Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Of every 10 movies that you rent, record, buy, or watch at a theater, how many do you actually like?
0 0 0%
1 3 9.38%
2 3 9.38%
3 8 25.00%
4 1 3.13%
5 2 6.25%
6 4 12.50%
7 4 12.50%
8 3 9.38%
9 3 9.38%
10 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Movie Hit Rate Poll
Old 09-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #1

Movie Hit Rate Poll

-
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Movie Hit Rate Poll
Old 09-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I answered 8.
I do not rush out and see a movie when it first comes out.
(Unless Johnny or Keanu are in it - and that could be 90 minutes of them just standing there and I'd love the movie )

I wait and read reviews and hear what other people say. My taste is not like most of the other girls in the office, so if they like the movie, I know it's probably one to steer away from.

Also, since almost all of my movies are seen thru Netflix, I can see a small preview online and my cost per movie is cheap.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We still like to go see two movies a week - lately foreign movies seem to have more of an appeal than domestic movies.* *
Old 09-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

In this last year that I've implemented ()'s home-theater set-up, I've borrowed movies from libraries, except for the rare couple of movies--indie film-fest type stuff.* My cost is little except for late library fees and purchase and use costs of the home-theater equipment.

However, because it costs me less than when I used to go to the movies (which was still seldom), I find that I am not as discriminating in what I watch, whereas before, the cost of movies would hold me back from just watching movies that I would predict to be not so good.* So, my ratio of really good movies viewed has gone down--I'm guessing about 3 out of 10.

I guess I've got the "time-sink hazard" and "quality hazard" of having a home theater in play here.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't been impressed with a movie in a few years, not since the Lord of the Rings trilogy ended.

IMHO, it takes a great book/screenplay, a great director to bring it to life, and top rate acting talent to create a movie really worth seeing these days. As for the first requirement, there are thousands of great novels that could easily be transformed into screenplays, and which many directors and actors would really enjoy being involved with once they've read the books/screenplays.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Rented "sideways" a month ago, loved it. I voted 5 out of 10, we only see movies in the theatre if it's really special effect laden and dear to the heart (Star Wars, LOTR etc.). I have a home theatre, 43 inch HDTV, 6.1 DTS surround and HBO Hi Def and I still don't see that many movies. Now Football, that's a different story!!!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I haven't been impressed with a movie in a few years, not since the Lord of the Rings trilogy ended.

IMHO, it takes a great book/screenplay, a great director to bring it to life, and top rate acting talent to create a movie really worth seeing these days.* As for the first requirement, there are thousands of great novels that could easily be transformed into screenplays, and which many directors and actors would really enjoy being involved with once they've read the books/screenplays.
Most of you know I am a big Hemingway fan. A lot of his stuff was made into
movies, but it's all pretty dated now. I wonder why some of his novels aren't being refilmed, or better yet some of his short stories. A lot of them would make excellent movies. Maybe his heirs won't allow it??

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Rented "sideways" a month ago, loved it.
Still think the ending should have been 5 seconds longer as the fat naked guy opened the door when he knocked...

Old 09-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Most of you know I am a big Hemingway fan.* A lot of his stuff was made into
movies, but it's all pretty dated now.* I wonder why some of his novels aren't being refilmed, or better yet some of his short stories.* A lot of them would make excellent movies.* Maybe his heirs won't allow it??

JG
And speaking of Hemingway DW told me the other night about reading
a story written by an aspiring author. One submission was returned with a
note. It said, "You should try to write like Hemingway." She replied
that would require a lot of fishing, fighting and f**king and she didn't think she was up to it. Good response I thought.

JG
Old 09-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The last movie I went to was over three months ago, so it'd take me nearly three years to finish this survey.

I had to look it up in Quicken. I gave my kid the money for her pass but I honestly can't remember what I saw-- did Star Wars III come out before mid-June? In that case it was worth the cost of the big screen & special effects but I wouldn't pay money to see it again.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:38 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Most of you know I am a big Hemingway fan. A lot of his stuff was made into
movies, but it's all pretty dated now. I wonder why some of his novels aren't being refilmed, or better yet some of his short stories. A lot of them would make excellent movies. Maybe his heirs won't allow it??
JG
I agree that they are good stories. I think you also got it right that they are dated.
I did rent a video of one of his stories the actors were Amand Assante and the guy who quit Law & Order and dated Julia Roberts for awhile - I can't think of his name. It as a low budget film set in the Carabian about a yatch that sinks and the salvaging of the loot. OK film.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I agree that they are good stories.* I think you also got it right that they are dated.
I did rent a video of one of his stories the actors were Amand Assante and the guy who quit Law & Order and dated Julia Roberts for awhile - I can't think of his name. It as a low budget film set in the Carabian about a yatch that sinks and the salvaging of the loot. OK film.
That's 'After the Storm'. Fabulous story!

JG