Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Motorcyclists, be careful out there
Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Motorcyclists, be careful out there

I received some sad news this weekend. A married couple I've been friends with since high school were out for an evening ride when a deer ran onto the highway. The collision killed the husband and his wife is in critical condition. Both in their early 50s. Two of the genuinely nicest people I've ever known. They've biked all over the country for decades, and then this happens 10 miles from home. I guess I just felt the need to post this in the hope that others who love to ride will be extra vigilant when riding on rural roads.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #2

A guy at work also hit a deer on a Honda Goldwing. It tore up the bike and left him lying in a field for four hours until somebody found him. He was fortunate and made a full recovery.

One of the issues that makes me pause before buying a motorcycle.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Its the other drivers on the road that make me pause.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #4

I’ve never been in a collision with a deer but that isn’t my fault. I have had some close calls and I think it’s a little like Russian roulette. I avoid riding in the evening and at night. I try to be extra alert in deer territory.

Just like any activity in life there are risks that must be accepted in order to enjoy the rewards.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Perhaps the statistics have changed, but I believe most accidents happen within 25 miles of your home.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

So sorry for your loss !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Perhaps the statistics have changed, but I believe most accidents happen within 25 miles of your home.
That's why I moved!

I know two people that have died within about the last year riding a cycle. The first one - there was a boat on a trailer, in front of him. There was a towable tube in the boat (usually pulled behind the boat in the water) fly off the boat and hit him. They were on a bridge/causeway. He slid into the guardrail. This was at night. Used to deer hunt with the guy.

The other was drunk, and going too fast. He was a distant relative.

-CC
Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Most driving is done within 25 miles of one's home.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Most driving is done within 25 miles of one's home.
Thanks for pointing that out RunningBum.

Just saying that you are more likely to get in a major accident when driving familiar roads as you may not be paying enough attention.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, that's just one of those "amazing statistics" that always bothers me when people quote it.

You're more likely to get in an accident close to home because nearly all of your driving is close to home if you are the typical driver.

Hankster, sorry to hear about your friends. My brother had a bad motorcycle accident in his teens. I wasn't allowed to have one, and still don't have much of a desire to.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #11

Sorry to hear about your friends.

I ride in deer country and at night. I find looking up a little higher then you normally would and watching for the light reflection from their eyes on the sides of the road helps alot. When I spot one I slow wayyyyy down until I pass as the direction they will flee is so unpredictable.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I received some sad news this weekend. A married couple I've been friends with since high school were out for an evening ride when a deer ran onto the highway. The collision killed the husband and his wife is in critical condition. Both in their early 50s. Two of the genuinely nicest people I've ever known. They've biked all over the country for decades, and then this happens 10 miles from home. I guess I just felt the need to post this in the hope that others who love to ride will be extra vigilant when riding on rural roads.
A local event:

The story behind it:

Quote:
Denied:1up! Software

Riding his cycle, Rusty was on his way home the morning of July 21, 1991 when a deer jumped out from the brush. There were no survivors.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #13

I've had several (6 or 7) friends and acquaintances killed in motorcycle accidents over the last 10-15 years. None involving deer, but 2 involving beer, and most of the rest involving other motorists who weren't paying attention to their driving.....blowing through stop signs, passing on curves, turning out in front of the cyclist, etc. There was only one that I remember to be a single vehicle accident.....the guy hit a freak slick/oily patch on an otherwise clean and drythe interstate, and crashed his bike killing his DW.

I'd kinda like to have a bike......but every time I give it serious consideration, I decide it's too risky riding around here with all the other idiots on the road these days.
---------------------------------------------
My condolences on the loss of your friends, Hankster.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote