Join Early Retirement Today

My BIL's last birthday is tomorrow
Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My BIL's last birthday is tomorrow

He's dying of pancreatic cancer and has very little time left.

He was a cop and decided to retire at age 50. He's very happy he did that. The past 11 years have allowed him time to be with his kids, play with his toys (remodeling old cars), fix up his house, travel and have fun.

He (and my brother, who is dying of a lung disease) are the prime reasons why I've decided to get out in 196 days. Life is just way too short
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So sorry for them both, their families, and you who will miss them so much.

It is good that your BIL could retire early and have some fun in his short time left.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
He's dying of pancreatic cancer and has very little time left.

He was a cop and decided to retire at age 50. He's very happy he did that. The past 11 years have allowed him time to be with his kids, play with his toys (remodeling old cars), fix up his house, travel and have fun.

He (and my brother, who is dying of a lung disease) are the prime reasons why I've decided to get out in 196 days. Life is just way too short
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

So sorry to hear your news, Nuiloa.

Glad you are getting out. Keep us posted on your countdown and eventual "freedom day".

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully he not in too much pain and has the strength to celebrate the day and his life with some family and close friends.

I agree with you... enjoy life while you can (Carpe Diem).
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to read this, Nuiloa. Take care.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote