My High School Annual

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
De-cluttering for move in the next month. DW is throwing away her high school and college annuals... I'm inclined to keep maybe the Jr and Sr HS annual and ditch the rest.

Do you still have your annuals?

If so, do the margins contain lines about how sweet, cute and nice you were?

My favorite line is 'Remember Grant, Remember Lee, to hell with them, Remember Me!'

De-cluttering for move in the next month. DW is throwing away her high school and college annuals... I'm inclined to keep maybe the Jr and Sr HS annual and ditch the rest.

The DW and I still have our senior year books. Mine will be 50 years old in a few more years and it's held up better than I have.:LOL:

The high school and the community I grew up in is on Facebook. I sometimes look at my 1968 annual and compare it with their photos on F/B.

Boy, those people sure do look old.

When I look in the mirror, all I see is blonde hair. My grandson told me last night that my blonde hair was actually white in front and gray in the back. Oh, well. At least I still have hair. And I still think young.

I have a 71 and a 72 yearbook from HS. I never really look at them, but they don't consume much space. There are some messages from classmates in the inside covers.

DW and I graduated in the same class and we both have out yearbooks. We rarely look at them other than perhaps just before a class reunion or if we hear a classmate has died.

Scanned and tossed, just like everything else, right after retirement.

I look at these and my other old records more often now that they are just sitting on the computer.

My aunt passed away last year. My cousin found my grandparents' yearbooks. It was fascinating to realize that the activities groups were the same as many today--football team, band, theater, etc.

No computer club back in 1921, though.

We'll hang onto the yearbooks. And the elementary class pictures...they don't take much space. I have finally thrown out my med school notes, and all of my obsolete textbooks. I have kept one paper from UC Berkeley, a paper from graduate level biochemistry course. I wrote about a very complex topic, wrote very well, and no longer fully understand what the heck I was saying, since biochemistry research wasn't part of my career. I keep it as a matter of pride, a reminder of what I could/can do if I apply myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have mine. I also have my parents' and grandmother's annuals. I realized how much fun we had looking through theirs, so will probably keep them all for my children and grandchildren.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Lost mine years ago during a move. My brother has his I think so I could look at them if I wanted. No interest though. When I see some of my high school friends (infrequent) I always wonder what we had in common. Certainly little at this point.

I finally pitched all my old university text books and notes. My chemistry book listed the elements as Air Earth Fire and Water.

But, I did keep the Senior HS yearbook. DW even has the Junior HS yearbook (went to HS together - long story.)

Did the 50th HS reunion this summer. Mostly just old people I had forgotten with a few exceptions. Still, I plan on keeping the yearbook and let someone else pitch it after I'm gone.

Until this thread I had never heard of a junior HS yearbook.

Yep. They don't take up much space, and provide a fun way to look back on an important part of my life. Plus, I was on the yearbook staff, so I recall helping with some of the layouts, taking some of the pictures, etc.

DH and I still have all of our HS and college yearbooks. Can't tell you the last time we opened them.

Have all my Jr. High and High School yearbooks. Go back and read some of the messages left in them and all the old pictures. Reminds me of good and bad times. Part of who I am today.

Also, fun to look at how old those old schoolmates are and glad I don't look any older. :)

I have Jr.HS and HS yearbooks, look at them once a year. No one in my class I really keep up with and there is a class website that updates occasionally.

I went to 5 high schools, so I didn't really know anybody even when I was there. I have one FB friend from high school, but that's it. I do have a couple of yearbooks, but no real reason to keep them. I haven't looked in them since graduation (40 years ago).

I have my Jr & Sr year books. One of my 'friends' wrote stuff that was sooooo bad I had to paste a blank piece of construction paper over it (although I can't recall what it was). A tamer statement started out with: "You are a swell plant. You are as crazy as a newborn piece of sh_t"

Wonderful time of life, but not as good as now!

I've held onto my HS annuals from '67 thru '70 and have no plans to get rid of them anytime soon. I came from a small, rural community and there were about 30 in my graduating class. I've found over the years that folks from my HS keep in better contact than most schools several times as large (and have several Facebook groups) and I do enjoy comparing "now vs. then" photos. A few years ago I digitized my annuals into indexed, searchable PDFs and have given these to several old classmates who had lost their hard copies and had assumed they'd never get their hands on one again. So these digital copies were gratefully received and it was a fun project which kept me out of trouble for a few evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

"Annuals" versus "Yearbooks"

I'm just curious - I've only ever heard them called "(High School) Year Books". Kind of a funny term now that I analyze it. I don't ever recall hearing them called 'annuals'.

Is that a regional thing? Generational? I wonder if it comes up in that dialect quiz that could pinpoint where you were raised based on these sorts of regional differences (gym shoes versus sneakers versus tennis shoes, etc)?

-ERD50

I'm just curious - I've only ever heard them called "(High School) Year Books". Kind of a funny term now that I analyze it. I don't ever recall hearing them called 'annuals'.

Is that a regional thing? Generational?
In CA during the 1970s, I know the terms were pretty much interchangeable, but most students called them"yearbooks." I suppose one slight shading of useage was that a particular edition was usually called a "yearbook" ("Did you buy the 1980 yearbook?") whereas the overall publication type was often called an "annual" ("Jostens' major products are high school annuals and class rings", "I'm on the annual staff")

In Northeast Ohio, we only ever called them yearbooks. Never heard of the term annual until this thread.

omni

Back
Top Bottom