Join Early Retirement Today

Movie review: The Guardian
Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Movie review: The Guardian

Great remake of a timeless yet clichéd tale. If you've never watched a military flick before and you don't want the plot spoiled, then stop reading.

OK, for the rest of you:

Let me say that Kevin Costner has made a lot of crappy movies, but at least he finally got one right and redeemed himself for "Waterworld".

I'd have to say the same for Ashton whateverhisnameis. But in my memory he's been typecast for life as the character from "That 70's Show." He's probably going to be a great actor someday but for now he does the best he can do at this stage of his career.

If you haven't seen the movie, it's a typical military buddy flick. You watch Costner become the Coast Guard's best rescue swimmer, fumble his marriage, take over the young pups in the training school, turn the torch over to Ashton-- and you know who's gonna die a spectacularly tragic death. But the tale still drags you along for the ride.

I spent eight years at military training commands, starting right after the Navy killed one of their own students at their rescue swimmer school, and I have to say that the training command violated just about every principle of safe high-risk training. But they did it for Hollywood so that's OK! Other than that nitpick, this movie does even more for the Coast Guard than Top Gun did for Navy Air or John Wayne did for the Army & Marines. I won't spoil the critical scene when the three-time rescue-swimmer student is dealing with his panicked victims, and I won't give away the real reason that Ashton wants to be a rescue swimmer. I loved the way that Costner's character starts his military day with huge bottles of prescription painkillers & muscle relaxants. I also hugely enjoyed the way Costner's character held "Record Day" so that Ashton could set all the new school records and get over himself.

I have to say that the sailors in the "squid bar" don't represent the submarine force. Heck, they barely even represent the surface force. I never got a good look at their insignia but thanks to a YouTube video sent to me a few weeks ago, I'm guessing that they're P-3 aviators.

Of course the reason I saw the flick was because my daughter's been pestering me weekly to go see it. She kept turning to me and saying "Do they really do that in the military!??" and I kept saying "Yep!" But the rescue scenes are pretty realistic, she shed a few tears at the end, and I'm guessing there'll be a few late nights in our future while she reconsiders her military aspirations.

But, heck, if the recruiter had been hanging around the theater lobby I would've signed up again...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Movie review: The Guardian
Old 10-24-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords, I don't watch many movies during the summer but do during the winter so I haven't kept up with recent movies. Is the Guardian a recent movie, and no I didn't read on since I haven't watched it.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since it's probably little too early for Nords to be around, yes it is a new release.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406816/

Old 10-24-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, it started in Hawaii at the end of September. It'll probably be gone next week.

Heck, it may already be on a Netflix DVD. But it's worth the theater experience for those night ocean searches with the pounding surf...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I look forward to seeing it as long as it is shown at that Cinemark that has $1 early-bird rates.

At $1, if the movie sucks and I give it about 30 minutes, and I'm otta-there. I have seen about 10 movies this year ($10 entertainment expense) and have only walked out on one so far~ "Taladaga Nights"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I look forward to seeing it as long as it is shown at that Cinemark that has $1 early-bird rates.

At $1, if the movie sucks and I give it about 30 minutes, and I'm otta-there. I have seen about 10 movies this year ($10 entertainment expense) and have only walked out on one so far~ "Taladaga Nights"
$1.00?? Wow, I don't know of anyplace around here where you can go
(even to a 1930s flop) for a buck. Anyway, I don't think I've been to
a movie theater yet this year and so I've saved whatever they're
charging these days.

JG
Old 10-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

At the Cinemark (brand), if you attend the first showing of the day, it's a buck. After that the cost skyrockets by 50%~ $1.50.

If you have a Cinemark in your area give it a whirl...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 10-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
At the Cinemark (brand), if you attend the first showing of the day, it's a buck. After that the cost skyrockets by 50%~ $1.50.

If you have a Cinemark in your area give it a whirl...
If I'm not mistaken the lowest price Cinema, around here is around$4.00 and it's in the afternoon during the week. $1.00, not that's amazing, although you forgot to mention that the popcorn and pop is $18.50 each.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
although you forgot to mention that the popcorn and pop is $18.50 each.
I would not know. I usually smuggle in a sandwich, drink, fruit, cookies from home.