Movie Avatar

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Saw it last night - in 3D. You've seen the story several times before; the ecology message is maybe just a tad more interesting than Wall-E's. If that was all there was then a modest yawn would be in order. Go for the visuals though - hands down no competition best xeno-environments, animals, people and hardware I've ever seen. Whups the Hobbitses and Star Trek or Star Wars or District 9 on visuals.

Heard Sigourney Weaver claiming this was the future of movies - as an aging actress I understand her point - won't matter what you look like as long as you can emote - the CGI can make you look like anything.

3D took a while to stop being irritating, don't know that it added a lot for me..

I just reported on the movie in the "what did you do today?" thread. I saw in 2d as I figured that 3d would nauseate me. Visually it was striking. But I always get a bit irritated with emotional manipulation in movies and I also have mixed feelings about stories where the tough American goes native and becomes the savior of the People. (Dances with Wolves is a movie I dislike intensely). But I liked it anyway and he was partly native so I wasn't too put off. And heck, it had a happy ending. :)

Hope this was vague enough not to be spoilers.

Being blind in one eye, I was glad that 3D movies didn't catch on back in the day.

Hey, can I ask where you guys heard about this movie? I had never heard of it until a friend mentioned it yesterday. He said he had never heard of it either until the day before. But it looks to be a huge budget production.

Hey, can I ask where you guys heard about this movie? I had never heard of it until a friend mentioned it yesterday. He said he had never heard of it either until the day before. But it looks to be a huge budget production.
You don't get out much do you? :cool:

The most expensive movie ever produced. It has been all over the news for the past few weeks.

Perhaps you'd pay more attention to a move entitled Avatar if you had one....

I saw it in IMAX 3D, and don't think I'd have enjoyed it nearly as much in 2D. As noted, the story has been done before; for me it was the combination of the 3D and the advanced CGI that made it entertaining. Avatar's 3D isn't the "watch out that thing is going to poke your eye out!" 3D of old. I thought it looked natural and more "rich" than a 2D movie. It was compelling enough to me that I'd like all my movies to be in this format.

Now if they'd just come out with some glasses that were more form-fitting and less annoying to wear...

The most expensive movie ever produced. It has been all over the news for the past few weeks.

Never heard of this movie either. Heck, I never hear about any movie anyhow. And what's an avatar? :cool:

PS. I hope they will recoup their production costs. I will not be able to contribute though.

I guess I don't get out much. :D I never watch the 6 o clock evening news. But I surf the internet for what seems like 8 hours a day. Must be the lack of watching commercials on tv, since my buddy that had also never heard of it doesn't own a tv, but instead watches tv on hulu or at the network's websites.

The story was entirely predictable (Dances With Wolves, only Kevin Costner is 10 feet tall and blue), but I was agog over the technological wizardry needed to make it. The visuals, especially in 3D, were absolutely stunning.

Thanks for the comments. My mother wants us to go see it together. I'm thinking it's worth it but won't be expecting the next Casablanca.

That is surprising. I'm a moderate TV watcher, and I've seen way to much about it over the past few weeks. It got 2½ stars (of 4) in Chicago papers and the two people I know who saw it thought it was visually stunning, ho-hum story. Pretty much like others have said here. I'll wait for it to come out on BD...

Loved watching the imax 3D, doubt it would have been as compelling in 2D. But then my requirement for a movie is that it entertain me. Challenging my mind is usually reserved for books (which get their own room in my house). Having never watched Dancing with wolves, I did have the advantage when it comes to the plot. I also like monster flicks and all things sci fi so take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt. Very beautiful though with decent acting.

dh2b has been driving me crazy with Avatar this and Avatar that. :nonono:

I'm funny that way...the more they hype some new movie, the less inclined I am to go run out and see it right NOW. I've never been much of a herd follower. My drum beats a bit differently. :cool:

With the exception of Pixar :clap:products, CG movies in general creep me out a bit. The motion characteristics and tempo of the animation always seems so artificial. I'll pass on this one.
Maybe I'll suggest he and his charming teenager go see it, male bonding time and all that jazz...>:D

The visuals, especially in 3D, were absolutely stunning.

Same guy made Titanic...this sounds terrible but I watched that one twice on TV to see the boat sink. Very impressive effects.

Probably even more impressive in the theatre, but I hate it when my feet stick to the floor, so I don't go.

The visuals and effects were great... worth the price of admission + 3d glasses fee (albeit the matinee prices...) Left wondering if Ms Weaver was going be brought back ala Aliens in AVATAR II...Didn't care for the eco-message, nor the anti-war message, but all in all it was one movie worth paying to see on the big screen...

I loved the 3D effects, very well done. Light years ahead of the 3D of the 70s. Subtle enough in some areas where you didn't even notice it yet it still added to the immersion.
Plot was ok, nothing spectacular, but with the cgi and 3D one heck of a film.

I'm going to go see it with DD on Monday. I have heard about both the blunt force plot and the visual effects. Still, I'm always looking for the next great 3D movie. So far nothing has come close to Parasite. :D

Don't watch the last couple seconds if you don't like really cheesy gore. YouTube - Facebursting Scene from PARASITE

With the exception of Pixar :clap:products, CG movies in general creep me out a bit. The motion characteristics and tempo of the animation always seems so artificial. I'll pass on this one.

You could be missing a bet - this is pretty remarkably realistic.

Saw it in 2D with my boys last Saturday.

Really seemed like two different movies - the first half and the last half. I enjoyed the first half a little better as there was less moralizing.

Usually I get irritated with the special effects that I can tell are special effects. In this film, I knew they were special effects but about 95% of the time I was able to believe and just immerse myself. I enjoyed that.

2Cor521

You could be missing a bet - this is pretty remarkably realistic.
dh2b showed me the trailer last night and it actually looked pretty good. So we will catch it at a matinee while he is off all this week. :)

I mistakenly thought "Avatar" was another one of those 100% CG deals. The last one he took me to was pretty dark ("9") so I was reluctant to see yet another depressing movie. :nonono:

Saw this late last night, don't go too often to the movies because of Netflix but, trust me, its worth seeing this one on the big screen and in 3D. Really enjoyed the movie, it is a technical breakthrough. You see all these criters and alien environments and don't for a minute think they aren't real.

OK! Y'all have convinced me to in turn try to convince my wife that we want to make a trip to the local theater.

One time we went to see an "action" movie, I lost interest and fell asleep. My wife said that my snoring was embarrassing. Of course, I do not remember what that movie was.

NWB, I highly recomend seeing it in 3D if you have the choice.
The 3D affects are amazing, not so much in their 'in your face knife hurtling out of the screen' effects as in the everyday normal scenes.
The CGI is also astounding, the only reason it isn't my #1 favorite technical aspec is the new 3D technology.

Back
Top Bottom