Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1446421984.022308.jpg

Magic (1978)
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The Wizard of Oz. I found the tornado scene terrifying. (And then, after 25 years of living in NJ, I moved to Tornado Alley at age 50.)
I thought the scariest part of The Wizard of Oz was Miss Gulch riding that bike and then turning into a witch.

As a kid, I thought Poltergeist was terrifying.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thirteen Ghosts. Not the remake from 2001, but the original from 1960. Watched it at a slumber party and was scared to death.
13ghostsposters.jpg
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Swiss Family Robinson early 60's...

"Huh" you say?

I was 6-7 years old, my older sister took me to see some obscure B&W space movie (can't remember the name, maybe 12 to the Moon?) and then Swiss Family Robinson a few days later. Both had scenes where people died slowly in quicksand. I didn't know there was such a thing, and when I found out there really was, my 6-7 year old brain couldn't take it. I was horrified, and had bad dreams about it for weeks if not months.

Strange, but no other movie upset me worse since, including most named above.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Thirteen Ghosts. Not the remake from 2001, but the original from 1960. Watched it at a slumber party and was scared to death.

Attachment 22552

Wow I never thought I would "meet" another person who knew of this movie. It was a classic!

Also Carnival of Souls. That was an oldie but creepy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Alien - and I wasn't really a kid.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Torn Curtain (1966), a Cold War spy thriller movie by Hitchcock. I feared for the protagonists in several scenes when they were about to be captured.

PS. In watching it again recently, I realized that they were talking about anti-missile programs. So, the idea of the Strategic Defense Initiative existed long before Reagan signed off on it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

OK, try this on for size...

The Screaming Skull.... I was 5 or 6 when I saw it on TV.... I was so scared I could not walk down the dark hall to go to my bedroom....

Here is a trailer.... it is interesting.... they would bury you for FREE if you died of fright watching the movie.... beat that!!

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...iler&fr2=15344

BTW, not so scary... just a cheesy movie....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

You are going to laugh.

This one scared the p*ss out of me as a wee bairn. So hokey, but the sense of no escape gripped me.

Robot Monster (1953) - IMDb

Not a fan of horror flicks.

The Blob was pretty scary but the musical score was so campy I still remember it today.

Forbidden Planet was sort of scary, too. But the dialog had a real gem. ("A civilization without instrumentalities?" "YES! A civilization without instrumentalities!")

A fan of Hitchcock, the best for me were The Birds and Psycho. IMHO, Psycho is one of the best movies ever made. Simple, arresting, black-and-white, well edited--the final scene is so well cut and curls the hair.

The most frightening movie I ever saw: Seven Days in May. In the army in the 60's, it was not implausible. I was stationed in a very serious place. It was believable.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #50

The original War of the Worlds was the scariest for me too. I was afraid to walk home from the movie theater, I thought I was going to be incinerated by the martians (that looked like a street light). The Birds scared me too and the flying monkies in The Wizard of Oz. I must have been a chicken.....and I don't watch scary movies to this day.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:54 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Attachment 22551

Magic (1978)

Yes, this. Also, this:

bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
The Blob was pretty scary but the musical score was so campy I still remember it today.
I suspect most people don't know that the title song in the original ~1958 movie (The Blob) was co-written by Burt Bacharach and it became a hit song in the US.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #53

Two on a Guillotine did it for me!
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I suspect most people don't know that the title song in the original ~1958 movie (The Blob) was co-written by Burt Bacharach and it became a hit song in the US.
I remember the song quite well, but forgot that it was from a movie! "Beware of the blob, it creeps and leaps, and glides and slides across the floor"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I was in college when it came out, but don't think any movie has ever effected me as strongly and as long as Jaws. Even though I love the beach and swimming and snorkeling and such, I still keep an eye out when I'm playing in the water. It's become part of me.
I never learned to swim because of Jaws.

As a kid, I begged my parents to take me to see Jaws, and I was enjoying it, right up to the point where the guy goes in the water to investigate the boat, and the severed head floats by.

That did it. Never had a desire to go in the water or learn to swim. Even to this day as an adult, I don't like to get into hot tubs or bath tubs.

The only other movie that freaked me out a bit was The Blair Witch Project. I was living up in the woods in Colorado when I saw it, and it freaked me out enough that I didn't want to make the drive back home, up into the mountains at night, and driving through the woods.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #56

The original Salems Lot from 1979. Specifically this scene. It scared me so much I had nightmares for weeks, and it still kinda freaks me out even to this day! The ominous music and feeling of dread when this vampire kid comes floating up to the window through the mist and then scratches at the glass... Yeah, that was just beyond creepy.

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I didn't watch this clip myself. No need to go through THAT again!

oy Vey

this did it for me. haven't seen a horror flick since.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #58

Didn't get to see a lot of movies as kid but somehow saw something called Donovan's Brain that absolutely freaked me out. IIRC it was a brain that was kept in an aquarium like tank and that's about all I remember, but as I say, it scared the bejeezus out of me!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #59

The flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. Also, vampires and anything with snakes.

The movie "The Bad Seed" also terrified me.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

That's the one, The Exorcist !
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote