Join Early Retirement Today

Mother's Day
Old 05-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mother's Day

Ok, I will kick it off for this year. Last night my son cooked me a wonderful steak on the grill and made all the trimmings to go with it. He painted a pop art style portrait of our current dog, which is an English Bulldog. This morning my daughter made french toast with a fresh berry compote, bacon and mimosa's along with a great card and a wonderful new houseplant. Life is good. I will keep my kids around!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Mother's Day
Old 05-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

My daughter made me the funniest video on you tube It was me singing then her dancing then a picture of us together . It said "Even though we don't have talent at least we have looks and brains " . She lights up my life .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I don't celebrate Mother's Day, or birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc. Though my parents do, and were it not for the fact that I am traveling on business for Mother's Day, I'd have probably had brunch with them.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
My wife and I don't celebrate Mother's Day, or birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc.
Oh you funsters!

Ha
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
My wife and I don't celebrate Mother's Day, or birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc. Though my parents do, and were it not for the fact that I am traveling on business for Mother's Day, I'd have probably had brunch with them.
My dad is the same way and my mom goes along. I left them a message saying that I coincidentally called on Mother's day but it was just a coincidence.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #6

congrats connie! what thoughtful kids!

I thank g*d for preschool my daughter made a nice card w/ a huge closeup pic of her attached and it was her first card w/ her new fangled cursive saying I heart u! so cute. I had a meeting that day so came home very late and she stayed up to give it to me on friday!

SO is terrible with holidays - that's why every once in a while i get a big gift (usually sparkly) and that works for a good while - so he's good for at least a couple of years with the last one. But anyway, i get home yesterday and he said he got me a present - what is it? a betty boop coffee mug with bingo balls all around it ? i was slightly confused. but thought maybe he was making a joke about all the bingo nites we have to work for jr.'s basketball team ...he said, oh, i thought you said once that you liked it - i said oh - i said my dad thinks i look like her cuz she has a big head! ha thanks...good thing i like coffee mugs!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I painted the master bathroom while my wife was sleeping in (by the way, toddlers are not particularly helpful in the painting process, although they are quite interested in it), then took her and gabe for a morning walk to the park to read the paper and have coffee.

After we got back, we dropped Gabe in for a nap, then I took my wife and our newly refreshed and somewhat poorly behaved child to a little place that serves afternoon tea with the tiny little sandwiches and other treats, where my wife enjoyed this plus a glass of champagne while I chased Gabe up and down the sidewalk in distraction.

Later on after a few more glasses of champagne while relaxing on the back patio, I installed a ceiling fan, cleaned the house, and served some dinner.

Momma considered this a highly rated day.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
toddlers are not particularly helpful in the painting process, although they are quite interested in it.
That's strange-- our kid has always been way better at painting than me. Maybe you're not evaluating the process by the right metrics. In terms of pigment volume covering total wall/floor/ceiling/clothing/skin/tastebud area, which of you was more productive?

No doubt it'll get better when he's older. I keep getting tricked by the kid/parent (and Mars/Venus) interpretation of the English language. When she says "Can you take me to Office Depot to buy a display board for my science project?" I pick up the mistaken impression that we're going to, oh, say, enter Office Depot and buy a display board. (You veteran parents are laughing your assets off right now, aren't you?) 30 minutes later we haven't even actually set foot in Office Depot, but at least she's old enough to do her own shoe-shopping in Sports Authority while I'm finishing off the supplies list at Lowe's.

Now she understands who to ask for those shopping trips. She'll check back with me when she's ready to learn how to unclog a toilet...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Nords,
The joy of girl children .I once went shopping with my dear daughter when she was your daughter's age .I placed her in the dressing room while I ran back and forth with various clothes .At one point she didn't come out of the dresing room for awhile so I went to check on her .She was sitting on the floor crying that she looked fat in some of the clothes .How I came through her teenage years mentally intact I'll never know.Maybe The Gallo's helped ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
which of you was more productive?
If productivity is measured by plunging both hands into the can of paint up to the elbows, rubbing the paint on the cabinets, and then trying to pour the paint into the toilet...he was way more productive than I was.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
and then trying to pour the paint into the toilet...he was way more productive than I was.
Easy cleanup too!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #12

this was my first mother's day without mom. i went to a diner by myself, ordered two eggs over medium, hash browns well done, dry wheat toast and a cup of coffee. i wolfed it down in under 5 minutes, tipped 4 bucks on a 7 dollar bill to the waitress working on mother's day, paid the cashier and hightailed it back to the hotel to soak deep sorrows in a tall stoly madres.

life was better with mom.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I called my mom to wish her a happy mom's day. She spent the day visit both her mom & my dad's moms' graves (this is our first M-Day without them), but she seemed to be ok with that. She was happy that my dad took her out to a really nice dinner.

The next time she's in nyc, I'm going to give her a gift (the book "I feel bad about my neck" by Nora Ephron ), which I think she'll get a kick out of, AND take her out to eat. She loves it when I take her out to fancy-shmancy unique places. I'm thinking maybe Hearth in the east village.

We're both saving up for per se...
Celany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Made brunch for DW and MIL, Egg, cheese and sausage caserole (it's good, really), fruit, yogurt, muffins, bagels, coffee, OJ, that type of thing, and took care of Tori so they could relax and chat. Quiet day. I feel bad my mom and step-mom got cards and phone calls... proximity is everything.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #15

My children made me lunch: Baked Potato Soup, Garlic Bread and Angel Food Cake for dessert. Then DH, DD, DS and myself went for a long walk on the Rails to Trails. Afterward, my DD invited me to go with her to her future in-laws house and we all ended up walking to Dairy Queen (for my second dessert)! It was a great Mother's Day, since I spent so much time with my family, I love to walk and I definitely love dessert!

DH and I went to his mother's place in OH on Saturday. I checked her cupboards and refrigerator and we went grocery shopping for her. She wanted a steak dinner, so I made her one. We wanted to take her out to a restaurant of her choice, but she is in a wheelchair and did not want to go. (She has not been practicing her walking, as she is supposed to do.) We then played cards with her, which she loves to do and then she wanted Dairy Queen. I know, I know, I had Dairy Queen two days in a row! Life is good!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #16

My DH took me out to breakfast; then we visited our daughter who's suffering from a pretty bad bronchial infection. She felt doubly bad that she couldn't join us for breakfast on Mother's Day.

Afterwards, we visited my mom's grave then drove some 50 miles to tend to the graves of DH's mom, only sister, two grandmothers and two aunts.

Sure glad I spent a lot of time with my mom while she was alive...wish she were here!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote