Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sadly, there are news reports that Muhammad Ali is in grave condition with respiratory issues. Hope the champ finds a way to bounce back, but signs are that we may lose another icon :(.

Muhammad Ali's 38-year-old daughter, Laila Ali, said in a statement Friday that she "appreciates the outpouring of love" amid her father's hospitalization with respiratory issues.

"Laila's number one priority is her father's well-being. She truly appreciates the outpouring of love for her family, as she spends quality time with her dad," her spokesperson said.

A 911 call was made to the Paradise Valley Police Department around 1 p.m., authorities said. EMS personnel can be overheard on the recording saying someone was having "difficulty breathing" at Ali's address.

Muhammad Ali's Daughter Praises 'Outpouring of Love' Amid Boxer's Hospitalization - ABC News

My mother met him in a hotel gift shop in Miami many years ago... she said that he was a very gracious man and spent a few minutes talking with her and then went on his way.

I always thought it ironic that a man of such physical prowess and force of personality was struck down by a debilitating disease like Parkinson's. Sounds pretty grave considering his condition/age. One of the greats.

Many years ago (last century, 80's, 90's?), my Uncle (RIP) was in a position where he sometimes met famous people. He happened to meet Ali, and asked for his autograph. He said it was almost like he was illiterate, he seemed to have trouble writing his own name. That might have been from the onset of Parkinsons, but the public did not know at the time.

-ERD50

I always thought it ironic that a man of such physical prowess and force of personality was struck down by a debilitating disease like Parkinson's. Sounds pretty grave considering his condition/age. One of the greats.

Sad, but perhaps not so ironic - from wiki:

Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's syndrome in 1984, a disease that commonly results from head trauma from activities such as boxing.

The Holmes fight is said to have contributed to Ali's Parkinson's syndrome.

-ERD50

RIP Ali. I am a former boxer and Ali has been my hero. It's beyond boxing. He has been a hero for humanity. So sad.

Boxing was never the same after he retired imo. I enjoyed watching him box, but never watch today. R.I.P.

One of my favorite Ali lines: "You better C Sharp or B Flat."

RIP Champ!

Attachments

• Ali.jpg
    Ali.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 11
Though I'm a vet, I respected his fight to not enter the Army during Vietnam. His athletic prowess is second to none. RIP.

Enjoying life!

So sad. IMO, He was the greatest HW champ "in my lifetime". Maybe of all time.

I grew up in Louisville, KY and I'll always remember him as our hometown hero. When I was in elementary school, I picked Ali as my hero and did a book report about his life. This Thanksgiving when I visit family in Louisville, I'll definitely pay a visit to the Ali Museum. RIP Champ.

Such a big loss of a sports icon. Clay/Ali to Boxing was like Babe Ruth to baseball.

Such a big loss of a sports icon. Clay/Ali to Boxing was like Babe Ruth to baseball.

+1. And like the other poster mentioned, I recall getting chills when he appeared on the steps to light the Olympic torch.

Last edited:
easysurfer,

Thanks I was searching for the right words. That's a great way to remember him. He was a different level of competitor than many. The man was truly amazing.

easysurfer,

Thanks I was searching for the right words. That's a great way to remember him. He was a different level of competitor than many. The man was truly amazing.

My pleasure MRG.

Last edited:
True, but please don't call him Clay. He didn't like that.

True. But if you only look at his post Clay career, that would cut out so many of his earlier spectacular fights.

I happened to meet him once in 1988. By chance, we both arrived to check in at the same hotel at the same time. I knew he had Parkinson's disease, but I was very struck by its effect on him. Hard to understand when he spoke, and not able to sign his name beyond a scrawl. Fortunately, he had people with him to help with everything.

Still, even dealing with all that he was gracious and friendly to everyone. Definitely an unforgettable individual and an incredible athlete.

RIP.

I still remember the commercial from my childhood: "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, the great smell of Brut and the punch of Ali."

i haven't followed boxing much at all since it all went to pay-per-view. But when I was a kid in the 1970s, I think heavyweight boxing was in its "golden decade" that every sport seems to have. Not only did you have so many great fighters going at it with each other -- Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Lyle, Norton, Holmes and so on -- but all the big bouts were on live, *free* network TV. And those of us who watched it remember the calls from "Howard Cosell reporting from ringside".

But at the epicenter of the 1970s boxing universe, of course, was Ali. Whether you loved him or wanted him to lose, the entertainment and showmanship value was there. If there is one word I can use to describe him, it would be "iconic". Like Babe Ruth defined baseball in the 1920s, Ali symbolized boxing in the 1970s in a decade where the heavyweights got almost all the attention. And in a year when so many legends from my youth are dying off, 2016 marches on to claim yet another one. The Grim Reaper is having a career season.

Boxing made Ali famous, but there is no doubt that the repeated blows to the head that Ali experienced took a severe toll on him. He began slurring his words at age 40, and was never the same after that. I used to watch boxing back in Ali's era, but never do anymore, partly because it is pretty clear what happens when anyone suffers repeated brain trauma, which is unavoidable in the sport of boxing.

I was not a fan when he was still fighting, because of his brash, oversized personality.

I wished Liston had beaten him though by the time I first heard of him, Ali had had his epic fights, both wins against Liston and one or both fights against Frazier.

I didn't appreciate the poetry of his self-promotion and the promotion of the legendary fights. His rhymes were memorable and no doubt inspired many but for some reason, they contributed to my perception of him as a cocky, taunting jerk.

Instead I thought Frazier's story was more inspirational and his low-key demeanor seemed more deserving of admiration.

I distinctly recall Ali mocking Frazier and other opponents for being boring or slow or not pretty like him.

Among all the reactions to his passing, a lot of young black star athletes talk about how inspirational he was to them and the one reason repeatedly cited is that Ali spoke up for what he believed in.

But I'm not sure they're referring to the biggest issue that Ali is known for, his refusal to report for service and go serve in Vietnam. Was it this refusal that which inspired generations of people or was it Ali's overall irrepressible, brash demeanor?

And would Ali be the inspirational figure if he didn't beat Frazier and especially Foreman? People talk about his influence and significance beyond his feats in the ring but if he lost those big, legendary fights, would he have had the same political and cultural impact?

As I said before, I didn't like the larger than life personality that he cultivated. The people who took up this mantle of cockiness and braggadocio were not boxers who followed him or even the superstar black NFL and NBA players. It was instead superstar rappers who churned out hits bragging about their sexual prowess and their material wealth who best exemplify the Ali persona in the late 20th and early 21st century popular culture.

On the other hand, Ali's bravery, his apparent willingness to challenge the orthodoxy which led this country to an unjust and unpopular war seems heroic. It's certainly more admirable than superstar athletes who appear only to be concerned about making the most money. You wouldn't think Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Lebron James or other figures of similar stature would risk taking stances like the very public refusal by Ali to be inducted into the Selective Service, because the megastars of today wouldn't risk losing the lucrative endorsements and sponsorships which bring them tens or even hundreds of millions a year.

Then again, you suspect they'd find a way to avoid service even if we had conscription.

But I wonder, was Ali's stance purely one of conscience or did he simply believe he could avoid it without paying the consequences?

Did he know that he'd be stripped of his titles and be prevented from fighting for 3-4 years, in his prime?

He certainly wasn't meek when he was expressing his conscience. He talked of his unwillingness to fight "slave masters" in their war against "dark-skinned people."

I haven't read biographies so I don't know if he was genuine in expressing his conscientious objector status or he was gambling that he could refuse to serve and get away with it due to his fame.

Because what happened to individuals who refused to serve? How easy or difficult was it to get an exemption due to religious beliefs? Didn't men typically get incarcerated unless they were able to convince the draft board?

Certainly Ali inspired many others who objected to the war as well as well as young African-Americans who saw a black star take an heroic political stand.

Ali also was an inspiration to the Civil Rights movement but he doesn't seem to have gone in any marches or make a lot of statements about the movement. Certainly there was overlap between the Civil Rights and anti war movements which might explain why those fighting for Civil Rights in the 60s gravitated to Ali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom