Join Early Retirement Today

My Fingerprints Are Changing?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Fingerprints Are Changing?

My HP laptop has a fingerprint scanner built in (great feature, by the way. Very quick to log on).

I've noticed this behavior twice:

After about a year, the fingerprint scans become less reliable. I must scan 2-3 times before it recognizes my fingerprint.

I redo the initial learn-my-fingerprint scan, and, bingo, it becomes totally reliable again. Reads the scan first time, every time from then on.

My conclusion is that my fingerprints change. Certainly not enough to go on a crime spree, but enough to matter to the computer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Gotta be a sub plot for a new book.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

After a while, I start getting sloppy about how I place my fingertip on the button and it doesn't register. Every time, I recognize my behavior and make an effort to place it squarely on the sensor and it works as it should.

Maybe something similar is happening to you?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Administrator

I have used a fingerprint sensor twice. First with a Lenovo keyboard, then with the iPhone. I gave up on the Lenovo because it got too difficult to get a good read, this happened after 6 months or so. After more than a year with the iPhone everything is working as well as it did on day 1.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

For my iPhone, I have my finger registered about 3 times. I figure it will eventually match up with one of them. I also had to change fingers once as it never could keep a good match on the first finger I used, only working about once every 10 tries. I stopped using it when I got a cut on it and found my other one was more successful.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
After a while, I start getting sloppy about how I place my fingertip on the button and it doesn't register. Every time, I recognize my behavior and make an effort to place it squarely on the sensor and it works as it should.

Maybe something similar is happening to you?
Good guess, but no. When I start to have problems, I have to be super careful. After I retrain it, it never fails. I can be super sloppy, fast, wet finger, whatever, and it always gets it.

It's a swipe thing, by the way. A great feature, actually. Too bad the software doesn't interface well with web sites, etc.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It could also be that dust and other crud is slowly accumulating in the reader making it harder to match with the reference scan.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Gotta be a sub plot for a new book.
It was around that time he found he could breathe, underwater in the tub, if he squeezed his ribs inward while trying to inhale with a choked throat. Next he realize he could...
Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Good guess, but no. When I start to have problems, I have to be super careful. After I retrain it, it never fails. I can be super sloppy, fast, wet finger, whatever, and it always gets it.

It's a swipe thing, by the way. A great feature, actually. Too bad the software doesn't interface well with web sites, etc.

Have an hp dv7. Fingerprint reader works at login, but Web software is no longer supported.

Spouse had problem using scanner. At the login screen I tried wiping the scanner with a kleenex tissue. It logged me in under her account. True Story...
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Asus has the facial recognition login feature that needs to relearn what I look like pretty often.

I chalk it up to the fact that I'm getting prettier everyday.