Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When we moved cross country, we gave away a lot of furniture. It was very frustrating - people would show up by themselves and expect me to carry heavy stuff down a flight of stairs - in spite of being told ahead of time that they'd have to move it. They'd show up with tiny cars for big pieces of furniture. They'd come with not even a piece of rope or a blanket to secure / protect things while moving.

For day-to-day getting rid of junk, I found listing the item for a dollar beats listing it in the free section. That way, people really want the item as opposed to simply claiming it because it is free. Also, fewer people claimed it, but then failed to show up requiring me to relist it. Living rural, I can't just put things on the side of the road.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I just put the stuff in front at our other house on a busy road. If it contains various items of questionable quality, the sign reads - Free Must Take All. This strategy hasn't failed yet. However I do feel a little guilty about contributing to someone's hoarding addiction.
We put a large storage container (like Rubbermaid) with a bunch of wire hangers out with a free sign. A lady stopped to pick it up, and just dumped the hangers on our lawn. Unfortunately for her, I happened to be in the garage when she did it, and I told her in no uncertain terms that she couldn’t have the container if she didn’t take the hangers too. ‘How would you like it if someone dumped things in your front yard?’ She was embarrassed and took them, (my) mission accomplished.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Stuff of no value, unrepairable, etc, goes directly in the trash or recycle bin at home.

Stuff of value and WORKING: I take it to my local daily meetup (ROMEO Club) at the Burger King and offer it up. Nine times out of ten, the BK workers take it for their own use. One time out of ten, one of the guys grabs it for his (family's) use.

Works all the time!
Old 09-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Stuff of no value, unrepairable, etc, goes directly in the trash or recycle bin at home.

Stuff of value and WORKING: I take it to my local daily meetup (ROMEO Club) at the Burger King and offer it up. Nine times out of ten, the BK workers take it for their own use. One time out of ten, one of the guys grabs it for his (family's) use.

Works all the time!

You have a daily ROMEO meeting? Wow...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use 'Next door' at the moment to sell and give stuff away where I live right now. I was a heavy user of 'freecycle' where I lived in the past, but every place has a different vibe. Next door verifies its users.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I just put the stuff in front at our other house on a busy road. If it contains various items of questionable quality, the sign reads - Free Must Take All. This strategy hasn't failed yet...
One time, walking around the neighborhood, I saw a similar sign posted on a CRT TV, with a bottle of wine on top of the TV as a bribe.

Next day, the bottle was gone, but the TV remained.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My favorite way of getting rid of stuff I no longer need, if it's too bulky or not valuable enough to sell on-line, is Free Stuff on Craigslist. I live alone so I don't want people knocking on the door, and I don't need the money. I DO answer e-mails asking if the item is gone yet. I live on a cul-de-sac so ordinarily not much traffic. Lessons learned:

1. Do not hold items aside for someone with a good story- most don't show up. Once I did put an item out early on request and when someone else snatched it up first, the requestor sent ME a nasty e-mail. (The item was a slightly used cane.)

2. Put it out and then list it. I used to say, "item will be at the end of the driveway before 9 AM tomorrow morning..." and people would show up early. One guy showed up at my door shortly after I listed a bunch of vinyl LPs I was planning on putting out the next morning.

3. Generally the first person to show up grabs everything even though they may be totally disparate items from 6 listings. I've made this work to my advantage by including things too trivial to list separately with the rest of the stuff. Someday I gotta go to some local flea markets and see if I recognize anything!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Not much action on CL in rural areas, but I do live on a busy street so I use a FREE sign for good/useable items. If that doesn't work, I put a high price on it and it gets stolen...
Bill55AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #29

I recently joined my local Buy Nothing group on FB and have offered a few things on it. Seems to work well and is very local. Next Door is also pretty good and local. Some things it's just easiest to put them by the street with a FREE sign and I love how they disappear so quickly. Other things I donate to GW or my favorite animal charity. It's a bigger hassle to try to sell things or have a garage sale so I don't.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #30

Most free stuff I've seen are CRT TVs and no one seems to take them. Some even offer money to take it away. Most of those TVs work fine. With TV price dropping over the years and the advent of 4k TVs, I now see free LCD/LED tvs on free list. They are gone almost immediately.

One I am tempted to convince DW to get it free is a piano. There are some good ones but I can't pull the trigger as it goes against our effort to downsize.

I've just got whole bunch of electronic stuff for my cave (half of the garage). They were offered free but I pay some money anyway. They happily took it. Everyone was happy with the "deal."
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We received a big screen for free from Nextdoor that works fine. Over 6 months to a year, I think if I needed to I could actually furnish a house with just the free items on our Nextdoor group, including working appliances. People give away all sorts of pretty nice furniture, household items and sometimes working appliances daily on there.

Some of the more boutique like thrift shops in our area are very good for bargains, too. The other week I bought a couple of signed prints in nice frames with mats for $2.50 each. They still had the gallery tags on the back with a $80 price tag each from years ago, so with inflation a gallery might price them even more today.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #32

I just remodeled my bathroom, replaced the double vanity (marble top) and big mirror sitting over it. Twenty years old but still in decent shape, listed it on CL for $150 hoping for a quick sell, just wanted to get rid of it. Someone picked it up the next day. I've had pretty good luck with CL the few times I've listed stuff for sell.
zinger1457 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #33

We live on a pretty busy road so putting things out front works very well.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
... There are definitely good deals to be had, much better than you can get stuff from EBay. E.g, I've bought a quad core PC for $25, a decent receiver for $15, etc.. Most people I've dealt with are nice but be cautious nontheless...
That stirs up my interest, so I went surfing the local Craigslist listing to see what's out there.

Nothing that good here. Saw a listing for a side panel of some unknown desktop case for $10. Really? Saw a front panel for some Dell or HP desktop for $15. Hah!

Do people really fix up their desktop case, like car body shops buying car body parts? Strange...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Do people really fix up their desktop case, like car body shops buying car body parts? Strange...

If you wait long enough, good stuff will show up. So, be patient, grasshopper.

I did fix few PCs for fun. For example, I exchanged 3 old disks from my dead PCs with a quad core PC with a bad power supply fan noise. The noise was not acceptable and I replaced it one of the dead PC ones. Now, I have a pretty good PC that only cost me 3 dead drives.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:36 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
There have been a few times when we have tried giving things away-to no avail. A working fridge, then an older upright freezer, and a good piano.

In all three cases we decided to list for a price. I think we sold the fridge and the freezer for $80. each. Both sold immediately. Our goal was just get shut of them and not have pay to have them removed.

The piano took a little longer but it sold. We thought that we had successfully given it away three times. Always fell through. Put it up over Chrismas. Got one phone call, a viewing, and voila it was gone the next day.

I suspect that some people think that a give away means useless junk. That is why DW suggesting we put a price on these items. Not for the money but rather to avoid the expense and bother of disposing of them. Worked like a charm all three times.
Yes, I think that’s true. We’ve done the same.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When we moved cross country, we gave away a lot of furniture. It was very frustrating - people would show up by themselves and expect me to carry heavy stuff down a flight of stairs - in spite of being told ahead of time that they'd have to move it. They'd show up with tiny cars for big pieces of furniture. They'd come with not even a piece of rope or a blanket to secure / protect things while moving.

For day-to-day getting rid of junk, I found listing the item for a dollar beats listing it in the free section. That way, people really want the item as opposed to simply claiming it because it is free. Also, fewer people claimed it, but then failed to show up requiring me to relist it. Living rural, I can't just put things on the side of the road.
We had Salvation Army come by and pick up some of the simpler stuff - nice bookshelves, kitchen shelving,..... I think we called and gave them a description.

The nicer furniture we worked with a local used furniture store that worked on consignment. When they came to pick it up, they made us an offer. We took it.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #38

I've had 95% good experiences with Craigslist. Sold a lot of my parents' stuff. It's true some stuff doesn't sell at all, though. And yes, folks say they will come and get something for free, then never show up.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If I am giving something away I put it outside with a sign and put it on CL but I certainly don’t respond to questions.
Ditto, I just turn the email function off. I've had people ask me to deliver it (really, it's free?) or want me to move the item back into my garage until they get off work, or take more pictures, etc.

Either they want it, or they don't.

It's far less hassle to take it to Good Will or Salvation Army, unless it just too unwieldy for us to get in the truck.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Sum, people have a lot of nerve.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote