My High School Annual

Never heard the term, annual," either. It was always "yearbook."

The HS yearbook editors messed up my yearbook in a way I will never forgive them for. I was in two after-school clubs, the chess club and the Mathletes. I led both teams to successful seasons in my senior year, finishing near the top in the county. But for neither club was there even a team photo included in the yearbook. All the other clubs, sports and non-sports, had pictures, some with pictures of individual seniors. But with my two clubs, it was if they didn't exist at all. Shameful and stupid. I put in a lot of time and effort with those two clubs and was ignored by the yearbook staff.

I mentioned this to my HS principal and the best he could do for me was to give me, at no charge, a copy of the previous year's yearbook which had group pictures of my two clubs and they included me in them.

I seem to recall that each year in HS they would hand out blank forms asking each of us to list all of the clubs, teams, awards etc. for the yearbook. I recall loading up my sheet in my senior year as I signed up for every sports team, "cool guy" clubs, smart guy clubs etc. I did not purchase the edition so I don't recall if it worked, but someone once mentioned to me that they did not know that I was so active in HS. I wasn't.

I seem to recall that each year in HS they would hand out blank forms asking each of us to list all of the clubs, teams, awards etc. for the yearbook. I recall loading up my sheet in my senior year as I signed up for every sports team, "cool guy" clubs, smart guy clubs etc. I did not purchase the edition so I don't recall if it worked, but someone once mentioned to me that they did not know that I was so active in HS. I wasn't.

Interesting scheme but it wouldn't have worked for me. My school was small enough that the yearbook staff knew everyone and they just plugged you in where they knew you belonged. Moreover, as four of my six senior classes were taught by either my dad or my uncle, nothing slipped through the cracks. Judgement for such an infraction would have been both swift and sure and the discipline - much like my bonds - painful and of long duration...

Back
Top Bottom