Join Early Retirement Today

mother passed - bank question
Old 12-22-2022, 04:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

mother passed - bank question

Bank question

I am POA and executor of estate. I am also on my mother's bank account as a co-account holder (I think that is accurate).
My mom died 10 days ago and I would like to clear out her lock box (I have the key). My concern is that I don't want to advise the bank she has passed away if it in any way locks me out of the lock box or her account. We live in Tennessee. I don't think it would, but wanted to know before I schedule a visit to her lock box.

Because of the holidays, we won't be able to begin the estate application process until after Jan 1 FWIW. So I am a ways from having an estate account to move the money to.

Any advice is appreciated.
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2022, 05:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So sorry for the loss of your mother.

Some banks will lock all access to your mother's assets once her death is reported to the bank.

Even if you don't tell the bank yourself, the bank will get informed of her death by the Social Security Administration. Deaths are public records, and the SSA will send a report to all financial institutions of deaths. Don't know how often this report is sent.

I learned this the hard way last year, when the SSA erroneously reported that I had died and it took about five months to fully restore myself to life.

I'd recommend emptying the safe deposit box at the bank immediately, if not sooner. It will likely be a hassle to access the box later, but no big deal if it is empty.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:40 AM   #3
Administrator

Condolences on your loss, bobbyr.

If you are a joint owner of the account you still should have access. It would be a good idea to confirm if it is a joint account. Does the statement or registration detail show you both as joint holders?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:02 AM   #4

You should notify the bank and work within their process. If you are a co-holder of the account, that should be enough for you to continue to have access to it.

The lockbox could be subject to state laws. Her in Pennsylvania, the lockbox is to be off limits until the bank can inventory its contents. This can be done with a representative from the family being present. Here in PA we have an inheritance tax, so the state wants to ensure that there isn't any taxable contents in the box. Lewis Clark is correct that the Social Security Admin will be notifying financial institutions of your mother's passing at some time in the near future. You might as well notify them also.

Is the lock box in both your names or just hers? In PA, I have to show my ID every time I want in my box. Someone else with a key would not be granted access. But perhaps it is done differently in TN.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:22 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why say anything if you are a joint holder and have access?
Old 12-22-2022, 06:37 AM   #6

You need to be on the safe deposit box access/signature list to access it. Possession of the key does not grant access. If you're authorized, it's shared and not "just hers" and you can access it without having to tell the bank why and empty it. If you're not authorized you'll have the long process of probate to get at it... which gets more complicated if the will to be probated is in the box.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:47 AM   #7

The laws may have become less strict since my DM was ill.

My father and I went down to clear out her box while she was in the hospital. We were both crying, and the staff asked if she had passed before they gave us the key. We said no, she was ill, and they said "ok" and handed us the key. Years back, they used to be strict about wanting an inventory and having a bank employee present if someone had passed.

I gave son instructions, if I'm on life support, go down and empty the boxes before taking me off.

I wouldn't advise you to make an announcement that your DM is still alive - but if no one asks ...

The laws for this may vary by State.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would believe if you were on the accounts and have documentation of POA you should be able to access box and accounts.
I also would be up front with them and tell them that your mother has passed away. Those accounts and box holding are of importance to you POA so I would need to take care of that business.

I didn't have any problem with the same scenario as you when my mother passed away.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
You need to be on the safe deposit box access/signature list to access it. Possession of the key does not grant access. If you're authorized, it's shared and not "just hers" and you can access it without having to tell the bank why and empty it. If you're not authorized you'll have the long process of probate to get at it... which gets more complicated if the will to be probated is in the box.
This is too general of a statement unless you are specifically referring to laws you know to exist in TN (the OP's state). Laws vary by state, as I said above.

I just looked at the PA rules. A joint bank account (where one of the owners is not the spouse) is subject to inheritance taxes on 50% of the balance at death. But the account is not locked down.

A lock box is locked down even if jointly owned (again, if the other owner isn't a spouse) until the bank does an inventory. The box may be opened (in the presence of a bank official) to remove a will or cemetery deed. There are state forms that must be filled out to track all of this.

However, the rules in Tennessee may be less restrictive and allow full access.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I would believe if you were on the accounts and have documentation of POA you should be able to access box and accounts.
I also would be up front with them and tell them that your mother has passed away. Those accounts and box holding are of importance to you POA so I would need to take care of that business.

I didn't have any problem with the same scenario as you when my mother passed away.
Power of Attorney ends upon death.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:07 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
True!!! I must have been lucky with the ending process. I did have death certificates and such when dealing with getting access. I was also on the accounts of all financial accounts she had. Didn't amount to very much.

Come to thinking about that being so many years ago. I believe my name was on the ownership to open that safe deposit box. I do know it happened after her death but didn't have any issues.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:18 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am on that list, because we checked it last year (looking for car titles). My mother was pretty much home bound. So that makes me think we are good.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:19 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Yep, Tennessee law on my question says you have to have will with proof of executorship. *which i have
Old 12-22-2022, 08:25 AM   #14

I'm sorry for your loss, bobbyr. A lot of good points about state laws, banks getting death notices from SSA, and whether the box itself is jointly held or only in your mother's name or both of yours. But I will say that, as sole named heir and survivor (no other children, no spouse), I logged onto some of my dad's accounts and made some small transfers and account changes to make things easier for myself, since I knew the rest was all passing TOD/POD to me anyway, and while I probably technically could have gotten into trouble for it, I decided to risk it. (He had given me access when he was alive, and he would have wanted me to do those things, he could have told me when he was alive to do that after he passed, it was exactly the kind of thing he would have done.)
Old 12-22-2022, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
My bank is like this too. DH and I wanted my niece to have access to our safe deposit box. We had to take her in to the bank and fill out a bunch of paperwork to get her on the access list. Would not have mattered if her name was on our other accounts.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I was able to get the contents today - no issues (I was mostly concerned about being asked how my mother was doing - I am not a good liar).

Thanks to all for condolences and great feedback.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #17

When DW's mother passed, one of the first steps DW took was to go to the safe deposit box and clear it out. She was on the signature card, not as a joint owner. In it were the Will and Trust papers, along with the contract for her prepaid Funeral Services.

FWII, even if the bank knows about the death, one can get access to the box to find a will. That is done in the presence of a bank person. I'm not sure if you can remove it or just make a copy of it.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

As things went downhill with DF I emptied his safe deposit box which I had access to. Took the original will to his attorney for safekeeping, and carried the remainder of the contents with me. I had already checked on the rights of survivorship for his checking account which had DB and myself on the account. There was no change then on the checking until we retitled it much later.

Later used the same bank to set up a separate estate account and turned in the safe deposit box keys.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:37 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I emptied my fathers safe deposit box shortly after he passed away. I did it BEFORE I notified the bank or provided them with a death certificate.

I was on on list of those with access to the box.

Once I gave the bank the death certificate access to the bank safe deposit box was denied. I had to provide the probate docs, the will. THe bank wanted both my sister and me to be present when the box was opened.

Naturally there was nothing of importance in the box because I had previously retrieved what I needed.

We, my sister, also emptied his savings accounts before we presented the death certificate. Joint account.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My condolences to you on the death of your Mom.