprised. So I called her, perfectly well prepared to be declined, scorned or worse. And then I asked her out and she said----yes. Then it hit me, holy s&%t, now what do I do?

The rest of the story:

OK, since some have asked I will finish reporting about my time with Sandra. It is probably not what you expect and maybe a bit mystical. I still remember the first dinner with Sandra, where we went and what we said. In that first date exchange she asked basically what I want in life. I remember my answer very clearly because it was a surprise to watch the words come out of my mouth. I said that I want a sense of peace. She asked what I meant, I said well someone could come in her with a 45 and rob me and maybe shoot me but I would not be unnerved or overwhelmed. As I said that I couldn’t believe what I was saying as I had never said things like that on a date or pretty much to anyone, it was like watching myself speak in a foreign language I didn’t recognize. But she must have liked what I said as we had a good time and went on many more dates over the next several months. She was an internally driven person, doing *exactly* what she wanted to. She was managing a (horse) riding academy which was pretty classy and was quitting to become a stewardess (or in flight attendant?) much lower on the social & financial scale, and she hung out with me when she had the Rolls Royce set if she wanted. I still remember how attractive she was, one time we went to a fancy dress (costume) party and she dressed as a mouse which was tights and a Playboy bunny type sort of black velvet swim suit type thing. Guys were bumping into things watching her. Now there was one frustrating thing about hanging out with someone more attractive than Catherine Zeta Jones (wrong type-Sandra was a blonde, but with that impact) who genuinely delighted in each others presence except----- for not having sex. After a while I thought well, I really think she likes me so I will just not see her for a while until she ‘comes around’. And she left for her flying job, she was multilingual but couldn’t wait for Air France so went with Air Lingus (sp?) as they were hiring immediately. I soon found a very nice girl who was pretty good in the missing department. I didn’t pine over Sandra, we never really had a commitment, but I thought of her frequently enough, sometimes thinking myself a dolt for stopping seeing her.

About a year later my friend Peter asked me if I had heard about Sandra. I said no. She had died of stomach cancer. It all just sort of fit better. She had been given a year to live when she met me and was living the way she wanted. You can have your own psychological/spiritual explanation but I am convinced that she heard from me what she needed to hear and whatever it is I said I felt more like a spectator that the speaker but that was fine with me then and is still OK by me now.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Good for you Yakers. It sounds like she was a brave person facing an absolute disaster. It might have been better for everyone if she could have opened up more, but you took her as she was and I am sure that she died grateful for having had you in her life.

Ha
Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #38

It's going to be tough following Yakers' story, but, I'll try. This happened to a friend of mine who was on a blind date. Turns out the woman weighed about 300 pounds, but was friendly enough. Halfway through the restaurant dinner she asks my friend if he would mind if she made herself more comfortable. He says, "Not at all, go ahead, make yourself more comfortable." She then proceeds to take out her false teeth and puts them in her glass of water. They eat the rest of the meal with my friend staring at her teeth in the glass. He says he couldn't stop looking at them. Up to then, he was always a breast guy. Who knew?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

These stories remind me how happy I am to not have to deal with dating BS any more....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Not unbelievable but boring, boring, boring:

"What's your sign of the zodiac"? Remember, this was early 60s.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote