Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
You could be missing a bet - this is pretty remarkably realistic.
dh2b showed me the trailer last night and it actually looked pretty good. So we will catch it at a matinee while he is off all this week.

I mistakenly thought "Avatar" was another one of those 100% CG deals. The last one he took me to was pretty dark ("9") so I was reluctant to see yet another depressing movie.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saw this late last night, don't go too often to the movies because of Netflix but, trust me, its worth seeing this one on the big screen and in 3D. Really enjoyed the movie, it is a technical breakthrough. You see all these criters and alien environments and don't for a minute think they aren't real.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

OK! Y'all have convinced me to in turn try to convince my wife that we want to make a trip to the local theater.

One time we went to see an "action" movie, I lost interest and fell asleep. My wife said that my snoring was embarrassing. Of course, I do not remember what that movie was.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

SPOILER ALERT!!

but if you've already seen the movie.......

The Top 10 Nagging Avatar Questions of the Decade | Movieline

my modest addition: What's with the giant sized Rambo knife used with the mechano-suit?
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #25

NWB, I highly recomend seeing it in 3D if you have the choice.
The 3D affects are amazing, not so much in their 'in your face knife hurtling out of the screen' effects as in the everyday normal scenes.
The CGI is also astounding, the only reason it isn't my #1 favorite technical aspec is the new 3D technology.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw "Avatar" in 3-D IMAX a week ago and liked it so much that I'm taking my holidays-visiting daughter to see it again. Yes, the story is weak, the dialogue predictable, and the moralizing a bit heavy handed, but it is a technological work of genius. Totally amazing, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to simply enjoy what can now be achieved. This film may well be the technological benchmark of much of what it is to come over the course of the next decade or more.
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #27

We knew going in the story line is predictible - but one I like...

Saw it last night in IMAX - impressed
Old 12-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Saw it in regular 3D (IMAX was sold out). Eventhough, I knew within 10 minutes the ending, the story was well told. The special effects were extraordinary, and the cinematography was absolutely gorgeous.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #29

Saw it in Imax. The 3D was okay, but didn't blow me away as the next coming. Visuals were very nicely done. Story was boring, predictable, biased, and full of characters who were cartoon-like stereotypes.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Saw it in Imax. The 3D was okay, but didn't blow me away as the next coming. Visuals were very nicely done. Story was boring, predictable, biased, and full of characters who were cartoon-like stereotypes.
It HAD to be better than "Sherlock Holmes", which Frank and I saw last weekend instead of Avatar. It was OK as a movie, I suppose, but not at all faithful to (or even reminiscent of) the stories and probably had Sir Arthur Conan Doyle rolling in his grave. Lots of violence including explosions, death by falling from great heights, and more, with only a hurried passing nod to the intellectual puzzles that made the Sherlock Holmes stories so fascinating to begin with. Oh, not only that, but the theater didn't have a single empty seat.

We COULD have seen Avatar. I sure wish we had.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh, not only that, but the theater didn't have a single empty seat.

We COULD have seen Avatar. I sure wish we had.
No empty seats in the Imax theater for Avatar, don't know about the other versions.

We were kicking around seeing both, and then either or, but ultimately I think we'll wait for Sherlock Holmes to come out on video and get it from Netflix. Avatar won out because of the 3D - which oldest son (the techno Geek) loved.

Sherlock lost out mostly because of the reviews we read which included descriptions of the action scenes. Sherlock Holmes an action-hero? What was Hollywood smoking when they came up with that idea?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Sherlock Holmes an action-hero? What was Hollywood smoking when they came up with that idea?

Uhhh....that would be Robert Downey Jr and his success with superhero Iron man....but if there's no (or little) brain power....hmmmmm.

BTW....another sci-fi freak here and my comparison for Avatar relates back to my early childhood....do you remember the 1st time you saw The Wizard of OZ.....I only had a BW TV and so had gone someplace special to see OZ.....and when it turned from BW to COLOR, like most I was totally mesmerized....same feeling with Avatar....the 3D is pretty flawless and helps to make you a part of the movie....

I've NEVER been to a movie at the theature more than once....until NOW....saw it in 3D and in IMAX 3D....gotta admit I liked the 3D version better....maybe it was better glasses or the fact that some of the sound in the IMAX version is ULTRA LOUD.....and bein' an old guy now, it can hurt my ears until I adjust to it....

So GO if you can.....you won't regret it!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Good to see you hangin' on hangin' on.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Hey, VACollector, you are back!

It's good to see you around. An update to the rest of us on how things have been for you?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey, VACollector, you are back!

It's good to see you around. An update to the rest of us on how things have been for you?
Thanks for the Welcome Back ....I guess since I've been rediscovered (damn you Avatar!!) I'll update thru another post to see if I can bring you (and me) up to date...thanks again!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Went to see it tonight with DW and DD during our visit to the big city. Sold out, and we got there over an hour before the show. We could have gotten in to see it in 2D, but what would be the point? Oh well, I'll go see it during a matinee sometime in the next couple weeks. If they have it in 3D out in the boonies where I live.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Went to see it tonight with DW and DD during our visit to the big city. Sold out, and we got there over an hour before the show. We could have gotten in to see it in 2D, but what would be the point? Oh well, I'll go see it during a matinee sometime in the next couple weeks. If they have it in 3D out in the boonies where I live.
Ahhh...sorry y'all missed out on it.

You know...I can't remember the last time I've been to a theater. I need to get out more.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Truthfully, it didn't break my little cheapskate heart to miss it. $10.50 for the ticket, plus a $3.50 3-D surcharge (I guess for the glasses). Yow!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #39

I get motion sick playing 3D computer games (like first person shooters). Is the movie in 3D anything like that?

I have not seen a movie in a theater for a long time. Maybe 5+ years? I think I'll try to get to this movie on Friday or Saturday.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I get motion sick playing 3D computer games (like first person shooters). Is the movie in 3D anything like that?

I have not seen a movie in a theater for a long time. Maybe 5+ years? I think I'll try to get to this movie on Friday or Saturday.
The 3D is actually subtle, not like the shark coming off the screen or flying heads, blood etc from earlier days. It is just used (effectively!) to enhance the natural environment so it pulses and glows with life.