Join Early Retirement Today

My 3,500 post....
Old 09-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 3,500 post....

OK... this will probably be quick.... because I am sure I will post in some other thread soon...

But this is my 3,500 post... I meant to post something at 2,000... missed it... 3,000, missed it... so I decided to do 3,500 since I JUST saw my 3,499 a few seconds ago!!!!

It has been fun... I have learned a lot... I have even changed my mind on a number of items... there is a wealth of information on this board... and I see lots of people using it as a 'second opinion'... which means you get dozens or even hundreds of opinions.... but usually they congregate on a few main themes... and you have better information to make your final decision...

Here are a few thoughts from me... just rambling a bit....

Getting married for the first time later in life is hard....

Kids cost more than you think....

Having a wife that does not think 'frugal' can cause some heated arguments... and having one that does not understand 'money' is even harder...

Having kids can make up for their costs

I am not ashamed to take the cash for clunkers money...

My risk tollerance was tested in this down market... I can not stand a 50% loss and be calm... (but I was surprised that I did accept it without to much problems, mostly because I could not do anything about it after the fact)... having the market come back like it has has closed the wound a bit...... now I have to figure out my real risk tollerance... (BTW, 90 to 95% stock is where I was)...

Buying a new house in the down market is great.... trying to sell one is not... but I got a great house for the money... and the one I am trying to sell I purchased in the last down market...

I am concerned where our country is going.... and what the current administration wants to spend money on....

I was upset at the last administration... and what THEY spent money on...

[Moderator Edit]

I think our country is still the greatest in the world and it will come out of the current problems... anything that gets passed that is to much will be corrected in the future... we will vote in others to dismantle anything that is a huge mistake...

I know there are lots of [Moderator Edit] people who think the opposite of me... and good for them... I also think a lot of people do NOT appreciate that others can have a different view of things and not be bad people... politics seems to teach otherwise...

I am thankful for my life... and hope it continues for a lot longer..

NOW>>> on to 3,501.....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Well maybe we should all post what we have learned from the forum ? I've learned how to make great chicken wings ( Thanks Connie ) . I've learned my risk tolerance wavers at huge losses . I've learned that for me my age in bonds is phooey . I hope to be as aggressive at 90 as I am today . I've learned that there are lots of different types of relationships that float peoples boat . I've gotten some great book reviews and lastly I've learned that this is a great fun place to be . Happy 3500 Texas Proud !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've learned my risk tolerance wavers at huge losses . I've learned that for me my age in bonds is phooey .
Ain't that the truth!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Kids cost more than you think....

Now there's the understatement of the day!

DW and I have calculated that if we had never worked a day after our wedding (at age 21) and did not have a family we would have been financially better off than having worked well into our 50's and raising a family.

Having been through it, it's hard for us to understand how a couple who decides not to do the family thing ever needs to work at all.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've learned that this is a great fun place to be .
In my short stint, that was the first -- and most useful -- "thing" added to my knowledge pool.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote