Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My good friends at the IRS
Old 10-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Because she was too slow, we had to file for an extension this year.* Then she underestimated what we should pay and so we had to pay more plus interest.*
Martha
Your current hassles do not look like they bode well for the future.
Lots and Lots accountants out there (kinda like lawyers ), don't delay in getting one that actually works FOR YOU!. The decision to change was made by your retired accountant. Now is the time to pick who YOU want. In many ways the potential aggravation factor is even greater with accountants than attorneys.
Good luck with the Service
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #22

Don't you hate it when people retire!?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still do paper returns and keep all the paper in a bag for that tax year. Never trusted the electronic returns. Dont they give you an acceptance code when the return is fully received?

It didnt help that its hard to get both federal and state returns filed electronically without paying someone. I've found separate federal and state software/products/outfits that do it for free, but I'm not too interested in doing my returns twice to save a buck in postage.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #24

Martha,

Have you spoken with any of the attorneys at your firm on an informal basis? Perhaps someone could make a discrete telephone call on your behalf to someone at a supervisory level at the IRS? A friend of mine at my old firm ran into issues with INS, and after one of the immigration partners made a 5-minute telephone call, the issue was quickly resolved.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
I still do paper returns and keep all the paper in a bag for that tax year. Never trusted the electronic returns. Dont they give you an acceptance code when the return is fully received?

It didnt help that its hard to get both federal and state returns filed electronically without paying someone. I've found separate federal and state software/products/outfits that do it for free, but I'm not too interested in doing my returns twice to save a buck in postage.
Well, according the retire@40, the accountants should have an electronic acceptance.

Once this is all resolved, I plan to switch accountants or go it alone. I really liked our old accountant, the one who retired. This new one is never in the office, doesn't return phone calls, and gets things done late.

If you fire a lawyer and you want your file, the lawyer (at least in Minnesota) has to give you your file. What about accountants? Anyone know the practice? I want all my stinkin files. I'll look through my file for the stinkin filing receipt.

EDIT: Jay, our tax guy is out or I would be pestering him.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Well, according the retire@40, the accountants should have an electronic acceptance.

Once this is all resolved, I plan to switch accountants or go it alone.* I really liked our old accountant, the one who retired.* This new one is never in the office, doesn't return phone calls, and get things done late.*

If you fire a lawyer and you want your file, the lawyer (at least in Minnesota) has to give you your file.* What about accountants?* Anyone know the practice?* I want all my stinkin files.* I'll* look through my file* for the stinkin filing receipt.*

I'd be surprised if they tried to withhold your files. I am usually
my own accountant, and when feasible my own attorney as well.
So far, this has saved me a pile of money and not resulted in any
disasters. It's good I can do this as I am so untalented
in technical and DIY areas that I have to hire all of that stuff out.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you fire a lawyer and you want your file, the lawyer (at least in Minnesota) has to give you your file. What about accountants? Anyone know the practice? I want all my stinkin files. I'll look through my file for the stinkin filing receipt.
Our accountant always gave us copies of everything whenever they were filed. We didn't have to ask. We probably have 10+ years of history in some box in a closet somewhere.

We do our own taxes now. Hopefully our new records will be saved
Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Martha,

Have you spoken with any of the attorneys at your firm on an informal basis?* Perhaps someone could make a discrete telephone call on your behalf to someone at a supervisory level at the IRS?* A friend of mine at my old firm ran into issues with INS, and after one of the immigration partners made a 5-minute telephone call, the issue was quickly resolved.
You know, I used to be able to do this (cure others problems with a
phone call). I knew the "players" and had power. Now, a lot of people
probably wouldn't even take my calls

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a similar problem this year.* Our return was filed electronically - We then sent our check off to the IRS* * and three months later received a letter from the IRS stating we owed them our life money.* I called the IRS, they could not find a copy of our posted check.* Funny, because I had the cancelled check in my hand!* *I had to mail a copy in (certified, of course) and* three weeks later received the confirmation from IRS all was right in the world.* You don't mess around with the IRS -- I worked for a corporate tax attorney for many years and saw the penalties and fines add up in hefty sums for some of his tax clients.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #30

Quote:
What about accountants? Anyone know the practice? I want all my stinkin files. I'll look through my file for the stinkin filing receipt.
Martha - Our CPA sends everything back to us. We sign, write checks and mail. We also get return copies and the supporting documents. Her firm keeps records of the returns.
Hope this is soon behind you.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a thought... as a result of your filing your return did did IRS remit money They wouldn't have returned overpaid taxes if you didn't file a return.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Just a thought... as a result of your filing your return did* did IRS remit money* They wouldn't have returned overpaid taxes if you didn't file a return.
People like Martha don't take cash refunds, they usually apply any refund toward the following year's taxes.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me try some double-dipping with the IRS too. First I will make sure that I get a large refund. Will cash the check and then get back to them and say I never got anything and I want more money. Now that is some easy money. If the IRS does it, I can do it.

Or is that a felony?

Vicky
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:33 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This new one is never in the office, doesn't return phone calls, and gets things done late.
That's just their way of letting you know that you don't pay them enough to qualify for "valued customer" status, or else your return is too complicated for their liking! They can't kick you out, but they can make you want to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Let me try some double-dipping with the IRS too. First I will make sure that I get a large refund. Will cash the check and then get back to them and say I never got anything and I want more money. Now that is some easy money. If the IRS does it, I can do it.

Or is that a felony?

Vicky
You could try this woman's approach, which last time netted $2.1 million. The amazing thing is that she keeps doing it and the IRS keeps sending her the checks.

Anyone happen to know Bill Gates' SSN?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Anyone happen to know Bill Gates' SSN?
539-60-5125

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:51 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
539-60-5125
Hey, that got 88 hits on Google. Gosh I love the Internet.

Can't say the same about the SEC...

Now all I have to do is file "my" tax return before Bill's accountant.* If he's using Martha's accountant that'll be no problem!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Hey, that got 88 hits on Google. Gosh I love the Internet.

Can't say the same about the SEC...

Now all I have to do is file "my" tax return before Bill's accountant. If he's using Martha's accountant that'll be no problem!
Be careful, the IRS may get confused and send you Gates' tax bill and I don't think it's $50.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
The accountants that efiled for you should have an "Acknowledgement Report" showing your name, your social security number, an "accepted" status, and the date it was accepted.
Martha,

I have E-filed twice from Thailand. R@40 is correct, I always received an acknowledgement report, verifying that my 1040 was "accepted."

Hang in there, wear 'em down, LOL!

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote