Join Early Retirement Today

Moving to Danbury CT
Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moving to Danbury CT

We will be moving to Danbury Ct area this summer. Will take any advice or thoughts about settling in there. We are planning to rent a house and we love to walk and ride bikes vs. driving. Fitness is important from joining a fitness center to outdoor activities. I would like to find a regular basketball game that includes a few over 50 folk. We are fairly active in non-profits and sometimes city government issues. We also enjoy theater and professional sports, which we know are not as convenient as we have it today. We will locate a Green Bay Packer tavern before football season

Anyone from this area? Thoughts?

Thanks
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Dave-
I have lived in Danbury for 30 years and my biggest mistake was not buying a house on Candlewood Lake. The small communities around the lake are not suitable to riding bikes, the roads are old and very narrow. Hiking is OK, the Appalachian Trail is close by and the Housatonic River (north, up Route 7) is great for kayaking/hiking/fishing and camping.

Ridgefield Playhouse, Westport Playhouse and TheatreWorks in New Milford offer some entertainment. Long Wharf in New Haven is also popular.

The over 50 softball/basketball scene is at the War Memorial/Rogers Park area downtown.

It's a pretty safe city with lots of ethnic diversity.
Taxes are favorable compared to the surrounding towns (Newtown, Brookfield and Ridgefield).
1st and 10 Cafe is a good place to spend cold Sunday's rooting for the GIANTS and JETS.
Hope this helps and good luck with the move. Do you have any kids that will be in the school system?
kern44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
gone traveling

I previously lived in Ridgefield, Stamford and Monroe and as a child we spend significant time at Candlewood Lake during the summers. DW would love to go back, but we couldn't afford the houses we owned back the in the 80s. Go to Stu Leonards, its like a trip to the zoo. Also be prepared to be double teamed by the Giant and Patriot fans
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #4

Hi Kern44 & DFW,

No kids. DW, daughter and son-in-law will all be going there. Glad to hear there could be a place to keep up my basketball. And are really pleased about the diversity. We are looking forward to the 70 mile bike ride to NYC. And somehow, we are going to have to find other cheese heads there that come in green and gold.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
We are looking forward to the 70 mile bike ride to NYC.
davef,

If you are bikers your are going to LOVE living in Connecticut. I lived there for 2 years, got involved with an active well-run bicycling group and had a great time exploring the area.

CT is roughly 60 miles by 90 miles, so you can literally be anywhere in the state in a couple of hours. The topography is scenic (gently rolling hills and flatter areas)and the country roads are typically lined with huge old trees that provide nice shade and little traffic.

The biking group used to arrange shorter rides (~ 12-15 miles) once or twice a week on weekday evenings and longer rides (~25-30 miles) on weekends. We also did an overnight stay on Martha's Vineyard, as well as taking ferries for day trips to Block Island, RI (aka poor man's Nantucket) and the eastern end of Long Island (very agricultural).

Fun memories.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Administrator

Welcome to the finest state in the nation. We live down on the Sound, but we often drive the roadster up in Litchfield County during the summer. I'm sure you'll love it in Danbury. Make sure you ride up Rte. 7 to Kent.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in Rowayton, about 25 miles south. Lots to do in this area. Capitol theater in Port Chester for live music, as an add.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote