My good friends at the IRS

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Every few years my firm does a check to make sure all lawyers are filing their tax returns. It is considered a violation of professional responsibility rules not to file. Well the IRS came back and said I haven't filed returns for 2004, 2003 and 2002. Now am fussing with the new accountant (our old one retired) to try to get proof of the electronic filing and digging out copies of checks to the IRS. What an irritant. :rant: And I have that little nagging feeling about what would happen if we can't prove we filed. Where is the "scream" emoticon?

There go your Supreme Court chances!

I am beginning to wonder about their network.  My son's business made tax deposits as required, has canceled checks to prove it, but IRS can't find the $!

Martha said:
Every few years my firm does a check to make sure all lawyers are filing their tax returns.  It is considered a violation of professional responsibility rules not to file.  Well the IRS came back and said I haven't filed returns for 2004, 2003 and 2002.  Now am fussing with the new accountant (our old one retired) to try to get proof of the electronic filing and digging out copies of checks to the IRS. What an irritant.   :rant:  And I have that little nagging feeling about what would happen if we can't prove we filed.   Where is the "scream" emoticon?

I doubt you would end up in the slammer as did the other famous
Martha. OTOH, almost everyone who gets in trouble with the IRS
has a bout of fear and loathing, innocent or not.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I doubt you would end up in the slammer as did the other famous
Martha. OTOH, almost everyone who gets in trouble with the IRS
has a bout of fear and loathing, innocent or not.

JG

Yeah, it is like feeling nervous just because a cop car passes you, even if you are doing everything just right.

Martha said:
Every few years my firm does a check to make sure all lawyers are filing their tax returns.  It is considered a violation of professional responsibility rules not to file.  Well the IRS came back and said I haven't filed returns for 2004, 2003 and 2002.
Does this mean that your firm will accelerate your gaol goal to reduce your work hours?

See, the IRS doesnt scare me a bit.

They're sort of like the mob. Play more or less within the rules, if something becomes amiss, a little money or a little explanation usually solves the problem.

Over the last several years, I have gotten letters from the IRS for minor clerical errors that got resolved quickly with no money exchange. Since I am a closet larcenist (unlike JimmyCarter I have larceny is my heart) , my pulse goes from 45 to 90 whenever I get these or other unannounced letters. I think it may be due to my ingrained European upbringing that you are guilty until proven innocent.

Yes I did it (I think?). I deserve the chair. :bat: :dead:

You might contact the IRS, and explain the problem. It may just be a minor clerical error that they can resolve. They may also look up your record, and send you some paper work verifying filing, or call your boss to verify it.

If the first person can't help, wait a bit and call back. This will likely give you someone else to talk to who may be able to help. I have noticed wide variations in agent skill. They have generally wanted to be helpful any time I called.

Michael said:
They have generally wanted to be helpful any time I called.

That has also been my experience.

MJ said:
... my pulse goes from 45 to 90 whenever I get these or other unannounced letters.
I've done three years of tax returns for a small non-profit. I learned the rules, I followed all the directions, and I didn't cut any corners, but you only learn your mistakes when the lightning strikes.

Yesterday, with just two months left on my sentence term, the dreaded letter arrived with the IRS' return address. My pulse rate was almost as high as my blood pressure.

It turns out that our non-profit probationary period has ended and they just want another form to give us final approval. Whew.

Martha,

I just read your happiness thread. Now I understand your bit of angst! Good luck!

Dreamer

Alas, it seems to still be true; this paperless, wireless thing isn't working. The guy with the most paper wins.

I  still mail in my return and don't do computerized bill pay. Copies and receipts? I got em shootin' out my ass.

BUM said:
Alas, it seems to still be true; this paperless, wireless thing isn't working. The guy with the most paper wins.

I  still mail in my return and don't do computerized bill pay. Copies and receipts? I got em shootin' out my ass.

Yeah, me too. I do almost nothing on line. The other day I was
a little late sending a check, so I called (CC company)
to make a direct payment from my checking account.
Their automated system said I had to be "registered" first.
I mailed a check and hope it makes the due date.

JG

It is interesting that all three returns were filed electronically.

Still not resolved.

Not having a copy of your (tax) return printed for your records is like sending Murphy a direct invitation to visit you and remind you he's still around.   ;-)   

I go a little overboard;  without looking in my file cabinet i think i have returns dating back to 1997. Probably keeping the past 5 years though is sufficent for most cases.

I have copies of tax returns going back to the early 80s. But I don't have proof of filing. Frankly, I am surprised that there isn't a filing receipt from the electronic filing with the accountants who filed the returns.

The checks were sent in separately. I do have cancelled checks from the past several years.

So it should work out. :-\

With the cancelled checks you should be all set! Yay. But if you're like me, you won't be able to relax until it's all been resolved.

I have a phobia of all government interaction. I think it stems from some early bad experiences with the DMV, followed by booster shots from mixups with other government agencies.

Martha said:
I have copies of tax returns going back to the early 80s.  But I don't have proof of filing.  Frankly, I am surprised that there isn't a filing receipt from the electronic filing with the accountants who filed the returns.

The accountants that efiled for you should have an "Acknowledgement Report" showing your name, your social security number, an "accepted" status, and the date it was accepted.

Thanks retire@40. I'll ask the accountant about it. Part of the problem is that our original accountant retired and sold his practice to another accountant that I am not the least bit thrilled with. Because she was too slow, we had to file for an extension this year. Then she underestimated what we should pay and so we had to pay more plus interest.

Martha said:
Because she was too slow, we had to file for an extension this year.  Then she underestimated what we should pay and so we had to pay more plus interest. 
Martha
Your current hassles do not look like they bode well for the future.
Lots and Lots accountants out there (kinda like lawyers ;) ), don't delay in getting one that actually works FOR YOU!. The decision to change was made by your retired accountant. Now is the time to pick who YOU want. In many ways the potential aggravation factor is even greater with accountants than attorneys.
Good luck with the Service
nwsteve

I still do paper returns and keep all the paper in a bag for that tax year. Never trusted the electronic returns. Dont they give you an acceptance code when the return is fully received?

It didnt help that its hard to get both federal and state returns filed electronically without paying someone. I've found separate federal and state software/products/outfits that do it for free, but I'm not too interested in doing my returns twice to save a buck in postage.

Martha,

Have you spoken with any of the attorneys at your firm on an informal basis? Perhaps someone could make a discrete telephone call on your behalf to someone at a supervisory level at the IRS? A friend of mine at my old firm ran into issues with INS, and after one of the immigration partners made a 5-minute telephone call, the issue was quickly resolved.

() said:
I still do paper returns and keep all the paper in a bag for that tax year. Never trusted the electronic returns. Dont they give you an acceptance code when the return is fully received?

It didnt help that its hard to get both federal and state returns filed electronically without paying someone. I've found separate federal and state software/products/outfits that do it for free, but I'm not too interested in doing my returns twice to save a buck in postage.

Well, according the retire@40, the accountants should have an electronic acceptance.

Once this is all resolved, I plan to switch accountants or go it alone. I really liked our old accountant, the one who retired. This new one is never in the office, doesn't return phone calls, and gets things done late.

If you fire a lawyer and you want your file, the lawyer (at least in Minnesota) has to give you your file. What about accountants? Anyone know the practice? I want all my stinkin files. I'll look through my file for the stinkin filing receipt. :mad:

EDIT: Jay, our tax guy is out or I would be pestering him. :)

Back
Top Bottom