Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, Al.. Complicated---but worth it for fre movies and TV.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Frozen River," the best movie I've seen all year. I wish I knew how to post the Youtube trailer for the movie, filmed in Plattsburgh, New York, where I spent some time after college. Gives you a different perspective about illegal immigration and the universality of a mother's love for her children.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
"Frozen River," the best movie I've seen all year. I wish I knew how to post the Youtube trailer for the movie, filmed in Plattsburgh, New York, where I spent some time after college. Gives you a different perspective about illegal immigration and the universality of a mother's love for her children.
Just copy and paste the URL, the forum software does the rest.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ya Iron Man was good!
That makes three of us. Unexpectedly good considering the genre.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently watched three of the best movies I've ever seen: Predator, Robocop, and Half Baked
Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Make it 4. Iron Man is a good movie.

Just saw Quantum of Solace - it was just ok
Changeling - seemed like it dragged on a bit
Eagle eye - ok
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #27

I just watched Shrek the 3rd. Not sure if it came out this year but it was fun
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What do you mean, considering the genre? I'll have you know that comic books are high art, and chock full of meaningful social commentary, the battle between good and evil, and super women with impossibly large breasts.

I thought Iron Man was pretty decent too.

I also recently watched the Spiderwick Chronicles, which was entertaining, considering the genre.

Prince Caspian was not bad, and I enjoyed the new Indiana Jones. But Hellboy II stunk. So did the new Fantastic Four. And I never did like Wall-E.

Getting ready to watch Jumper, Hancock, and Kung Fu Panda. Expectations are low, but I'll let you know.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
What do you mean, considering the genre? I'll have you know that comic books are high art, and chock full of meaningful social commentary, the battle between good and evil, and super women with impossibly large breasts.
I stand corrected! My extra bad considering (there goes that word again, bring out the whip) that SO majored in cartooning.

SO and I have suffered through the first hour of "Sex and The City" on video. Very disappointing, and those gals allow close ups, yuck. It may go back to Netflix only 1/2 watched.

I'm putting "Ironman" in the queue.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Jumper sucked too. Another example of a fairly decent book being massacred by Hollywood because they think they know what audiences want. I even read the rewrite of the book because the screenplay was so different from the original story, and even that was better than the movie.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I stand corrected!I'm putting "Ironman" in the queue.
oh, you're gonna love that. i was fascinated by the....ooops, not telling so i won't ruin it.
hint - what would turn a lady engineer on? don't answer til you've seen the movie.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We were at the movies tonight and saw Burn after reading and we got talking about movies and I do not remember any notable movies this year . So I'm wondering were there any that you found notable ?
i'm a netflix person, so i rarely watch movies the same year as released. i have a lot of the recent releases saved in my queue. it's a long list.
nostalgia - i actually rented Peter Pan, the Disney original but redone recently.
dh2b and i watched it and darn near started crying for the memory of childhood. we are 16 months apart in age. such marshmallows.
but we recovered and laughed our heads off at the crocodile with the clock in his tail, chasing Capt Hook.
next on my list is The Maltese Falcon. a Bogart classic.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
nostalgia - i actually rented Peter Pan, the Disney original but redone recently.
dh2b and i watched it and darn near started crying for the memory of childhood. we are 16 months apart in age. such marshmallows.
but we recovered and laughed our heads off at the crocodile with the clock in his tail, chasing Capt Hook.
I actually have an old VCR recording (off the TV) of the Mary Martin Peter Pan, maybe the last time they broadcasted it. I love that one. When DD was littler we used to watch it. She thought she was Tiger Lily, and used to dress up and dance around. Priceless!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Iron Man + Kiss Kiss Bang Bang = Robert Downey Jr. X 2.

Loved them both! And Chances Are, and Zodiac (a little slow but still good).

Harley, your daughter was Tiger Lily? Mine too!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't see many movies, but I got hold of a copy of Zombie Strippers. It wasn't as good as The Evil Dead, but it had its moments. An all star cast (Jenna Jameson, ummm, some other people, and that guy that played Freddie), and lots of gratuituous violence and nudity. I heartily don't recommend it to normal people.

Interesting...I was thinking about checking that one out. I pointed to it when the wife & I were in Blockbuster recently, but she didn't seem interested. Hmmmmm..........

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #36

I also thought Iron Man was pretty good...at least better than most I've seen lately. I thought The Express was pretty good, too.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I was an extra in The Express! Did you see me, Marty ?

We're waiting for it to come out on DVD so we can pause every single frame to find me in the bleachers
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I was an extra in The Express! Did you see me, Marty ?

We're waiting for it to come out on DVD so we can pause every single frame to find me in the bleachers
I have a friend whose hobby is doing extra work. She's always calling and saying things like "did you see The Bodyguard? That scene with the elevator? That was my elbow!".

She enjoys it. I was surprised how much opportunity there is for that sort of thing. Let us know if you find yourself. I'll even pay to rent the movie.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Hancock - better than I feared, but not great. A little smarmy, but the story held together OK. I think Will Smith is actually developing into an actor who can carry a movie. Even without Tommy Lee Jones.