Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Inspired by the destination disappointments thread, how about the flip side. IMO there are places that have to be seen in person, no pictures can do them justice, often due to size/scale. The two that come to mind immediately are the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls. I've never been to Yosemite, but I gather it's that kind of place too.

What are the places, events, etc. - natural or manmade - that you think must be witnessed in person to appreciate? Something for all our bucket lists...

You mention the Yosemite. I just got back yesterday from my first visit there. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. I feel renewed and cannot wait to return one day. As my namesake says about the Yosemite:

"Oh, these vast, calm, measureless mountain days, inciting at once to work and rest! Days in whose light everything seems equally divine, opening a thousand windows to show us God. Nevermore, however weary, should one faint by the way who gains the blessings of one mountain day; whatever his fate, long life, short life, stormy or calm, he is rich forever." — from John of the Mountains (1938)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello TraineeInvestor - I most enjoyed visiting Victoria Peak, going to Kowloon, visiting the Central District, trying different restaurants for their Dim Sum (spelling?) etc. I went to Hong Kong twice only but enjoyed my visits every time. I felt like I was visiting a place where "East meets West" as they say. Fascinating experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Just out of interest, what is the attraction of Hong Kong as a tourist destination? It's a great city to live and work in, but unless you are a shopaholic, I've never really understood the appeal as a place to go for a holiday?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have friends from Iran and have seen various documentaries on Iran. It looks like a fascinating destination! That being said, it ain't happening anytime soon! I really enjoyed the GlobeTrekker episode on Iran.

I had very high expectations of Petra. We first arrived at Wadi Musa (town just outside of Petra) after a great day of driving through Jordan visiting some ancient sites and swimming in the Dead Sea. I got a sinking feeling that it was going to be a bust because of the town. The town wasn't ugly, dangerous or dirty -- just uninteresting. But, I couldn't have been more wrong. Petra invokes so many positives adjectives!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I really want to see the Northern Lights sometime in my life.
Just in case, there are those who have never seen them:

http://thisisnthappiness.com/post/11...ra-over-norway

Aurora over Norway.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Redwoods in northern California.

I've been around the world several times and they are more inspiriting than any man made structure.
Yes...I agree...

Oh...I almost forgot...I'd love to go to Spain and see Vicente...
Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Just in case, there are those who have never seen them:

http://thisisnthappiness.com/post/11...ra-over-norway

Attachment 10107
Great picture, but having seen Northern Lights in person, it is definitely an event that no picture does justice to. It's literally unbelievable to watch...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote