Music videos

So may genres to choose from. Saw this man in concert last month in a small intimate venue. There as so many great guitar players, but only a few are CGP. Tommy Emmanuel doing a cover of Classical Gas.

I fell in love with this Chi Coltrane song the first time I heard it 50 years ago.

This version was apparently recorded with the backing track but live Chi. I still love it all these years later. Looks like you have to watch on YouTube.

Runaway Planet - Wayfaring Stranger

If you don't care for bluegrass/folk/acoustic music, then just skip this post right now. But if you do, click away and enjoy (you can thank me later). Heads up, listen to the song to the end. The video is very interesting, but the concert goes into overtime with the instrumental which starts at the 3:00 mark.

I had never heard of Runaway Planet before I stumbled upon their take on this classic song on YouTube. I'm just glad I have it in digital format because if it was in vinyl, the needle would have worn a hole in my record by now.

Bonus points for anyone who can help me out and answer a question and who has a better ear for these things than I do. The website for Runaway Planet indicates that two members of that group play the mandolin. But I can't tell if this song has two mandolins in it or just one. Many times I swear I hear two mandolins playing different parts. But when I listen to it the next time I am not so sure and wonder if it just one mandolin and a guitar. I think there are two mandolins. There has to be. But confirmation (or correction) would be appreciated.

That's mandolin, guitar and banjo.
Late in the song, there's a brief time where 2 mandolins are playing -- it's during a solo break, where one mando is carrying on with a rhythm part while the second one takes a solo

A little Billy Strings and Marcus King for your enjoyment!

And now a bit of Marcus King and Billy Strings, I believe the future of music is in very capable and talented hands...

Some nights just stream from Daryl's House.

I liked Daryl Hall and John Oates in the 80's. But to be really honest, I didn't fully appreciate them until the last 10 years or so. Many wonderful songs. I could say the same for Cyndi Lauper although I probably didn't like her music as much when it first came out. Like Linda Ronstadt, I think her voice is no more. But very few people could sing or dance like Cyndi Lauper did back then.

That's mandolin, guitar and banjo.
Late in the song, there's a brief time where 2 mandolins are playing -- it's during a solo break, where one mando is carrying on with a rhythm part while the second one takes a solo

Thanks very much!!! The two mandos during the solo break sounded pretty obvious when I listened to this song last night after seeing your post. My ear can still have a hard time picking out the banjo versus the mandolin sometimes. I have the impression that banjos can be tuned in a wide variety of ways and sometimes make it hard for me to pick them out. Or maybe someone placed the microphone too far away. Most of the time though it's pretty obvious. For me, if a song has a banjo or a mandolin, I'm game. I'll listen to it. I might not like it. But I want to take the chance and at least hear it.

Joshua Lee Turner - Third Rate Romance

I've been following Josh Turner (on the left in the video) and Carson McKee for some time. They have so much talent. After you've watched the video, just listen to the audio - skip the video - so you can hear all the neat things Josh does with his guitar.

The City of New Orleans - Arlo Guthrie

God bless Steve Goodman for writing this song. But Arlo Guthrie is the one who turned it into one of the greatest train songs ever. Arlo, not Willie. Arlo tweaked some of the verses that Steve wrote and I wish he had left some of them alone. But Steve really didn't know how to play or sing this song very well. Some of his recordings of this song are almost painful to listen to. Other times you're just blown away by some of his guitar licks. Arlo really understood this song. If I have my way (I probably wont'), they could play this song at my funeral some day. But I want this version played. Arlo's voice changed so much over the year and he just doesn't sing it in the classic way anymore.

I've been following Josh Turner (on the left in the video) and Carson McKee for some time. They have so much talent. After you've watched the video, just listen to the audio - skip the video - so you can hear all the neat things Josh does with his guitar.

Oh yeah! These guys are super talented! I have been watching them for a while as well. The other young man in the video is Carson's brother Skylar they have some amazing music together as well!

Hold on their pardner! Go ahead and have your thing for Lisa Fischer. But Merry Clayton still did the best backing vocals on Gimme Shelter in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm sure we could argue all day about who does a given song the best way. Here are a couple of versions of the same song. They couldn't be much different, but I really like them both. Who knew?

My favorite scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I understand it cost the producers a fortune to secure rights for the song to be used in the movie. Worth every penny though YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom